[Merged] $29 Snow Leopard vs. $169 Box Set Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Gregintosh, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

ModNote: Please use this thread for all questions related to the differences between the $29 SL upgrade and the $169 box set, including who needs to buy which, whether the upgrade is truly an upgrade-only or will work on other Intel Macs, etc. Bear in mind that the answer to some of these questions may not be known with certainty until SL is officially available in stores. --mkrishnan

Hey,

With all this talk of Snow Leopard being $29 for current 10.5 users, I do wonder does this mean Apple will make an upgrade DVD ($29) and separate full version DVD ($129)?

The reason I ask is because they are always careful to point out that current LEOPARD users get it for $29, they do not say it is for everyone at that price and there are plenty of people with Tiger who meet the requirements of 10.6 (my Aluminum iMac came with Tiger pre-installed and a Leopard drop-in DVD in the box).

Or perhaps they will require Leopard installed in order to perform the upgrade or the user to put in a Leopard DVD to prove they own it or something?

Or maybe I am just reading too much into this and it will be $29 for the full version we can install any way we please without special restrictions?

I am just semi-worried because if Snow Leopard was going to be $29 for all mac users they would not specifically go out of their way to keep saying that "Leopard users would get it for that much" they would instead say it will be "$29 for current mac owners" or just "it will be $29", what do you guys think?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's 120 for Tiger users, meaning it won't work on a Tiger machine, meaning it's an upgrade disk.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

My guess is that yes, this will happen.

Wise words. :)

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There have been a lot of questions about this, and a lot of people seem to feel like they have the definitive answer. However, as far as I know, Apple has yet to clarify just how this will work logistically. We can speculate about how it should work and what is reasonable, but until we see it implemented or Apple publishes a specific path, I would say we just don't know how it will work.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. 1ne macrumors regular

I will buy it regardless it's $29 or $129 but then again that's just me. ;)

6. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't mind either way really either since as a Leopard user I know I will qualify for the upgrade price, but it would just really annoy me if I could not do a clean install of Snow Leopard with the upgrade disc (like XP -> Vista upgrade discs which require XP installed first if you don't want to jump through hoops).

7. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I'm sure the upgrade disc will allow for a clean install. My theory is that it will check to see if 10.5 is on the machine, then it will allow for all normal options (erase & install, archive etc.)

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most of us feel that way, which is why most believe there will be a way to do this... but HOW it will be implemented has yet to be defined, at least by Apple as far as I can tell. There is a lot of speculation that it has to be this way... but little concrete evidence of how it will be implemented.

I don't know how Apple plans to do this... but I gotta believe they have thought it through, otherwise there is going to be a strong backlash.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i hope they make a full version DVD. I usually buy family packs to avoid any issues with multiple installs on my macs and I would hate to track down my leopard DVD just in case I have to reinstall.

10. 1ne macrumors regular

11. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

12. drjuice macrumors member

According to Apple:

From http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

Not sure what that means if someone has to do an Erase and Install of Snow Leopard.

13. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

People who are still using tiger on a intel mac he can get a box set with ilife '09,iwork '09 and snow leopard for $49

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Fixed that for ya.

15. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I don't think Apple is going to do an installed OS version check, because that would cause problems for clean installs etc. I think that if they even bother with checking if you do in fact have Leopard, it will ask for you to insert your leopard (10.5) disk before installing Snow Leopard 10.6.

But based on their record for lax licensing restrictions and such, I doubt they even will bother with Upgrade checks. I believe it will be just one disk, just as has been every other time.

Steve

16. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

how would it check your leopard disk with the snow leopard disk in already?

17. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

It could simply eject the Snow Leopard disk, insert Leopard, then reinsert Snow Leopard. Tedious, yes, which is why I don't think there will be any upgrade process. I don't think Apple cares enough...they still don't even use license keys.

Steve

18. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

There is precedence for version checking.

The 10.1 upgrade discs, which were handed out to anyone and everyone at Apple stores as part of a free upgrade from 10.0, did check for a valid existing install before installation.

However, it was easy to bypass if one had a blank DVD and a little editing skill.

19. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ya when its booted from that dvd.

20. Maccleduff macrumors regular

Apple is punishing Tiger users

So Snow Leopard is out soon.
    With no upgrade option for Tiger users other than the Mac Box Set for $169 (uk price ~£129?).

Tiger users are being penalised for not upgrading to Leopard when it came out and being able to upgrade to Snow Leopard for just $29 (£25).

What if I don't want or need iLife/iWork? Maybe I want to upgrade to iLife/iWork '10 next year?

I just want to buy Snow Leopard standalone, plain and simple. I really hope Apple come out with this soon.

21. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

So I'm assuming $29 Snow Leopard won't need Leopard installed?

Looking at http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html it doesn't say anything about the need to have OSX already installed on your system (on the left side of the page). On the right side it simply tells you how the upgrade process works.

22. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

EDIT: Oops, looks like the Mac Box Set is actually $169. I withdraw my analysis.

23. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

As far as I can see you definitely do need it:

24. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You can always buy both Leopard and Snow Leopard and therefore pay the same total price as everyone else.

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Snow Leopard is basically just rewrote Leopard, so 29$ is fair price plus, Apple wanted all Leopard users to upgrade to SL. Tiger to Leopard was much bigger step than Leopard to SL