Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
From these pictures, I'm thinking it's more likely your liquids seeped into the bezel or you where pressing so hard you caused the glue to separate.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
I am not saying that these might not be scratches, but any deposits on the glass will produce the same effect, usually from fingerprints, and spread by rubbing. The deposits produce mirror like spots or streaks on top of the coating, that resemble flaking or scratching.

I've had similar effects on the border of my late 2012 27" iMac with the anti-reflective coating. Wiping with a micro-fiber cloth only spread it and made it worse. The solution I found was to put a small dab of dish detergent on a finger tip, and gently spread it over the affected area. Then lightly wet the area with moist paper towel, and let it sit for a few minutes. After that, wipe it off with a clean micro-fiber cloth. An additional wipe may be needed after it dries.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
What the fack. I've cleaned my 2011 MBP many times with slightly damp cloth. Haven't touched the MBPr yet, but this is very strange.

sambwker

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2014
I've got the same problem - looks as if the anti glare coating is coming off. For some reason only around the bezel. I'm out of warranty now, Johnny what happened with your screen did you have it replaced?

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
i've just got the same problem. cleaned a little smudge and the coating came off.
so did all people have success with replacement?

stfwayne

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
WTF for real.

This is absolutely absurd

I keep on going back and forth from getting a new MBA and a Retina Pro.

It is threads like these that make me change my mind completely. I clean my Air 2-3x a day with iKlear hate little smudges and dirt and i am sure this would happen to me.

Apple has some horrendous quality control issues with the Retina Pro, too bad because I really wanted to buy one

zeleny

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2010
Same problem here

TLDR: MBPr screen coating is vulnerable to damage through normal use. Wipe regularly. Use protector. Or don't buy.

I have a similar problem with my 2012 retina macbook pro 15'', which is rapidly getting worse. The coating is coming off in the middle of the screen. Initially it looked like a stubborn greasy print from the spacebar. I have been wiping keyboard prints off the screen with a microfiber cloth from time to time, occasionally with the help of Hama lcd/tft/plasma cleaning liquid. I know that Apple recommends only water, but this is disingenuous, as there is no way you can get fingerprint oil from the screen with water alone, and the first thing they did at the Genius bar was wiping the screen with the similar stuff. The solution I have is free from alcohols and I've been using it for years, including on my previous macbook-pro which had an antiglare screen (i.e. no glass).

Anyway, it turned out that the worst affected area corresponds to the region between the space bar and the trackpad. But there are other spots, which are definitely from keyboard key edges. There are also several tiny holes, which I believe are described as "exploding pixels" on a couple of Apple support forum threads. It is possible that the disappearing coating started from these spots, which in turn could have been initiated by dirt particles.

I took the macbook to Apple store. I expected it to be repaired under warranty. However the guy at the genius bar told me that the problem was caused by my negligent use, and is not a manufacturing issue. I agree that it is not a manufacturing issue, but I don't think there was anything negligent about the way I use the machine. As possible reasons the genius suggested excessive pressure or rough particles trapped between the screen and the body. I am carrying my macbook pretty much every day in a soft neoprene case in my backpack, so it is exposed to some amount of pressure, but there is nothing abnormal about it, certainly less than what an aluminium body laptop should be able to withstand. As to the dirt particles, I am sure there were some as I use my MBPr pretty much non-stop in different office and home environments. But if there was a dirt particle are not big enough to be obvious I would get rid of it, and there wouldn't be anything harder than a bread crumb. There was absolutely no sand even close to the machine, ever.

I left the apple store disappointed and confused. After thinking about it for a while and reading several forum threads, I am convinced that the problem is either with the quality of the coating or the design of the MBPr. I will pay another visit to the apple store and try to explain this, but I am not sure it will help. I am afraid that I'll have to either replace the screen at my own cost (~700) or get buy a new MBPr. I'll still go for the Retina (once you get used to it there is no way back).

In any case I am a bit upset with Apple. If extra care is required for the screen to survive daily use (protector, a hard carry case, regular dusting), they should make it very clear. If this is a known problem - and I had an impression from my conversation with the Apple genius that it was - this should be covered by warranty.

Although in the future I will be much more careful, I am sure that I did nothing wrong. It's nice to see that I am not alone, and I hope that there will be enough of us for Apple to admit the problem and/or do something about it.

Attachments

• ScreenDamage+sm.jpg
    ScreenDamage+sm.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 11,202

jorisx

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
europ
top part coating of rMBP screen wearing of

same here with a 6 month old rMPB 15" !!! ..., on the top where the camera is and where most of the time my fingers are when I open the mbp ... I just tried to clean it and tried rubbing the spots of with slightly damp tissue and after trying rubbing it of it only got worse! its like you can just rub the coating right of the screen there!!
90% of the time the macbook is open, i leave it open 24hrs and I only close it when i go to a meeting or travel. it would be the only part of the screen that will get touched daily when used, but I can't have touched that part as much in half a year to irritate the coating already ?!

Attachments

• photo-screen-rMpb.jpg
    photo-screen-rMpb.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 1,261

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I just swipe with lint cloth regularly and didn't notice anything until recently I noticed there was some odd coating on main screen. See the photo below...

Photo Jul 17, 2 41 39 PM.jpg

And I still have an AppleCare, should I take it to Apple store for replacement? :apple:

hamiltonDSi

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Romania
I lost my microfiber cloth that came with my rMBP and bought a new one ; guess what ?! The new one is yellow (not black like the original) and after wiping my screen with it (only water) it had black marks all over it.. You guess it. The coat is coming off.
This is bad. Really bad.

OSX15

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
Cyberspace
I had a similar issue going on with my now 2 week old MBPr 15 inch late 2013.. I get a replacement soon but this ain't the only issue

jimmyco2008

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2014
TLDR: MBPr screen coating is vulnerable to damage through normal use. Wipe regularly. Use protector. Or don't buy.

I have a similar problem with my 2012 retina macbook pro 15'', which is rapidly getting worse. The coating is coming off in the middle of the screen. Initially it looked like a stubborn greasy print from the spacebar. I have been wiping keyboard prints off the screen with a microfiber cloth from time to time, occasionally with the help of Hama lcd/tft/plasma cleaning liquid. I know that Apple recommends only water, but this is disingenuous, as there is no way you can get fingerprint oil from the screen with water alone, and the first thing they did at the Genius bar was wiping the screen with the similar stuff. The solution I have is free from alcohols and I've been using it for years, including on my previous macbook-pro which had an antiglare screen (i.e. no glass).

Anyway, it turned out that the worst affected area corresponds to the region between the space bar and the trackpad. But there are other spots, which are definitely from keyboard key edges. There are also several tiny holes, which I believe are described as "exploding pixels" on a couple of Apple support forum threads. It is possible that the disappearing coating started from these spots, which in turn could have been initiated by dirt particles.

I took the macbook to Apple store. I expected it to be repaired under warranty. However the guy at the genius bar told me that the problem was caused by my negligent use, and is not a manufacturing issue. I agree that it is not a manufacturing issue, but I don't think there was anything negligent about the way I use the machine. As possible reasons the genius suggested excessive pressure or rough particles trapped between the screen and the body. I am carrying my macbook pretty much every day in a soft neoprene case in my backpack, so it is exposed to some amount of pressure, but there is nothing abnormal about it, certainly less than what an aluminium body laptop should be able to withstand. As to the dirt particles, I am sure there were some as I use my MBPr pretty much non-stop in different office and home environments. But if there was a dirt particle are not big enough to be obvious I would get rid of it, and there wouldn't be anything harder than a bread crumb. There was absolutely no sand even close to the machine, ever.

I left the apple store disappointed and confused. After thinking about it for a while and reading several forum threads, I am convinced that the problem is either with the quality of the coating or the design of the MBPr. I will pay another visit to the apple store and try to explain this, but I am not sure it will help. I am afraid that I'll have to either replace the screen at my own cost (~700) or get buy a new MBPr. I'll still go for the Retina (once you get used to it there is no way back).

In any case I am a bit upset with Apple. If extra care is required for the screen to survive daily use (protector, a hard carry case, regular dusting), they should make it very clear. If this is a known problem - and I had an impression from my conversation with the Apple genius that it was - this should be covered by warranty.

Although in the future I will be much more careful, I am sure that I did nothing wrong. It's nice to see that I am not alone, and I hope that there will be enough of us for Apple to admit the problem and/or do something about it.

What about that rubber ring around the display? That should be keeping the display from making contact with the keys, palm rest, etc., shouldn't it?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just swipe with lint cloth regularly and didn't notice anything until recently I noticed there was some odd coating on main screen. See the photo below...

View attachment 481089

And I still have an AppleCare, should I take it to Apple store for replacement? :apple:

Yes, of course, this is not normal and you want to use the warranty for which it was designed for (and you paid for).

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
What about that rubber ring around the display? That should be keeping the display from making contact with the keys, palm rest, etc., shouldn't it?

That would be the case if the lid and screen did not flex when pressure is applied, unfortunately they do.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Dear God this is traumatising to see, especially on a £1,000-£2,500 machine.

Has anyone had any luck getting their screen replaced out of warranty?

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Yes, of course, this is not normal and you want to use the warranty for which it was designed for (and you paid for).

Yeah and I heard some horror stories about after repair they got some serious problems. I don't want a new rMBP because they don't have a dGPU on some 2013 models. :apple:

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I took my baby to Apple store two weeks ago for display replacement. It took 3 days to replace it and went to pick it up but noticed there was tiny ding on the top left corner on the keyboard Apple noticed it too and asked me to take it back for keyboard replacement at no cost but it takes another 4 days. I am okay with it... I got my baby back last night. Display looks perfect and new keyboard with new battery. Battery health is at 97% and Cycles at 1. Is battery health normal for new battery?? :apple:

Bikaru

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2014
Me too :( From Mexico, in warranty but not AppleCare

Samething happened to my BRAND NEW Macbook Retina 13". It started with a yellowish mirrored spot, tried to clean it but it got worst, bigger! Now I have more sports just in the black border. I asked the guys in the Apple Store and they think that "if the machine still works, you won´t get warranty just for that" !!!!

I will try with Apple directly expecting my warrantyu covers that.

Any other "compañero" in Mexico with the same problem ??

Any advise ?

Thanks

Marcohildebrand

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Same problem 2013 Macbook pro retina

Update: have received my rMBP back from Apple with a new screen with no marks on the screen, the technician still didn't think it was an Apple issue, he told me not to rub the screen so hard when cleaning it!!

Interestingly I watched a Genius staff member cleaning a rMBP screen with a Bausch and Lomb lens cleaning solution........

I have the same problem with my MBP retina 15", mainly top left corner where I place my thumb to lift up the screen and around the camera area.

I went to the genius bar, they said it was the coating coming off but blamed me for the issue even though I have only cleaned it as recommended. After some discussion they agreed to replace it under my Apple care warranty. I'll have to take it back during semester break, hopefully I won't have the same problem with the new screen.

My previous MBP is 5 years old and my wife is still using it, never had a problem with it. I'm a bit concerned now about the quality of the coating on my MBP retina, I clean my iPhone and iPad air with the same damp cloth with no issues

Last edited:

Cancelled
Nov 10, 2013
For those of you who like to know little bit more (it's from the apple web site):
...we also figured out how to reduce reflection off the front of the glass without compromising color quality. Instead of applying an antireflective coating to the glass in a conventional way, we adapted a process used on smaller surfaces like camera lenses and fighter pilots’ helmets. It’s called plasma deposition, and it involves coating the glass with layers of silicon dioxide and niobium pentoxide so precise and so thin they’re measured in atoms. The result: astoundingly low reflection — and vibrant, accurate colors.

Assuming from this article that best tool for cleaning rMBP display should be any good camera cleaning kit (you know lenspen, dust removal air blower).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.