MBP or MB ( its killing me)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hellzprince1, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hellzprince1 macrumors member

Im going to be a medical student and only use a pc for internet and microsoft office. I just want to know if I should really get the MBP or MB. I was thinking MBP for a while but, realized that its is really for video editing and stuff graphics which I don't do. I really like the 15.4 inch screen vs the 13.3 for the MB but I don't know if its worth a grand extra. I also want office to run smoothly on my MB want your input as to what to do. Also the MB are nothing going to be updated soon but the MBP's are so that is another thing. Thanks

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

MacBook should be fine for your needs for at least a year or two, if not more. If you don't do much editing or gaming, the MacBook is more than fast enough.

3. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

personally i would go for a second hand macbook pro, they are thinner, and really really cool!

4. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

i was trying to decide the samething. but go with the MB the MBP is overkill because you wont use it for graphics or video editing. take the money you saved and get an external display if you want a bigger screen.

5. Nuks macrumors 6502a

get the macbook for sure. with the extra money you can get a cheap external if you really need the extra space, another gig of ram to help with office, and still have money left over.

6. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

would the 2.2 ghz mac book not be good enough for Microsoft office. I mean it would bethe same as a 2.2 MBP. right?

7. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

2.2 is more than enough, I'm running Office on a 1.66GHz machine right now.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I've had both and now have an Macbook Air. For writing and surfing, having a large screen is wonderful and something you won't regret. The MBP is a great computer and so is the macbook, but the MBP is of higher quality with better screen, better speakers (for watching DVDs etc), nicer 'feel', backlit keyboard (surprisingly useful feature!) etc.

On the other hand, the macbook has better battery life, better wifi reception/range, easily upgradeable hard drive, nice magnetic closing system and a smaller and more portable form factor. And it's cheaper.

I still say go for a macbook pro. Or, as somebody suggested, just get a second hand one with applecare - they're much cheaper and will probably be just fine if you get from the right person. Find a mac fanatic to buy from!

9. marklight macrumors 6502

Just my two cents-

If by medical student you mean pre-med then you have a bit of college ahead of you. Even if you are going into med school this may apply:

I would really consider the low end MBP and here's why. First you get 2GB of ram which is almost essential in my opinion (I know you can buy more ram for the macbook but it's just one last thing you gotta worry about on the MBP) . Secondly and maybe this isn't as important to you as it is to me, but the 15" screen is nice, especially if you're going to be using it as your primary computer.

Lastly, I have used - and in some cases I'm still using- an 867mhz powerbook G4. This machine would not hold up to todays tasks as well if it didn't have a decent (at the time) graphics card. I really think that having a graphics card - even if you do not do gaming or high level editing work - adds to the longevity of your computer.

10. soms macrumors 6502

soms

If you can get a refurb MBP or a used one go for it, otherwise save the cash and get the MB; sounds like it would suit you best.

11. bijou macrumors regular

bijou

MB weighs about 5 pounds.
    15" MBP weighs about 5.4 pounds.

My suggestion would be to get the middle MacBook, then treat yourself to a nice MBP or MBA when you graduate. You're only a student not a doctor yet so a MB is a great choice.

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

13. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

I would recommend the MB and up the RAM to 4 GB from a 3rd party.

14. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

I have a ibm laptop right now and it has 33gigs on it. I have used only 10 in the past four years. I understand you about the 15 in screen. Do they do the refurbished discount together with the student discount from a store or it is only one or the other.

15. heatmiser macrumors 68020

One or the other. The better deal is always going to be the refurb, at least in the US. Your usage habits suggest you'd be more than fine with an entry Macbook. I wouldn't get the MBP unless you absolutely needed the larger screen (in which case, I'd rec a Macbook + an external display).

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Suggest MBP over the MB for the following reasons:
    - Bigger display.
    - Matte screen option -- much better for reading over long periods of time.
    - Much better keyboard. Backlit as well.
    - Bigger external monitor support.
    - Express card slot.
    - FW800. Quicker backups.
    - Better graphics.
    - DVI video out -- don't need an adapter if using a device with DVI input.
    - Better built in sound.
    - A little bit thinner (1.0 inch verses 1.08 inches).

IMHO, the MBP can easily serve as a desktop replacement, where as the MB has too many compromises.

17. cfd954 macrumors newbie

The Macbook would definatly suffice for your needs, if you like the backlit keyboard though you could probably look at the Macbook Air as it would also run the applications that you are looking to.

18. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

MBA is not good for me becuase its too thin for me. I feel its too fragile. the backlit keyboard, I don't know about maybe because I don't use the computer with the light off and If i did the light from the screen is pretty sufficient. the extra two inches on the MBP is getting me though but i don't know if its worth about a grand more.

19. crazyskillz07 macrumors member

How about a refurbished macbook. With the money you save you can buy a nice external display, mouse, and keyboard for when your at home doing work. And maybe even some speakers for your room!

20. weizilla macrumors regular

I would say if you're going to be bring the computer with you everywhere, get a MB because it's more portable and has longer battery life.. If it's going to be sitting on your desk a lot of the time or you only carry it around with you to a few places, get a MBP.

21. hellzprince1 thread starter macrumors member

It is going to not be moved around much and I have a 46 inch HDTV but I won't be hooking the MBP up to an external monitor. should I trust the refurbished stuff and do they do a refurbished discount with the student discount together

22. cfd954 macrumors newbie

MBA is definatly not for everyone just thought I would throw out the idea incase you were looking to stay at 13in but wanted some very very minor MBP features(LED Screen and Backlit Keyboard), good luck with your decision and let us know.

23. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

there's no further discount with refurbs. just get one and be happy.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

A refurbished one should be no problem.

I don't believe you can combine discounts (refurb and educational).

25. modesty macrumors member

lol yea go and spend 900$ on a 1 gig upgrade of ram that costs 35$ on newegg.

get the macbook pro, its larger, so it will be better for lugging around, and the nice video card will definitely be great for your gaming and video editting needs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.