Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
We aren't saying that the image is not real, just that there is a black border between the onscreen image and the bezel of the screen in the above picture, it is not a proper representation of the screen size of the 15".

More acurate:
product-front-15.jpg

YUP!

That picture is a far more accurate representation. The image in the other one is bordered by black on each side, making the 15" look like a netbook.

Everything else is right on. And I was one of those buyers that was suckered into getting the 15" way back when, then once I finally got my 17" I will never regret getting the bigger book with larger screen and more power.

And truthfully, there isn't any difference in carrying the 17" or using it in a public place. For working pros its a far better option than the 15" IMHO.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Buy the 15" and the extra battery. With the ACD, you should be fine.

BTW, what do you use the computer for?

The usual basics, surfing, music etc. Plus I would like to watch movies on it. I also do quite a bit of photo editing. Nothing really to intensive with Photoshop. but I mostly do that at home where I figured the 24" screen would come in handy.

I also want to use it for gaming. I used to use my 12" Dell but the screen size was a bit of a pain even though it was a high res.

I was thinking though, If you are going to carry around a 15" mbp with an extra battery then its the same weight as the 17". The 17" is just a big larger around the edges.

How long is the battery life people are averaging for their MBP 15"s?

8GB of ram is something that would be useful as soon as the price comes down to a reasonable level.

And I know I want at least the 2.53 15" or the 2.66 17" just for the fact they have the added video ram which should be useful for OpenCL if Snow Leopard will take advantage of that.

I really have no clue what to get. My target buy date is 02/13. Because I figure the new 17" ones will be out a bit so there could be a few reviews on them and I get my tax return back. :D

Did a bit more digging around and made this..

21397-MacBook-Pro-17-Aluminum-Unibody-vs-MacBook-Pro-15-Aluminum-Unibody

Doesn't really seem like that big of a difference. Its only 1.12" wider and .69" deeper. or 162.59 vs 137.76 sq inches. So a 24.83 sq inch difference.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Ok, genius, I didn't say the picture was fake. Nor was I whining as you put it. Get a clue and learn to read!

I can read and what i read was whining.
You critised the legitimacy of the photo, which would be suggesting it isnt real, unless you mean in Chinese maybe?!?!

anyway you can see how much more real estate you get from the 17" clearly from the Apple site, not only is it 2" diagonly but its much wider and much taller, however retains a footprint similar to the 15".

And to people complaining its too heavy to carry, its only 1lb more and even my little sister wouldnt complain about that.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The usual basics, surfing, music etc. Plus I would like to watch movies on it. I also do quite a bit of photo editing. Nothing really to intensive with Photoshop. but I mostly do that at home where I figured the 24" screen would come in handy.

I also want to use it for gaming. I used to use my 12" Dell but the screen size was a bit of a pain even though it was a high res.

I was thinking though, If you are going to carry around a 15" mbp with an extra battery then its the same weight as the 17". The 17" is just a big larger around the edges.

This changes things a bit. If you are only going to be running games, which will be a little bit easier to play on a 17" screen, then you might want to consider the 15" MBP instead. Take the extra cash and spring for Windows XP or Vista and run that under boot camp.

Simply because the benefit of the 17" over the 15" really shines when it comes to the hard core side of computer, Pro video/photo/audio, diehard gaming, CADD, etc.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
This changes things a bit. If you are only going to be running games, which will be a little bit easier to play on a 17" screen, then you might want to consider the 15" MBP instead. Take the extra cash and spring for Windows XP or Vista and run that under boot camp.

Simply because the benefit of the 17" over the 15" really shines when it comes to the hard core side of computer, Pro video/photo/audio, diehard gaming, CADD, etc.

I have 3 copies of XP and about 5 copies of Vista. All legal mind you. lol

I think my best bet might be to wait until I see some reviews of the 17" and make a decision that way. Cause there are to many pros and cons for each one.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
I can read and what i read was whining.
You critised the legitimacy of the photo, which would be suggesting it isnt real, unless you mean in Chinese maybe?!?!

anyway you can see how much more real estate you get from the 17" clearly from the Apple site, not only is it 2" diagonly but its much wider and much taller, however retains a footprint similar to the 15".

And to people complaining its too heavy to carry, its only 1lb more and even my little sister wouldnt complain about that.

Again READ what I typed, or do I need to quote that to? I said "BE REAL" and that the photo does not represent the screen properly in the photo. It doesn't! I did NOT say it was fake. The photo, due to the image, makes the 15" look like it has a 3" border.

Again read to comprehend what one is typing. Again, there was no whining in my original post - if you consider that whining, then you must be apparently on the ground throwing a tantrum.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Again READ what I typed, or do I need to quote that to? I said "BE REAL" and that the photo does not represent the screen properly in the photo. It doesn't! I did NOT say it was fake. The photo, due to the image, makes the 15" look like it has a 3" border.

Again read to comprehend what one is typing. Again, there was no whining in my original post - if you consider that whining, then you must be apparently on the ground throwing a tantrum.

It was a real photo so i was being real, end of story.

JayEllo

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2009
just looking at it again, it does make the 17" look ENORMOUS. Is it possible the computer on the side is the Macbook instead for the MBP 15?

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
Plus a faster, newer model processor as standard
You get up to 2.8GHz intel core 2 duo processor on the 15" macbook pro... so a 2.93GHz is not much of a difference.

Also the 15" has the same graphic card speck as the 17"

Plus a longer (lot longer!!) battery life as standard
I can buy extra batteries to have more juice then a 8hour limit. Which is good for people who travel or live on an island without electricity.

Plus better cooling due to extra space
If you want to cool your Macbook Pro, use air-conditioner or one of those base fans.

Plus a double quaility screen, with capability for 1.7million colours (doubke 15")
A 15" Macbook Pro + Apple's 24" cinema display = 1920 by 1200 pixels + 16.7 million colors.

Plus Higher definition screen (almost complete HD, 15" is far lower resolution)
You get much Higher definition screen with the 24" cinema display.

Plus one more usb port
The 24" cinema display adds 3 more USB ports

And all this for only $300 more = Bargain.
With $899 you turn your MacBook Pro into an iMac.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I had a 17" Powerbook G4 for years, and the one compliant I had was that it really was a pain to carry around (I bought it for video work, and I had no external screen). Due to the size and weight, I ended up not taking it with me unless I absolutely needed it (I now have an Air, which is the complete opposite end and take it everywhere).

Since you are getting the LED screen, the 15" is really the way to go due to the portability, as those extra two inches pushes the weight from 5.5 to 6.6 pounds, a 20% increase. The 6 pound mark is really a tipping point in terms of everyday portability.

You really will not notice much of a difference in performance between the two. Also, the resolution would be nice, but it is not that big of a deal.

If I were you, I would go down to an Apple Store and feel the difference your self. If you can stand the extra size and weight, by all means go with the 17".

guest8t88

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Look how much more screen space you get with the 17" compared to the 15"

MBP17uni2.png

Plus a faster, newer model processor as standard

Plus a longer (lot longer!!) battery life as standard

Plus better cooling due to extra space

Plus a double quaility screen, with capability for 1.7million colours (doubke 15")

Plus Higher definition screen (almost complete HD, 15" is far lower resolution)

Plus one more usb port

And all this for only $300 more = Bargain.

More Info for you:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Which_Apple_notebook_should_I_buy?

Main reason I waited for the 17" was the antiglare and the screen size, due to fact, I have no room for an external screen. Was loosing alittle joy, for if the 15" had had antiglare, I would have bought that one, now after reading good things about the glossy screen, I started to consider that, thou I know I would hate the reflection. The pictures and overlook from this quote, convinced me that I made the right choice.
Now I just wait for the book...

Rup

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2006
I have the current 17 and have the new 17 on order. It's definately worth the $$$ and not that heavy either. Think is the thinnest lightest 17 around?
If you think it too heavy goto the gym you weaklings :)

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I was just a Bestbuy looking at the 15" MBP cause its a lot closer then my local Apple Store. And I think I have made a decision.

Looking around at the PC Laptops I noticed a trend. Almost every single one of them was 15". Some less then 15" but mostly all 15" Out of say the 30 laptops they had there. Only 2 were over 15". One was 17" and the other was 16". Comparing the 17" to the 15" next to it the screen real estate really isn't that different.

Then I was Looking at the Speck Hard shells for the MBP's. And comparing the size of the 17" to the 15" And even though the 17" is only a little bit bigger, it does seem quite a bit larger in physical size. Not enough that toting it around the house it would make a difference but I think lugging it around out side to work, friends houses etc that it would be a little bit of a pain.

So I think that I have finally made my decision...

Get the 15" MBP 2.53Ghz
24" LED ACD

and then take the $325 I save (Price difference + tax) and get a new Wireless N router, a laptop stand, a laptop sleeve, wireless mouse, BT AK and an iPhone dock. Oh and a express card media card reader that I found at best buy for $5. :D Which was originally $37.

Thanks for your help guys!!!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
I was just a Bestbuy looking at the 15" MBP cause its a lot closer then my local Apple Store. And I think I have made a decision.

Looking around at the PC Laptops I noticed a trend. Almost every single one of them was 15". Some less then 15" but mostly all 15" Out of say the 30 laptops they had there. Only 2 were over 15". One was 17" and the other was 16". Comparing the 17" to the 15" next to it the screen real estate really isn't that different.

Then I was Looking at the Speck Hard shells for the MBP's. And comparing the size of the 17" to the 15" And even though the 17" is only a little bit bigger, it does seem quite a bit larger in physical size. Not enough that toting it around the house it would make a difference but I think lugging it around out side to work, friends houses etc that it would be a little bit of a pain.

Get the 15" MBP 2.53Ghz
24" LED ACD

and then take the $325 I save (Price difference + tax) and get a new Wireless N router, a laptop stand, a laptop sleeve, wireless mouse, BT AK and an iPhone dock. Oh and a express card media card reader that I found at best buy for $5. :D Which was originally $37.

Good choice, I love this setup!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Get the 15" MBP 2.53Ghz
24" LED ACD

I told you to do this.... how many posts ago?:rolleyes:

Seriously though, congrats and yes, this is the best option for you. :)

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
I told you to do this.... how many posts ago?:rolleyes:

Seriously though, congrats and yes, this is the best option for you. :)

I know... but you originally said 17" on the first page... So you confused me a bit :confused:

Now if I only I could find a Wireless N router that I like. I want one that has a USB port so I can print wirelessly. And maybe even use it with my External HDD.

nopassn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
Kansas City
I know... but you originally said 17" on the first page... So you confused me a bit :confused:

Now if I only I could find a Wireless N router that I like. I want one that has a USB port so I can print wirelessly. And maybe even use it with my External HDD.

I've got the Linksys 610N and I love it. I went through 3 other Wireless N routers before I settled upon the 610N. I have my router in my A/V room in the basement and none of the other ones could seem to push a good signal up one floor and over to the far end of the house (I know, I'm asking a lot, but I was willing to spend a bit more) - Ultimately, the 610 does mroe than I need and has better signal than any other router I've had in my house (about a half dozen now) - I've got a small external hard drive hooked up to it and it works great.

nopassn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
Kansas City
I am thinking about getting this setup. Lets me use my printer, and many external storage devices at one time.

Linksys WRT160N Router

Seems to be a decent wireless N router at an alright price.

And this networked USB Hub

Belkin F5L009 5-port USB Hub

Hoping they would play nice with each other.

After the recent news about Belkin, and buying positive reviews on Amazon, and other places, and the speculation that their business is rapidly failing, I would steer WELL clear of ANYTHING with the Belkin name on it.

some links with insight: http://i.gizmodo.com/5133627/belkin-rep-pays-for-positive-reviews-of-belkin-products-on-amazon

http://i.gizmodo.com/5134652/belkin-employee-sheds-light-on-belkins-supposedly-dirty-practices

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
After the recent news about Belkin, and buying positive reviews on Amazon, and other places, and the speculation that their business is rapidly failing, I would steer WELL clear of ANYTHING with the Belkin name on it.

some links with insight: http://i.gizmodo.com/5133627/belkin-rep-pays-for-positive-reviews-of-belkin-products-on-amazon

http://i.gizmodo.com/5134652/belkin-employee-sheds-light-on-belkins-supposedly-dirty-practices

Yea I know about their shenanigans. But what can you do? They make a product that seems to be promising for what I need it for.

The other option would be to get an Apple APE but I haven't heard that many great things about it. Plus the $179 price tag is killer :eek:

nopassn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2009
Kansas City
Yea I know about their shenanigans. But what can you do? They make a product that seems to be promising for what I need it for.

The other option would be to get an Apple APE but I haven't heard that many great things about it. Plus the $179 price tag is killer :eek:

Fair enough... I tried the fancy-pants Belkin Router - the one with the display - and while the signal was decent, the thing dropped link with my cable modem several times a day - which would require me to go power cycle both the cable modem and router to get back on. The attached storage worked inside my network, but not outside... But, if the price is right, I suppose it is worth a shot...

I'm still on the fence. I want the 17, but at the same time, I could go pick up at 15 right now. Perhaps if I knew the date they would be in stock, in store I could decide...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.