Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akindy

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
I had an Alpine head unit that no longer works with my iPhone, but my solution was to get a Griffin Auto Pilot and use the aux input instead. I actually like this solution more as it allows me to pick the song from the iPod part of my phone and see the track info on there as well. No in car interface is as good as the iPod's interface.

hokullani

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2006
Old accessories not charging iPhone 3g..

I found out today that some of my old accessories are not charging the new iphone, the first one i tried was the firewire cable/wall plug that came with my 3g ipod. All that comes on the screen is a yellow triangle with a ! in the middle saying this device can not charge the iphone. Same thing happens with my old ipod car charger. Both worked on the first iphone so why not on this one?

KMApple

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Not 100% certain of the terminology but

They've changed the PIN connector so you cannot charge via Firewire anymore. Any other USB chargers should be ok though. Something to do with removing one of the firewire pins on the new iphone.

sixbit

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
3g doesn't charge with ipod hifi

It's a shame that the 3G doesn't even charge with apple's own device.
Anyone know of an adapter that could sit between the 3G and the HIFI that could plug into the wall and charge it while it's playing in the HIFI? I'd hate to have to buy a new speaker because of this incompatability.

Cheers,
sixbit

applemax

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2005
It's a shame that the 3G doesn't even charge with apple's own device.
Anyone know of an adapter that could sit between the 3G and the HIFI that could plug into the wall and charge it while it's playing in the HIFI? I'd hate to have to buy a new speaker because of this incompatability.

Cheers,
sixbit

The most elegant way would be to buy an iPhone 3G dock from Apple. Plug the mains into it and a line out cable into the iPod Hi-Fi's Line-in. Then, you get exactly the same performance but just with an extra dock. That's probably what I'm gonna do. :)

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
Works great with my two Logitech Audio Stations. Bought them from Tiger Direct for $30 after rebate! One in the office, one at home. I am super glad that I can throw it in the station when I am at work, put on Pandora and listen to some slick new tunes :)

iowa josh

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
One more update.

Klipsch says the iGroove will also charge and play the iPhone 3G

(BTW - yes gtg = good to go. sorry for the lingo)

Baron58

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2004
DICE upgrade soon...

The DICE interfaces for the car consist of an interface box that is wired in, and a cable that plugs between the box and the iPod/iPhone (mini-DIN on one end, dock connector on the other).

I just received confirmation that DICE will have an updated cable "...in the next three months..." that will replace the original cable and make our DICE interfaces charge the iPhone 3G. I'm *very* relieved, but still bummed that it'll be three months...

james2538

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The DICE interfaces for the car consist of an interface box that is wired in, and a cable that plugs between the box and the iPod/iPhone (mini-DIN on one end, dock connector on the other).

I just received confirmation that DICE will have an updated cable "...in the next three months..." that will replace the original cable and make our DICE interfaces charge the iPhone 3G. I'm *very* relieved, but still bummed that it'll be three months...

This is amazing news!!! :D

Three months is a while but it is better than nothing!

I called this afternoon and he said it should be available within a month or so.

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
Same boat, I mean car....

Discovered also on Saturday that my car setup with the Perhipheral Electronics setup connected directly behind the dash to the Acura TL's Honda CD/Radio system was working just fine, maybe even sounded better than ever but would not take a charge.

I had not noticed the additional information on the screen about not taking a charge. Contacted Peripheral Electronics and apparently they were getting voicemails all weekend with similar reports.

They are going to look into it. If Apple has a solution with an adaptor I'd love to get my hands on it.

(I have a Belkin lighter charger to usb adaptor that I've never used. Will attempt a charge with the additional cable bought from the Apple Store. Even if it works I don't want to go that route. Can't play music when charging and there's the competition with the Tom Tom GPS.)

Okay, crossing fingers Apple can help on this straight away.

specops

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
i have 2g iphone and 3g iphone and the new 3g iphone wont even play on one of my ipod docks... both phones are running 2.0 software so im guessing its a hardware issue with the new phone? wtf is up with that????? APPLE :mad::mad::mad:

dazaroonie

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Well I also had this problem with both my old 3rd gen iPod charger & a Firewire based 12V car charger. Today I bought a new USB based wall charger and an 'iPhone Compatible' 12V car charger to replace my old ones (which worked perfect with my 1st gen iPhone) and BOTH did NOT work.

The USB based wall charger has no effect on the 3G iPhone whatsoever, doesn't charge or give a warning message and the dedicated 'iPhone Compatible' 12V car charger displays a warning triangle saying this accessory is not designed for the iPhone.

I'm pissed off to say the least!!!

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
It does suck. I have a iHome radio and a Kensington FM transmitter that were bought new for my 5G iPod just a few years ago. They both could charge my old iPhone, but neither will charge the new iPhone. It sucks that because they still work and now I'm forced to sell them and buy new stuff.

tfward

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2008
Same thing happened to me. I had an iPod car charger that worked on my original iPhone, but it won't work on my 3g iPhone. I get a warning saying this accessory is not compatible and will not charge. Anyone have any ideal where I can find a working car charger that will work other then an apple store that I won't have to pay a fortune for.

jazzbb

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
iphone 3g car charging problems KCE-422i

The iphone 2g used to connect to my car Alpine KCE-422i adapter perfectly. It played music through the cars speakers and charged the battery simultaneously. The Iphone 3g on the other had does not work the same, it still plays the music but it does not charge the phone i get the error “charging is not supported with this accessory.” I know Apple has abandoned Firewire as a method of charging iPods and iPhones starting with the iPhone 3G, and as a result any devices that used the Firewire method of charging will no longer work with the iPhone 3G. Is this the problem with the Alpine KCE-422i? If so what solutions are available that will allow me to play my music through the car audio speakers and charge simultaneously. My car audio deck is a CDE-9872, connected to the KCE-422i, connected to the iphone.

chtrs

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
same here...

I'm having the same trouble. Which is a complete PITA as I would never charge my phone during work, but in the long commute I would plug it in and be able to listen to my tunes and charge my phone. The problem that I see with this, is that if I'm going down the road and charging my phone (on a very old USB/12 Volt converter with a 4th Gen iPod cable), I'm not able to hear an incoming call or message. Previously with the KCE-422i cable, the music would mute slightly and allow me to be notified when something was coming through.

So, I'm following what you are saying about the firewire support, but given the fact that I can still use my old 4th gen USB cable to charge the phone just fine, this tells me that the pinouts are the same as they used to be. It appears that Apple didn't consider all the legacy cables and accessories out there with this version of phone. My girlfriends iLo car charger device purchased just a few months ago for her car and iPhone now doesn't work at all (same message about not supporting charging).

Hopefully Apple will release an update soon like they did last year that allowed the Alpine head unit to charge and play. But if anyone else has any ideas, I'm all ears.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2007
I have a DLO FM transmitter that I used with my Ipod touch that both charges and plays through the radio. I was REALLY happy to find out it works and charges my 3G.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
My old white Belkin iPod car charger that I used for my old iPhone, as well as the Sony iPod ready stereo I just bought two months ago, that worked with my old iPhone just fine despite the "not made for iPhone message" no longer work. Went to the Apple store and bought the Griffin car charger; it works great, though I'm aggravated they decided to kill the aftermarket accessories again, like they did with video on the last batch of iPods.. :mad:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/T...op_ipod/ipod_accessories/power&mco=MTI5Mjc3OQ

This charger works great with the 3G phone

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
jbl on stage III charges ok but the iPhone gives the 'this device is not designed for iPhone' message.

get nasty hiss though but have work around.

rookpsu

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Philadelphia
I'm really curious as well. I want to know if this was a business or engineering decision...and if it's a software (fixable) or hardware limitation.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
OK, so I understand that they ditched firewire support in favor of usb only.

My questions is WHY?! Does anybody know? Any advantage in usb over firewire?

It's cheaper to support one and not both. Everyone has USB, not everyone has firewire. It's as simple as that.

I'm really curious as well. I want to know if this was a business or engineering decision...and if it's a software (fixable) or hardware limitation.
Hardware.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
yup same here .. I have one charger, one clock radio and one stereo system that won't work with my new 3G iPhone .. it's more annoying because I really don't think it said anywhere in the info about the new model that it wouldn't work with the old stuff .. I'm still using my iPod touch in these things but I'm kind of miffed .. it means that I have to go out and spend yet more money on an official Apple charger and my nice shiney new (less than a month!) clock radio won't work any more ..
Ho hum ..

Loopy

PS Still LOVING my iPhone tho! and even if I had known in advance I would have still purchased!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.