Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
If you count the wining numbers spread over 40 tickets, ya. Otherwise the IRS won't be visiting me for money.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
CNN just said there were 2 winning tickets sold. 1 in NYC and 1 in California.
Nope, http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ry-ticket-sold-maryland-16043823#.T3aUJ-xYuG4
An official with the Maryland lottery says a record $640 million winning lottery ticket has been sold in Maryland, and there could be others nationwide.

Carole Everett, director of communications for the Maryland Lottery, says the winning Mega Millions ticket was purchased at a retailer in Baltimore County. She said it's too early to know any other information about the lucky ticket-holder or whether others were sold elsewhere in the nation.

Everett says the last time a ticket from the state won a major national jackpot was 2008 when a ticket sold for $24 million.

She says, "We're thrilled. We're due and exciting."

The estimated jackpot dwarfs the previous $390 million record, which was split in 2007 by two winners who bought tickets in Georgia and New Jersey.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/03/mega-millions-winner.html
No tickets purchased in California in the Mega Millions lottery had all six numbers to win the $640-million jackpot Friday, California Lottery spokesman Russ Lopez said after reviewing preliminary sales data.

But 29 tickets sold in the state had five of the six numbers and were likely to pay in the high six figures, Lopez said, recalling that Tuesday's smaller purse gave each of the five-of-six winners $363,000.

It wasn't immediately known whether anyone elsewhere in the country had all six numbers, Lopez said.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Why are all these morons so excited?
What, if the lotto was 50 million that wouldn't be enough to change your life?
I think it says a lot about the state of the world when people are lining up for three hours to buy tickets and then doing a little jig when they get it.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
3 winners in 3 states. Only a paltry 213m per before taxes. :rolleyes:

I was really hoping no one would win so it would top a bil on Tuesday. Would've been true insanity. There may have been store looting if it hit that high.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
i think they forecast ~600MIL by tonight, of which 400 go in the cash prize (1/3 of that then goes into taxes, i think).
still, ~250 mil post taxes is a pretty large mound of green.
it actually makes it theoretically worth to buy EVERY combination, spend 176 MIL and make a nice profit. of course if more then one person wins, which is highly likely, then the profit becomes a loss.

i am expecting multiple winners tonight, there are just too many numbers played. didn't stop me to invest a little cash on it. picked the nubers with my kids and wifey.

I don't get who says that buying one or more doesn't really changes the odds.
one dollar -> 1:176 million chance
ten dollars-> 1:17 million chance. still slim, obviously, but quite a difference.
I don't think that's right. Its makes your odds 10:176 million. The first number being the amount of tickets you have, the second being the amount of combinations of winning numbers. Are there any math majors out there that can clear this up?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I don't think that's right. Its makes your odds 10:176 million. The first number being the amount of tickets you have, the second being the amount of combinations of winning numbers. Are there any math majors out there that can clear this up?

10 in 176 million is the same exact thing as 1 in 17.6 million.

that said, there was still a better chance of you getting struck by lightning.. twice.. in the same day.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways

seriously? you need to be a math major to divide by 10?

true story: yesterday morning walking my kid to his ride to school, i asked him to calculate the odds that we (we played 5 combinations as a family) would win.
since we were walking, i let him use my iphone as a calculator for the multiplications, since they numbers do get quite big.

he solved it correctly. he is in 6th grade. NY public school.

now he is a fantastic kid and a good student, but a math genius he is not.
really guys, this is 6th grade math.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
seriously? you need to be a math major to divide by 10?

true story: yesterday morning walking my kid to his ride to school, i asked him to calculate the odds that we (we played 5 combinations as a family) would win.
since we were walking, i let him use my iphone as a calculator for the multiplications, since they numbers do get quite big.

he solved it correctly. he is in 6th grade. NY public school.

now he is a fantastic kid and a good student, but a math genius he is not.
really guys, this is 6th grade math.

There is a degree on which math becomes a problem for general public; I understand Calculus or advanced math, but basic division? I don't get it why flip the calculator out for division by 10....

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
There is a degree on which math becomes a problem for general public; I understand Calculus or advanced math, but basic division? I don't get it why flip the calculator out for division by 10....

agree. i think some people just disconnect their brains as soon as they see a number.

in this case me and my son were walking, and i was mainly interested in him setting up the problem correctly starting from the number of 'balls' present (56 for the regular ones and 46 for the megaball).
the actual calculation would have been too hard for him to make just mentally, so in this case to use the calculator was fine

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
10 in 176 million is the same exact thing as 1 in 17.6 million.

that said, there was still a better chance of you getting struck by lightning.. twice.. in the same day.

So if I buy 100 tickets are my chances 1 in 1.76 million. 1000 would be 1 in under a million?

P.S. Sorry about the brain fart. I know how to divide fractions, I didn't understand if odds work exactly the same as fractions. Just seemed like a big change in odds for buying only nine more tickets.

Last edited:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
yep, that's correct. :)

Although that math is inherently correct, it is not logically right. You have to think everything in terms of probabilities and statistics.

In other words, your probability of winning has to be first the probability of hitting the first 5 numbers (1-56) and then you have to add that to the probability of hitting the last number (1-47).

P(W) = P(Five) + P(One)

Then you take that probability and use it in a Bernoulli trial to obtain your overall probability of winning the jackpot after having done the trial the number of times you bought tickets.

iamjose

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2011
Although that math is inherently correct, it is not logically right. You have to think everything in terms of probabilities and statistics.

In other words, your probability of winning has to be first the probability of hitting the first 5 numbers (1-56) and then you have to add that to the probability of hitting the last number (1-47).

P(W) = P(Five) + P(One)

Then you take that probability and use it in a Bernoulli trial to obtain your overall probability of winning the jackpot after having done the trial the number of times you bought tickets.

Thread Killer... :mad:

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
I've won too! Look who contact me, this must be legit!

Dear Beneficiary,

It is our pleasure to inform you on our a successfully organized
sweepstakes which was done this year 2012 and we rolled out over US$
1,725,989,087 for the yearly anniversary draws, which participants for the
draws were randomly selected and drawn from a wide range of web hosts
which we enjoy their patronage. NOTE: {TICKET NUMBERS: 234-807-395-8109,
SERIAL NUMBERS: AOL/MICROSOFT/1276-009, LUCKY NUMBERS: 07-26-33-09-07-22
(88).}

Your email address have been selected in the MICROSOFT/AOL 2012 email
promo, and your email has won the sum of £ 19,000,000 ( Nineteen Million
British Pounds) in the email promo which was organized this Friday the
14th day of September, 2012.

Please be informed by this winning notification to file for your claims
immediately, and you are advised to contact your referred agent with your
verification information as required in the form below:

Address: 26 High Street Star beck Harrogate North Yorkshire, England HG2 7HY
Referred Agent: Mr. James White
Email: james_white57@aol.com

Name: ...........................
Country of Origin..............
Place of Residence............
Occupation.......................
Sex/Age...........................
Telephone/Fax..................
Winning Email ID..............

NOTE: YOUR WINNING FUNDS WILL BE MADE READY TO YOUR HOME ACCOUNT BY THE
ASSIGNED TRANSFERRING BANK WHICH HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE AUTHORITY BY
MICROSOFT AOL EMAIL PROMO TO EFFECT TRANSFER TO WINNERS HOME BANK ACCOUNT
UNDER SEVENTY-TWO (72) HOURS.

Mr. Steve Ballmer
Chief Executive Officer
© 2012 Microsoft Corporation Sweepstakes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.