MDP to HDMI testing results thread

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dgpsx7, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Dgpsx7 macrumors member

There is a lot of speculation out there about which MDP to HDMI adapters work with audio considering the fact that the new 2010 Macbooks pros support audio on the mini display port.

DO NOT post on what SHOULD work based on the specs because that has not been relevant lately. Only post if you have tested one of the adapters and you are able to get both video and audio from them.

At first they said the monoprice mdp to hdmi adapter should work but now they say it does not.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

They say the Dr.Bott adapter that looks exactly like the monoprice in black works with both video and audio but I have not seen anyone in the forums confirm this with testing.
    http://www.drbott.net/product/9180-MDHK/

Please post any other adapters to have used to achieve this.

also has anyone tested this monoprice usb and mdp to hdmi on the pre april 2010 macbooks and have it work?
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

2. 1creator macrumors member

I've used the USB+mdp to hdmi on pre april mbps and it works great with no hassles. Just pick USB audio out and enjoy.

3. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

The point of this thread is to determine which adapters support audio over the mDP port on the new 2010 macbooks. This allows us to use just one cable and should allow for multichannel sound output, unlike the USB solution. This feature alone makes me glad that I waited for the refresh instead of purchasing a macbook back in February. I still have another week before I get my macbook though, stupid finances always getting in the way.

I do recall seeing confirmation that someone, I believe jhawk something, had audio and video working through the griffin adapter. I'll see if I can find the post about it.

EDIT: I just noticed that the OP also asked about the HDMI + USB. I'm not quite sure why, I thought that was confirmed along time ago. :confused:

4. hypermog macrumors regular

Also, has anyone tried these cables yet?

[​IMG]
    (clickable)

MonoPrice does not have a disclaimer saying it won't work with audio, like they do with the adapter linked by OP.

5. lcs101 macrumors regular

I have tried this and it does not work. When I emailed customer support, I was told, "I apologize for the inconvenience, but our cables are 1.1 VESA compliant and do not support audio. You need a 1.2 VESA compliant cable in order to pass audio. We currently do not carry any 1.2 VESA compliant cables. Thank you."

6. vant macrumors 65816

No. The adapters do not carry a lifetime warranty like the cables do (from Monoprice at least).

USB+mDP to HDMI Adapter = Limited Warranty
    mDP to HDMI Cable = Lifetime Warranty

My USB+mDP to HDMI adapter has failed twice already. Monoprice has also refreshed the design of the product and the adapter is now 'fatter' on my latest replacement. I'm worried what will happen out of warranty and I'd much prefer a cable.

7. Dgpsx7 thread starter macrumors member

sorry i just added that to the end so pre spring 2010 users would not be confused on how they could accomplish this if they needed to do the same thing.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hmm. Apple's support site says you need VESA 1.1. My monoprice adapter does not pass audio & they told me it's not 1.1. I ordered a Griffin adapter. Griffin say it will pass audio .

9. Dgpsx7 thread starter macrumors member

Please let us know if it works when you get it. I don't really trust what any of them say anymore.

10. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Here's the post I was talking about that confirms that the griffin adapter does indeed support audio:

11. lcs101 macrumors regular

Just ordered my Griffin adaptor for $29 (free shipping) from JR.com. Hopefully I will not have an issue routing it through my receiver.

12. gagaliya macrumors 6502

more opportunity for apple to rip us a new one with their $50 cables.

does anyone know when the official apple mdp/hdmi cable will come out...

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

No one is making you buy the cable and no one is making you buy a Mac, You have a choice. I don't see how they are "ripping you a new one" when you made the choice. It would seem as though you choose to rip yourself a new one.

14. 1creator macrumors member

Wow, I hope the same doesn't happen to mine!

15. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

Agreed. Plus there's the fact that Apple stated that they wouldn't be making an official HDMI adapter. Now, whether you believe that or not is up to you.

16. giorfa macrumors newbie

Macitynet.it tested a Lindy adapter and it works:

http://www.macitynet.it/macprof/art...scan-regolabile-sui-nuovi-MacBook-Pro/aA43218

Cnet tested a Griffin adapter and it works:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20002595-1.html?tag=mncol;txt

This guy here tested another one but I can't get the name of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gD4Lr4RaG8

So there's no problem finding an adapter that passes audio.

The thing is that I'd like a male to male cable that supports audio and there's no trace of it all over the internet. Cableshark.com let me know that their's i going to be available in two weeks. I hope some other company will do it sooner.

17. DrHaus macrumors newbie

18. Wickedsight macrumors newbie

19. DrHaus macrumors newbie

Hmm, that looks really close to the one I got that didn't work. Unfortunately I didn't see a manufacturer listed.

20. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Stay tuned. I should get it tomorrow -- but its coming US Mail so Fri. is a possibility too. I will post my results w/ the Griffin adapter in this thread.

21. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If it works ill definitely buying one. Also, whats the best MiniDP to VGA for these new macbooks? Just any generic one from Monoprice?

22. justn macrumors member

justn

23. Sensamic macrumors 68030

24. craiger902 macrumors member

The Griffin one works as confirmed by cnet.com. I plan on ordering one tonight but they are temporarily out of stock at jr.com.