mbp usb ports

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
i think they should put more because if im already paying 1200 for an mbp i dont want to have to spend the extra $$ on a hub

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
You knew going into it that the MBP comes with two USB ports. Since you already bought the unit, complaining about it after the fact doesn't hold water. If two USB ports were really an issue for you, you wouldn't have bought it. You got exactly what you paid for.

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Sure a third usb port would be nice, but for what I hardly ever need more than two and when I do, I just plug in a usb hub, if you are on the road and need more than two usb ports you should reevaluate, what you are using the ports for. You knew exactly what you were getting when you bought it, if this really were this much of an issues, you would not have bought it, so quit complaining, about something that you already knew was going be an issue for you when you bought it, which means you shouldn't have bought it, you could have just gotten a really crappy Dell if USB ports are the most important to you.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You knew going into it that the MBP comes with two USB ports. Since you already bought the unit, complaining about it after the fact doesn't hold water. If two USB ports were really an issue for you, you wouldn't have bought it. You got exactly what you paid for.
I don't know if you are responding to OP but the funny thing about it is, he doesn't have an apple notebook yet :)

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Sure a third usb port would be nice, but for what I hardly ever need more than two and when I do, I just plug in a usb hub, if you are on the road and need more than two usb ports you should reevaluate, what you are using the ports for. You knew exactly what you were getting when you bought it, if this really were this much of an issues, you would not have bought it, so quit complaining, about something that you already knew was going be an issue for you when you bought it, which means you shouldn't have bought it, you could have just gotten a really crappy Dell if USB ports are the most important to you.
the last computer i had was a dell and it broke after 2 weeks. it had only four usb. i would rather have to buy a hub than use that pos again.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to have more USB ports, but the way the laptop is designed, it doesn't look like there's room. I mean...the 13" one doesn't even have room for a separate audio in and out lol..

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
the last computer i had was a dell and it broke after 2 weeks. it had only four usb. i would rather have to buy a hub than use that pos again.
Exactly my point, you bought the MBP because it was a quality product, I am certainly willing to drop a few ports for superior build quality.

tflournoy95

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
Exactly my point, you bought the MBP because it was a quality product, I am certainly willing to drop a few ports for superior build quality.
lol. i DIDNT buy and mbp. im going to. im just voicing my opinion that there should be more usb ports

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
i think they should put more because if im already paying 1200 for an mbp i dont want to have to spend the extra $$ on a hub
I would actually prefer more USB ports as well (especially instead of the SD reader), but after spending $1200 for a laptop I don't think $5 for a hub is that big of a deal. I just don't want to carry the hub around.

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Get the 17" model like I did, it has 3 USB ports :)
I think they should separate the placement of each USB port abit further as they're tight together. A simple USB flash Drive and a USB mouse will not fit in there next to each other.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I think they should separate the placement of each USB port abit further as they're tight together. A simple USB flash Drive and a USB mouse will not fit in there next to each other.
Really? Thats exactly what I have plugged in right now and they fit fine. Kingston Data Traveler USB flash drive and a Logitech VX Nano receiver.

chrisrottan

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Really? Thats exactly what I have plugged in right now and they fit fine. Kingston Data Traveler USB flash drive and a Logitech VX Nano receiver.
I have a kingston traveler and a logitech usb mouse. Both can't be plugged in at the sametime in a 13" mbp.

RKpro

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2008
I've never needed more than 2 while on the road.

And on my desk, I've glued a 7 port hub under my mStand. So when I arrive home, I just connect 1 short USB cable and magsafe, and my external keyboard mouse, external HDD and ipod are all connected, with 4 ports to spare.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
They should separate them.

I can't plug in my mobile broadband card and something else at the same time without having to use the extension cable. Then it's just weird.

I only need two, though :). The rest are covered by the USB on the back of the LED Cinema Display :D.