Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I dropped a buck on it.

I figured since technically my odds of whining don't improve if I dropped lots of $$, I figured I'd win or lose on one dollar.

At the very least it keeps the dream alive :p

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I mean it was already huge, but all this press is pushing up last minute sales through the roof.

I bought $2/2 tickets as a total joke and the only reason I bought them is the IL state lotto introduced online purchases just the past week or so. I wouldn't have ever bothered to go into a store to buy any. It was the first time I ever spent money on the lotto, period. No instant or scratch off games or anything, ever. Did one random quick pick and one pick my own.

Best of luck to any MR purchasers. If you win, feel free to toss me a grand to upgrade my Late 2006 MacBook, kthanks.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I dropped a buck on it.

I figured since technically my odds of whining don't improve if I dropped lots of $$, I figured I'd win or lose on one dollar.

At the very least it keeps the dream alive :p

I think your odds of whining improve a lot if you drop tons of $$$ and then don't win. :D:p

iamjose

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2011
These are the numbers I'm playing... 4 8 15 16 23 42, if you know them, you'll know why.:cool:

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
I paid $10 in Stupid Tax a couple days ago, and then when no one won, I paid another $5 in Stupid Tax this morning. Plus I'm in a pool of Stupid Tax payers at work to the tune of another $5 each.

Call me stupid.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
As much as these things are a waste of money, I'll probably grab one tomorrow on the way to work. I mean, the expected value of a ticket has got to be close parity with such a high jackpot, right?:cool:

Of course with multiple winners possible, the more tickets that are bought the lower the expected value becomes......

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
I paid $10 in Stupid Tax a couple days ago, and then when no one won, I paid another $5 in Stupid Tax this morning. Plus I'm in a pool of Stupid Tax payers at work to the tune of another $5 each.

Call me stupid.

stupid

Everyone at my office is putting ten bucks each. So I have to pitch in too. I don't wanna imagine if they won and I hadn't participated.

exactly, hey google 'conagra' those guys did the same

Queen of Spades

macrumors 68030
May 9, 2008
The Iron Throne
I bought one, because why not? Buying more than that seems like a waste, though. I read a statistic on this particular drawing that says you're 33% more likely to be killed by bees within a year than you are to win this thing.

Fun to imagine what I'd do with it, though.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks

Call me stupid.

"It's a wise man who knows himself". :)

Still, tossing away a couple of bucks allows you to participate in the dream.

Much cheaper than going to a movie.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I'm in with $10, even though I realize I probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning, finding Bigfoot, dying in a plane crash and being abducted by aliens all in the same day.

Not in that order obviously. I'd have to recover very quickly from that lightning strike and be returned to earth by the aliens before I could die in the plane crash.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
I'm in with $10, even though I realize I probably have a better chance of being struck by lightning, finding Bigfoot, dying in a plane crash and being abducted by aliens all in the same day.

Not in that order obviously. I'd have to recover very quickly from that lightning strike and be returned to earth by the aliens before I could die in the plane crash.

Add resurrection to the end of that story-line and you are still light on the odds. :rolleyes:

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
My mom gave me 30 bucks to spend on the Mega Millions. I'm buying on behalf of my family. If we do have the winning numbers, everyone on this message board gets a Macbook Air!*

*The entry level $999 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.