Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someoneoutthere

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
Someplaceoutthere
EDIT: Other thread I was referring to is here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1794687/. Dude even has a mid-2014 model that this is happening on after only 2 months of ownership.

That's me... I haven't been able to take my laptop to an Apple Store yet, I'm out of the country as well. The damage is to the left of the camera, although it is almost negligible compared to what others have been posting on this forum. I can certainly live with it, but I am quite disappointed for sure.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Same problem here, the first message from the repair is that it costs 900 $ and Apple does not cover although there is still warranty. :mad:

weird, my warranty ran out 10 months ago and i still got my display replaced for free for the same issue. also the invoice says it would have cost "only" 307€ to fix it. nowhere near 900

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
Same problem here, the first message from the repair is that it costs 900 $ and Apple does not cover although there is still warranty. :mad:

Have you tried calling apple's hotline?

It may be time to return my applecare warranty extension since I just bought it and have yet to activate it on my machine. And one of the biggest reasons why I bought it was due to this thread. Even though the risk might be minute, the outcome and repair costs appear to be devastating.

But if they classify it as an aesthetic problem/user mishandling, there must be something wrong!

---

Personally: I've used my rMBP for 11 months, have never babied it and the aluminium on the right hand rest is pitted with many micro pits (due to the perspiration from my palms), have been fortunate not to suffer from this problem, but I would doubt that it's metallic deposits or transfers/thinning of any ionic compounds induced from the handrest's corrosion.

------

I'm quite curious if the origin of the LCD panel (since glass and matrix are fused) has any relation with this. Although the fusing process is downstream from LCD matrix manufacturing, Apple may just have more than one factory doing fusing for the two LCD matrix brands (LG/Samsung) separately.

Anyone else in this thread suffering from this problem could care to comment what brand your panel is?

----------

weird, my warranty ran out 10 months ago and i still got my display replaced for free for the same issue. also the invoice says it would have cost "only" 307€ to fix it. nowhere near 900

Anything to do with EU laws?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Have you tried calling apple's hotline?

It may be time to return my applecare warranty extension since I just bought it and have yet to activate it on my machine. And one of the biggest reasons why I bought it was due to this thread. Even though the risk might be minute, the outcome and repair costs appear to be devastating.

But if they classify it as an aesthetic problem/user mishandling, there must be something wrong!

---

Personally: I've used my rMBP for 11 months, have never babied it and the aluminium on the right hand rest is pitted with many micro pits (due to the perspiration from my palms), have been fortunate not to suffer from this problem, but I would doubt that it's metallic deposits or transfers/thinning of any ionic compounds induced from the handrest's corrosion.

------

I'm quite curious if the origin of the LCD panel (since glass and matrix are fused) has any relation with this. Although the fusing process is downstream from LCD matrix manufacturing, Apple may just have more than one factory doing fusing for the two LCD matrix brands (LG/Samsung) separately.

Anyone else in this thread suffering from this problem could care to comment what brand your panel is?

----------

Anything to do with EU laws?

the lady on the hotline was totally useless so i took matter into my own habds and made an apple store appointment.

the genius talked to the manager and said "usually i would have to proof that the issue excisted from the beginning after 6 months since purchase but obviously i cant do that on this issue so they will make an exception" it also helped that i bought it at apple, otherwise i would have been screwed

ZigZagLens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
I'm hoping Apple fixed this by the time the Late 2013s rolled out... But it may be too early to tell. I dunno. Anyone out there have this problem on a Late 2013?

Yes, I do.

Mine is a Late 2013 (bought Jan 2014) and I have taken very good care of it. Mostly just use the microfiber cloth, but I occasionally spray a little lens cleaner on the cloth if it really needs it.

I have this 'streaking' or whatever you would call it all along the top bezel band, and a bit of it along the sides.

I've got AppleCare on it, and plan to bring it in ASAP to see what they'll do about it. I sure as hell have not abused this machine in any way; quite the contrary.

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
Yes, I do.

Mine is a Late 2013 (bought Jan 2014) and I have taken very good care of it. Mostly just use the microfiber cloth, but I occasionally spray a little lens cleaner on the cloth if it really needs it.

I have this 'streaking' or whatever you would call it all along the top bezel band, and a bit of it along the sides.

I've got AppleCare on it, and plan to bring it in ASAP to see what they'll do about it. I sure as hell have not abused this machine in any way; quite the contrary.

Did you actually use lens cleaner? That stuff can be pretty harsh.

Only LCD cleaner or water should ever be used. I wouldn't even use 99% alcohol.

ZigZagLens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Did you actually use lens cleaner? That stuff can be pretty harsh.

Only LCD cleaner or water should ever be used. I wouldn't even use 99% alcohol.

What I had been using is a lens / optical cleaner that is alcohol-free and clearly marked all over it that it is safe for delicate surfaces, LCDs, etc. And I use it very, very rarely -- I'd guess less than once a month, if that. But obviously whatever I did was the wrong thing. :eek:

x3n0n1c

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2014
What I had been using is a lens / optical cleaner that is alcohol-free and clearly marked all over it that it is safe for delicate surfaces, LCDs, etc. And I use it very, very rarely -- I'd guess less than once a month, if that. But obviously whatever I did was the wrong thing. :eek:

I doubt you did anything wrong. Based on these and other forums there does seem to be some kind of quality control issue that causes this.

Some have suggested that a small portion of the screens have their outer glass installed backwards, exposing the coating.

Who knows.

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009

----------

Mines is a Samsung. I never had this problem with the prior LG (it was replaced due to image retention)

cavutech

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2014
This looks like moisture getting behind the layers. That will explain why it gets bigger as you wipe over it. I just left a local Bestbuy and the Macbooks that they have on display is beginning to exhibit the same problem. I notice it close to the rubber seal around the display. That is where my problem first started.

Attachments

• DSC04608.JPG
    DSC04608.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 462
  • DSC04609.JPG
    DSC04609.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 380

Banny1982

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2014
This seems to be a common issue with 2013 MBP Retinas... I wonder when Apple will address this... Its unacceptable with a 1000$++ laptop wich is advetised for its sturdyness! It's also crazy to have to take care of a laptop LCD like it was an easter egg. I stull have a valid warranty so i'm waiting to see what apple tech says on monday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 413

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Same issue over here. Today I cleaned my display (micro fibre cloth and a little bit of water) and it started to get bigger and bigger.

First of all I thought, it's a fingerprint or some dirt spots/marks from the keyboard (that happens quite often). But after cleaning the spot doesn't go away.

Now I have a scratched coating area directly at the middle of my display :(

I will have an genius appointment next week. Hope they will change my display (maybe directly?).

I don't have any Apple Care (and my MBPr is just over one year old) :confused:

You should be OK as you are in the EU ;)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i am picking up mine from repair at the apple store tomorrow. will ask them again if this a known issue cuz it seems to be widespread and might refer to this topic

Last edited:

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Magent & Acids

This could be the oils from the wrists and you may be a very acidic person, when you rest them on the edge of the notebook for long periods is haviing a chemical reaction over time when the lid is closed. The magnet could also be the issue...

Daniel L

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2009
I don't think it's moisture unless the screen is porous and the dampened cloth I'm using is causing the water to seep through. It started in the middle left for me and just recently showed up around the webcam. I did notice that it only occurs when wiping with plain water. I haven't noticed it getting worse when wiping dry.

jrn-

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Update

Update on:

I've got the same problem, just got off the phone with Apple support; I can bring it in for repair (bought it in december '13)

Got it back (1 week turnaround). They replaced the display under warranty; let's see how long it holds :)

iliasp

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2013
Greece
I am having the same issue on mine, 2,5 year old rMBP with an already replaced LCD (LG ghosting, got a Sammy 1,5 years ago) which i can't state how carefully i have cleaned (maybe twice in total) without any water
Apart from the points that the coating is getting off it is flawless and there is not a single scratch!

Being in Greece and without any official support (Apple Store) i will just cross my fingers and pay a visit the official retailer shop which also handles the service and i have changed my faulty LCD in the past!

jrn-

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
I have the same problem. I went to official Apple Store in Turkey. they didn't replace my 13' Macbook Pro Retina Late 2013 screen. i bought my laptop 7 months ago. I have warranty for 2 years. Apple service told me that warranty doesn't include that problem because it is an esthetic problem so that i have to make payment to replace screen. Where did you replaced your screen , in which country and which apple shop? i will tell them . probably i will talk with a lawyer and proceed Apple Turkey.

Hmm, you should definitely be able to get the screen replaced; I've first called with Apple (Belgium), they told me to go to one of their authorized service providers (since they don't have official Apple Stores here...) or go to one of the Apple Stores in The Netherlands.
One of the Switch ( http://switch.be ) stores here in Belgium took it in for repair without any problem and they replaced the screen.
Your best bet is: call Apple, tell them the problem, maybe point to this topic and the pictures if they don't know what you're describing, let them tell you what your way to go is.

jrn-

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2014
Sure, but did you call Apple themselves yet? Don't let you lead by the say of one of the store employees about that it would be an 'aesthetic' problem. Phone support is most of the time more aware of 'known' issues with a certain model and can definitely help you before you're going to court :D

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
I just received a refurb late 2013 15" rMBP (2.6, 1TB, 16gb, 750m) today and im probably not even gonna take it out of the box because I am so horrified by the photos and experiences in this thread. WOW.

This is either a catastrophic quality control situation or, the logical side of me tells me that perhaps you guys are wiping the screens too often/excessively and with cleaners not approved by apple.

but wow, im too scared to use a laptop now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.