Merged Future iPhone (post 3G / HSPA / FW2.0) Thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by born4sky, Jun 16, 2008.

1. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

So when is next one due ? :D
    Your Speculations ? Share your thoughts about iPhone Version 3 ...

ModNote: Sigh... if you really need to discuss versions of the iPhone that will come out at some future time after the iPhone that's due in July 08 (3G/HSPA), metadiscursive aspects of the same, or meta-metadiscursive aspects of the same, here is your place to do it. Please stop making new threads about it. --mkrishnan

2. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

can we wait for v2 to become available?

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

NO :)

I'd give it a year... it looks like a pretty decent business model they've got going ...

4. Archie- macrumors regular

5 Megapixel camera with auto focus and smile detection, auto-panorama.
    flash that can be used as a torch
    voice dialling
    full BT profiles
    FM radio
    16 GB storage and microSD expansion
    Divx support
    haptics

and of course everything else iPhone 3G has.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

We're talking about the iPhone, not the Samsung Omnia.

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

wow ... umm ... doubtful ...

They're going to keep adding features ... but they're not going to give you everything at once... I see them adding:
    wimax
    better camera
    better processor

7. rioja macrumors regular

- More expensive data plans
    - contract lock-in for 5 or 6 years
    - iPhone sells for $79 or $179 depending on contract

... so basically, more of the same

:D :D

8. ManUtd08 macrumors member

psssh...v.3. I am really excited about Iphone 4

9. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

*Front Camera with iChat
    *Metal backing, like Nano
    *Mobile TV (DVB)

I really only want the front camera, but the other two are nice to haves.

10. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

arent these the same things we were hoping for on the v2 and we didnt get them. so why are we hoping for them again

11. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

The camera and flash I can understand, as with voice dialing and decent bluetooth (though the latter can be added via Software Updates...), but why do people want FM Radio and expandable memory one a phone with 16GB?

I got an iPod to get away from generic radio stations, playing the same old rubbish all day long. If I wanted FM Radio, I'd but a £2, miniature radio.
    And expandable storage just seems wierd to me.. I could easily overfill 16GB, even 32GB once you add films etc, but I wouldnt want to carry around 3 or for different memory cards, labeled in tiny writing what was on them.

DivX support I can't really see Apple implimenting, but maybe a 3rd Party will find a way to do it. Its not a big deal though, since you can convert the files to something the iPhone can handle.

Having never experienced (couldnt think of a better word) haptics, I cant comment, but I'm happy with the current iPhone.

12. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

The half of everything we wanted to be in version 2.

13. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

btw guys the reason why we didn't get front face camera is because of att&t they just were scared of network overload, thats why they limiting iPhone downloads to 1.7.

Plus the second proximity sensor ... I think there something else behind it, i'd say yes it's is proximity sensor, but Jobs also want to find out how comfortable will be to have camera over there, it's like a tester or something.

14. Ademius macrumors regular

I would expect a redesign. A thinner phone (sureley they can't go thicker again?) If we would see a 3rd gen iPhone at wwdc 2009 or maybe at Macworld 2010? My long term wishlist; not at all expecting this at the next generation, considering what the difference were from iPhone 1st gen to 2nd gen.

Significantly improved camera
    Flash for the camera
    Front facing camera
    Storage capacity 32/64 GB
    Wifi 802.11n
    Evolved HSPA
    Tethering
    Full bluetooth capabilities with A2DP aswell as lossless BT encoding
    Wireless syncing of music, videos etc.
    Improved processor and RAM.

Any one of these would really be awesome. ;)
    Maybe iPhone 4th gen? If even that..

15. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

Didn't they lower it to 1,4?

16. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

I don't see them giving us everything we want. I see them focusing in one direction, and then building from there.

For example, they could go the all-camera route -- higher megapixel camera with a flash, zooming options, front-faced camera for videochat, videorecording, etc.

Or they could simply do aesthetic/technical enhancements while bumping everything up to the next level -- more color choices, slimmer design, capacity bumps, haptic touch, improved screen, improved speakers w/voice-dialing, etc.

Or perhaps focusing on streaming media? Getting movies & TV from our computers, getting radio stations from anywhere?

Or maybe there's another direction we're not even considering? Something new that only an innovator like Apple could know that we need? :)

17. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

that list sounds good to me!

18. Hopstretch macrumors regular

Hopstretch

Faster wifi, faster cell data, faster processor, more storage. All will clearly be along in the near future as the technologies required get cheaper and more power-efficient.

Then I'm laser-etching flames into the back of mine!

PS: I do think Apple is going to expand the iPhone product range before the next generation. Now that they've found a way to get the price of the standard model down for the mass market, they might as well add some bells and whistles and charge a fat premium to the bleeding-edgers among us.

19. xploit macrumors regular

Im with you! I think a new form factor is on the way at a higher price with more bells and whistles! I think we will see this BEFORE the holidays! This BUDGET 3G model just isn't going to cut it.

X-

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Slow news day?
    This is starting to be like the "w00t, first post!!" comments. :/

21. drpellypo macrumors 6502

maybe it's a marketing ploy. Maybe Apple will be launching an Apple iCamera.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Puhleez, if I could reach through your screen, I'd strangle you. What good can come of this thread?

23. Toadkillerdog macrumors member

I enjoyed reading it so take a hike and just ignore it if it doesn't please you! Strangling fetishes are a nasty thing, BTW...

24. born4sky thread starter macrumors 6502a

born4sky

... if anyone forget it again... THIS WEB SITE CALLED "MACRUMORS"

RUMOR
    1. a story or statement in general circulation without confirmation or certainty as to facts: a rumor of war.
    2. gossip; hearsay: Don't listen to rumor.
    3. Archaic. a continuous, confused noise; clamor; din.
    –verb (used with object)
    4. to circulate, report, or assert by a rumor: It is rumored that the king is dead.

P.S. Don't Like it don't READ it

25. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

3rd gen iPhone - how will upgrades work?

Ok -- so I really was NOT planning to upgrade from a 1st gen phone to a 2nd gen one, since the new phone doesn't offer enough of what I want (mainly improved camera). I also don't like the look of the plastic back, and I don't think paying the extra $15 a month is worth it for the extra speed and useless (to me) GPS. I think the new iPhone is an AMAZING deal for new people who want one, and I would TOTALLY get the new phone if I didn't already have the current one. But I just don't feel the need to upgrade.

But now...my boyfriend REALLY wants an iPhone. The $200 price-point is perfect -- as we can't really afford more than that. However, he currently has a Go Phone, as he's a non-citizen who's here on a multi-year visa, but can't get a 2-year contract with AT&T. So the new phone's not an option for him. I'd actually be willing to get the new phone for myself after all, JUST so I could give him my current one (which he'd be quite happy with -- anything's better than the cheapo budget phone he has now).

However...once people get the new iPhones, is it going to be impossible for them to upgrade if a 3rd generation phone comes out within the next two years? Well maybe not impossible (if unsubsidized versions come out), but at least very, very costly? I'm reading all these threads about how hard it will be for AT&T customers who already have a subsidized phone to get a new sub'd phone -- and I'm worried about that happening again when a 3rd gen iPhone comes out.

What do you guys think will happen? Do you think Apple/AT&T will have some kind of exception for people who bought the 2nd gen iPhone to upgrade to a 3rd gen? Or do you think new iPhone buyers will have to pay full cost each time there's a new phone? Heck - I'd be willing to sign a double-length contract (4 years) to ensure I could upgrade at a subsidized cost, if I felt a newer phone was worth it.

I'm just worried about getting the new phone, and then the 3rd gen comes out within a year, with a better camera, or some other really cool feature I want, and then not being able to afford the upgrade.