MBP matte screen = freakin' gorgeous

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kis, Aug 25, 2009.

1. kis macrumors 65816

I received my matte MBP today (sold my glossy one the second the matte version became available). Man, the difference is MASSIVE. That screen is absolutely perfect - very evenly lit, excellent viewing angle, great colors. I can only recommend it. I also like the silver frame. Makes the whole device look less cheap.

2. CompanionCube macrumors regular

CompanionCube

The black bezel around the Glossy display does not look "cheap", in fact it does two things. It makes the MBP look like a more professional product, and it improves color reproduction and color balance for the human eye. The glossy display has greater color balance, better black reproduction, better contrast, and provides a sharper picture than the matte option. Believe me, you do not know more than Apples engineers. The matte display is certainly a downgrade.

It's quite humorous to watch though....

3. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Keep trying to convince yourself fella. ;)

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Keep telling yourself that. All the photographers will do otherwise.

5. nigameash macrumors 6502

+1

it goes on n on :p but the fact is that the matte is better than glossy! its like the saying vista sux vs vista is good! :p

6. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

To be honest guys, and I'm saying this as a photographer...I am growing to like the glossy screen more and more. The only thing I like more about the matte screen is the lack of glare. Otherwise, the glossy is absolutely by far more pleasing to the eye. The sharpness alone is what makes it pop. I had a non-unibody matte MBP, and going to the glossy display was like night and day.

I'm certainly glad they listened and brought the option back though. I use a matte NEC external for any serious editing, so the matte on my MBP was unnecessary at the time.

7. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Ignorance is such a bliss.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

He's not. He's right.

9. Hopsdaballa04 macrumors regular

Hey man put up some pictures of the 15" Antiglare..

10. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Agree 100%. I love and prefer the glossy display as it the contrast appears much higher and the picture more sharp.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Attached Files:

12. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Don't like it.. sorry. Looks a bit crap on the new uMBPs.. But no worries, I have a matte screen with a silver frame too, so we can both wallow in crap screen purgatory :(

13. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

I honestly think both screen types are nice and see why certain people prefer one or the other. Honestly though, the silver border looks like crap. Maybe its the rubber piece that runs along the very outside that throws it off.

14. stuarthatto macrumors regular

I have a matte 15" MBP silver surround and a glossy 15" MBP black surround - the glossy wins hands down for clarity and quality of image - the glare gets annoying occasionally but guess what... it's a laptop so I can move it :eek:

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm happy the OP is happy but I have to agree with the above poster. Unless you really want to kid yourself colors are bolder and blacks are richer on a glossy screen.

I do a TON of photography and print on glossy paper most of the time. The only way to get the color accuracy I'm after is to edit on my glossy monitor (I have a matte monitor for matte prints, and a glossy monitor for editing glossy prints).

Glossy definitely has the bolder richer colors.

16. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I knew you'd love it.

The matte LED backlit screens are brighter, more vivid and the colors looks so much more natural than the led glossy displays. Enjoy!!

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

"Keep telling yourself that darling" -Jack Sparrow

18. L0s7man macrumors 6502

For the glossy vs matte debate:

While laptop makers are going glossy crazy, check out the external LCD market. How many glossy screens are out there? Few; if you look, you can buy a glossy 20-odd inch screen or whatever, but almost all of them are matte! And there's a reason for that.

And other than Apple, there are no IPS/PVA glossy screens! Not a single one. You can only get crappy TN.

Or lets look at professional screens -> does Eizo make glossy screens? No. Does LaCie make glossy screens? No! See a pattern here?

19. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I love glossy so much, if I'm forced to use matte I leave my laptop outside and use it through the living room window. (just kidding..)

Glossy screens produce richer colours. Matte screens have less glare. Depending on which factor is more important to you, you'll prefer one over the other. Can't we all just accept that, and get along? :p

20. phixiuz macrumors regular

I quote:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146

So you tell me how you are gonna get better contrast and black reproduction with the same panel although glossy finish and a 0.55mm glass panel on it?

I'll sure be happy with my MBP 15" with matte option in a week or two! Though I'd love the looks of the black bezel and the glass, I just can't imagine working on that thing without the reflections irritating me. Plus I need atleast 4-6 hours of battery life a day without charge, I don't think I'm gonna get that with the glossy one, since I'd have to turn up the brightness a lot more to keep it convenient. With the matte screen, having a lower brightness, would be still perfectly doable, you can't do that with a glossy I think. Turn a glossy on less than half the brightness and I think it's simply undoable in a lot of situations, whereas with the matte you'd still be able to work fine.

21. Eshyn macrumors member

You all sound like a bunch of kids arguing, you know?

It's all about personal preference.

22. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I find it interesting that when the glass screens first came out they were dismissed as being "non-pro" and Apple was criticized heavily for appealing to consumers as opposed to visual professionals. (Because the idea I'm used to seeing around these boards is: gloss = consumer, matte = pro)

However, from what I gather from this thread (and ones like it), it seems like the sentiment has changed o_O. I guess a lot of people have changed their mind?

23. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'd like to add that while the glossy display does look good in its own way, it looks tacky to me. :D

24. phixiuz macrumors regular

It's just Apple marketing. A lot of the people who bought a unibody before the matte option was out just feel F'ed in the A and just wanna come defend their purchase on these forums without any decent arguments, that's what it is :).