MBP Redesign

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by landis, Mar 7, 2008.

1. landis macrumors regular

I hate how everyone talks about waiting for a new update, even though one was released a week age, and then adds on " I also want a case redesign".

why do you want a redesign? this design is amazing. i know some people prefer the macbook magnetic latch, while i personally still prefer the mbp one because it actually keeps the computer closed.

I have not actually heard one person come up with a good design idea. they cant make it thinner or they will have to start taking out standard sized parts. they could change the keyboard, even though i love it, but that is not a redesign. what apple has done is make the smallest, sleekest possible enclosure to cover the components. what else could you possibly want.

there is a reason the design has changed so little in the past years, because it works so well. This is no pc where they change the colours of the plastic panels or add more vents on the bottom, apple has already created an amazing enclosure.

what ideas (realistic) do you have that would change the case?

2. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

bigger trackpad

and a lightsaber:p

ill come up with more

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd have prefered eSATA or something, or maybe a 54 express card integration.

4. gothamm macrumors 6502a

that is such narrow-minded thinking. Just because you can not visualize a redesign, doesn't mean apple isn't working at the next innovation.

5. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Try This: MacSaber

6. MacGeekDC macrumors 6502

Who the can do mags with the metal enclose and a bigger trackpad the MB trackpad goes to the keyboard my MBPs is like an inch from keyboard and bottom they could make it bigger

7. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You don't even have to ask this question, because Apple will manage to answer it for you in time.

8. ibizarocks macrumors regular

To the OP

You sound like an old age grumpy man who fears change and anything new! I reckon you're just saying that because when the new one comes out it'll be blatantly obvious your mbp is an old one. Change is good!! Always will be and there's nothing you can ever do about that.

9. Joko macrumors 6502

Joko

I see a Macbook Pro almost every single day on tv in adverts and movies etc. Why? Because it's the best looking, trendiest machine out there.

10. ibizarocks macrumors regular

as the next one will be!

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I won't be getting a MBP until they redesign it to make it possible for anybody (within reason) themselves to upgrade the hard drive in addition to the RAM. The MacBooks are very well designed in this fashon, and I've personally changed the HD twice as new and larger disks has become available (at affordable prices).

I cannot buy a system that should last 3-5 years without the ability to make reasonable upgrades to the hard drive (and RAM), especially since the current offers of either 250GB@5400 or 300GB@4200 HD in the MBPs are laughable at best. I got a 320GB@5400 in my almost 2 year old MacBook, and wouldn't "downgrade" to a MBP even for a even swap at the moment...

I wouldn't mind two user accessible HD bays on the 17", either... ;)

12. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

I am awaiting a case redesign for the simple reason that I do not want to buy the same computer again. I have been running on the same PB since early 2004 (which runs great!). I know many of you have upgraded computers 2 or 3 times since then (I wish I was financially able to do that). Why I want a redesign is because when I do make my MBP purchase, it would make it seem like I was buying a new computer. Now, that isn't to say I have been disappointed with updates, because they have been quite impressive, I just want a new, fresh look. Someone had made a mock-up of what they thought the MBP should look like, using the design scheme of an iMac on a different thread, and I thought it looked great. So when you say case redesign, I love the way it looks now, but when I spend 2k for my next 4+ year laptop, I guess I want it to look different. I am no so hung-up on feature change, as many people are mentioning having this or that hardware because when I think redesign I simply think case- I would by a Penryn MBP (like the ones just released) if they look different.

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't agree.
    he's just one happy camper right now.. just like the rest of MBP owners who's not in this forum because they don't have any complaints with their current MBP.

i understand his sentiments as well, WHY can't the waiters be happy for those who purchased their MBP right now?
    just my 2 cents

14. gibbz macrumors 68030

You should be waiting awhile then. Apple is not going to make a redisgn where they advertise "easily swap out your drives." They likely make a nice profit margin on their hard drives, so I doubt they would make it an advertised feature to easily replace them. If they did that, no one would buy the BTO hard drives.

First the RAM is VERY easy to change in the MBP. Second, I don't know where this idea comes from of the hard drive swap being extremely difficult. I simply followed the nice guide at ifixit and it took me 15 minutes. I hardly define going from the plastic version laptop to the superior professional model as a downgrade.

By the way, have you all seen the latest PC laptop designs? They are horrendous. I think I could live with it if the MacBook Pro keeps a similar form factor for awhile.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

They did on the MacBooks, when they were redesigned from the iBooks, easiest HD I've ever changed, in any computer ever...so hopefully whenever the MacBook Pros are redesigned from their current PowerBook moulds this is one of the improvements...

As for RAM, I know that, but I just added it (mostly in parenthesis) to emphasise my point... ;)

16. gibbz macrumors 68030

I do agree that they should. I was just trying to say that I doubted it. It was much easier in the MacBook as opposed to my old G4 iBook. More people would likely be inclined to do it themselves if the option were easier. :)

17. Alpinism macrumors regular

So, you pay and arm and a leg to buy a 'Pro' computer just because it looks pretty ? brilliant.

18. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

I'd have to disagree, some PC manufacturers have really stepped up their game from the old days. The Pavilion, XPS, and m15x/m17x lines all look great, in my opinion.

The MBP/PB has had the same design for over 4 years now. I think it's time for a change. Maybe not a radical change, but definitely some form of change. Cars get their looks updated more often.

19. PowerBookRelic macrumors 6502

That logic would hold up if I wanted an MacBook in an aluminum case. My point is that I don't want a case redesign because that means we will have montevina (insert any other hardware change here), I am happy with the penryn system the way it is now. I just feel that if I am buying a new laptop, although it will perform 1000X better than mine now, when it is sitting on my desk, it will feel like having the same laptop for 8 years (if i keep a new one for 4 years, too) because it looks the same.

20. landis thread starter macrumors regular

You are completely right!

I love the design, and am wondering why so many people are saying they need to wait for a case redesign before they buy one.

there is very little difference between the powerbook and the macbook pro visually, but they are completely different computers.

all i am saying is why people need a redesign when the one now is so amazing.

not talking about changing the ports or the internals, do you want it to look tike a dell xps or alienware, or would you prefer to keep it sleek as it is now.

21. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

i want a case design because part of the reason i'm buying an apple product is to stand out from the crowd. I don't want a design that people have been seeing around in college campuses for 5 years. How is one supposed to tell the difference between a G4 powerbook and a nehalem macbook pro?

22. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

The XPS's and Alienware's look sleek on their own.

Just because Apple is going to change the design, doesn't mean it'll suddenly become ugly.

It's been 5 years now. IMO, a redesign is seriously needed. Look at the aluminum iMacs. They went through facelift, and aren't "ugly" by any means.

23. packeteer macrumors member

all I want is less weight!

bring it close to 2kg (4.4 pounds) for the 15" and I'd be happy

24. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

go work out:D
    or get an air

25. powderblue17 macrumors regular

I don't think people want a complete redesign but rather just minor cosmetic changes to bring it inline with the macbook and macbook air. Like the magnetic latch, a replaceable hard drive, and a larger trackpad for multi-touch. I also think they should also get rid of those plastic strips around the frame so it would basically be a combination of the macbook and macbook air but with all the features of the pro. At least that's what I would like to see. Maybe Apple will shock us though with a complete redesign but I would be happy with those features.