Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
There's basically a few things I need to see in a redesign to make me go back to a MBP:

1) 1680x1050 resolution OPTION for the 15" (I emphasize OPTION because I know some people with bad eyesight would get pissy if this was standard, but the rest of us appreciate more screen real estate than 1440)

2) Slimmer dimensions and less weight, both of which I feel are fully possible given the advances made on the Macbook Air front.

3) No more damn latch! I absolutely hated using the latch on my MBP, and that area would always get little scratches from trying to get the latch with my fingernail.

I don't think any of those are crazy out-there expectations, anyone disagree?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
There's basically a few things I need to see in a redesign to make me go back to a MBP:

1) 1680x1050 resolution OPTION for the 15" (I emphasize OPTION because I know some people with bad eyesight would get pissy if this was standard, but the rest of us appreciate more screen real estate than 1440)

If they had that I'd have gotten the 15-inch, even if I had to pay the same.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Grey Plastic Trim: As I said above, they don't know how to fit it correctly or manufacturer it within tolerance so get rid of it altogether.

Speaking of which. Does anyone have this problem?
It bulges out where the aluminum is really thin.

64b0d267.png

Click for full size

PowerBookRelic

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2008

I have a bulge there, but it is going the other way (so, indentation?)! Also, above where my power cord goes in (note PB, so no mag) it bulges out and above my Mini-DV.

benlangdon

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
i have one issue actually its that my screen lid is closed in the middle but slightly up and the ends.
this has happened on all my laptops

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Apple is increasingly going to an all-aluminum, highly-recyclable product line, which is why I think the aluminum will stay. The consensus seems to be that nobody can come with a good overhaul of the design, but Apple can always surprise you. I think, however, that this current design has stayed modern in its lifetime, as opposed to the translucent colored plastics at the turn of the millennium.

As for the plastic frame, there's a reason it's there. How else can the metal be attached? Plus, there needs to be materials that don't block signals for the Airport and Bluetooth.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Plus, there needs to be materials that don't block signals for the Airport and Bluetooth.

I agree with attaching the aluminum part, but this doesn't make sense. If the metal affected the signal there is still the big screen that doesn't.

Also I'd think the plastic is a more economical way than trying to smooth out the edges of the aluminum so people don't cut themselves.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Also I'd think the plastic is a more economical way than trying to smooth out the edges of the aluminum so people don't cut themselves.

ORLY? The MacBook's edges are quite sharp, actually, and the MacBook is made of plastic. The MBA's edges aren't too horribly sharp, and it doesn't have the plastic rim.

blurb23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2007
Er yea in a photo they do, in real life they look cheap. The MBP looks what I paid for it IMO :)

To each his own, I suppose.

I've had a couple HP Pavilion dv6266's in my house, and I must say, I really liked their design.

Same with the XPS's. A friend of mine has one, and the design really seemed awesome to me.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA

*snip picture of Al bulge*

Yeah, I have this issue too.

But, getting back to the topic at hand, I too think I'd like to see a change in the MBP line design. The transition from the Titanium PBs to the Aluminum PBs was great, but the hardware in some cases stayed the same. As you may recall, the last TiBook had a 1GHz G4, and the first AlBook had one as well.

We don't need a hardware change in order to justify a purchase, just something refreshing would be nice. As a student with university on the horizon, I want something that will remain an icon of design and power through all 4 years. People who bought PowerBooks their freshman year who will graduate this year enjoyed this, as the MBPs look almost identical. I want something that will make me stand out in a crowd. One of the reasons I switched to Apple hardware and software in the first place. I am a great admirer of design and innovation, and I think with enough imaginative thought and engineering time we could have a MBP line that will dazzle customers for another 8 years.

Don't get me wrong, Apple hit the ball out of the park with the current design. But that ball flew out in 2003, and we're still waiting for the next batter to step up to the plate.

mxelre

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Quebec
What do you guys think of a all around carbon fiber case? I think it would look pretty sexy! And if they can manage to make it white that would be even better! On top of that, you get a pretty decent weight reduction, laptop does not become too hot when working at full speeds. Finally you can add whatever features you want I dont really care, I like the present setup!

gcortega

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2007
i hope they update the case design this summer, but i highly doubt its going to happen so soon...

Montevina is not going to be a totally new chip that needs a whole case re-design...

I think that 2009 is when were going to see some aesthetic change

abc861

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
UPDATE plsss!!!!

I am awaiting a case redesign for the simple reason that I do not want to buy the same computer again. I have been running on the same PB since early 2004 (which runs great!). I know many of you have upgraded computers 2 or 3 times since then (I wish I was financially able to do that). Why I want a redesign is because when I do make my MBP purchase, it would make it seem like I was buying a new computer. Now, that isn't to say I have been disappointed with updates, because they have been quite impressive, I just want a new, fresh look. Someone had made a mock-up of what they thought the MBP should look like, using the design scheme of an iMac on a different thread, and I thought it looked great. So when you say case redesign, I love the way it looks now, but when I spend 2k for my next 4+ year laptop, I guess I want it to look different. I am no so hung-up on feature change, as many people are mentioning having this or that hardware because when I think redesign I simply think case- I would by a Penryn MBP (like the ones just released) if they look different.

well said...i dun understand why apple is not updating their designs like other brands do...and mbp is generally more expensive than most similar specs notebooks (dell, hp, etc) while at a similar price level as some Japanese ones (sony, fujitsu,etc)...their designs are always impressive but they STILL update them from time to time at least more frequently than apple does! if i were not so keen on using mac OS, i would not have waited for nearly two years for a mbp with my upside down screen dell nb (using a 22" samsung external display) because i thought they would have redesigned the SR mbp already last year! just cancelled the mba order as there are so many uncertainties about its performance, and as my friend said, "it is in lack of the purpose of being all-in-one (for us) becuase of its lack of functions." If apple can't be bothered to redesign the mbp, i will be really disappointed and will just buy sth else this summer. the sense of buying a NEW product is very important to me and some potential customers in my opinion.

landis

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 9, 2007
Toronto/Kingston Canada
one of the reasons that i love apple is that they keep their product lines, with the recent switch from power book to mbp and ibook to macbook and power mac to mac pro. this name change can be justified because they were completely different computers with different internals.

what i am trying to say, is that unlike most pc companies who create a new product every time there is a little speed increase, apple stays with the same products, while sometimes adding new ones.

back in g4/g5 days, we never new when an update was coming, so they were few and far in between. they would add a new chip in the same enclosure. what ended up happening was that all similar looking computers would perform similarly. this is true for notebooks, imacs, and desktops.

the one time this does not happen is in the intel switch. and if they have not changed the case for such a huge performance gain, they are obviously struggling to come up with new design ideas.

ps. sorry if this is jumbled because i was trying to get my thoughts in order while writing.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
[Long random(?) quote]

Sorry to revive this thread, but instead of starting a new one, I thought that I would add to this and say that the MBP NEEDS a flash card reader (SD, MS Duo, Compact Flash, etc.), almost every laptop on the market has at least one card reader. It would be really nice to not have to bring a card reader or USB cable with you when you travel, in fact it would be nice to use it any time.

Once again, sorry to revive this thread!

Don

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
I thought that I would add to this and say that the MBP NEEDS a flash card reader (SD, MS Duo, Compact Flash, etc.), almost every laptop on the market has at least one card reader.

Almost every laptop on the market runs windows out of the box too, and you don't see them flocking to that any time soon. :D

A media reader would be bulky and out of place on the sleek MacBook Pro. And besides, with most pro users utilizing CF cards, having a giant 2" gaping hold in the side of the computer would be plain ugly.

I'll be getting my PowerBook a PCMCIA CF reader soon. Hurray for last generation expansion! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.