Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
The people saying 4G, 4GS, 4S done have much common sense. 4G is barely making a presence yet. Chances are the iP4 wont even be 4G capable. So calling it 4G makes no sense. Calling it a 4GS makes even less sense then.

I guess 4S is possible but unlikely because they finally got back on track with the iPhone 4:

iPhone 1 - iPhone 2G
iPhone 2 - iPhone 3G
iPhone 3 - iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

It would make the most sense to call it the iPhone 5

I completely agree.
I think this information needs to be stickied, because enough people are thinking that we're gonna go back to the "3GS"

People need to understand that iPhone 3G was the 2nd iPhone. And since it made no sense to go to iPhone 3G to iPhone 3 marketing wise, they made it into 3GS, and finally they got back in track with the 4. I don't think they'll be messing it up again by adding "4S" to it.
It'll very likely continue numerically from now on.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The people saying 4G, 4GS, 4S done have much common sense. 4G is barely making a presence yet. Chances are the iP4 wont even be 4G capable. So calling it 4G makes no sense. Calling it a 4GS makes even less sense then.

I guess 4S is possible but unlikely because they finally got back on track with the iPhone 4:

iPhone 1 - iPhone 2G
iPhone 2 - iPhone 3G
iPhone 3 - iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

Your little breakout there actually proves you wrong; it does not reinforce your argument at all.

The first three iPhones were named based on their features. Not any type of numerical naming convention. The iPhone4 is the one that does not belong in the group. The original was the iPhone. The next one added 3G radios and was called the 3G. The next one added speed, and was called the 3GS. The 4 is the odd man out.

I'd say it would make the most sense for Apple to go back to naming the phone for its features. We know the S will be there, and we know that the new cell chip being used in the Verizon iPhone is HSPA+ capable. So we know the next iPhone will have "4G" (as its being labeled by 2 carriers) capability AND bring the speed. So most logical? 4GS. Named after its features. As usual.

whyhellojoe

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
food for thought, iPhone 5 with a 4" screen hence the testing of the new multitouch gestures on the phone?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

iPhone 1 - iPhone 2G
iPhone 2 - iPhone 3G
iPhone 3 - iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4 - iPhone 4

I think the moniker "iPhone 5" has taken on a life of it's own. It would seem, at this point, to be somewhat of a let down if Apple merely named the next iPhone as 4s or something. To keep up with expectations, they'll probably go with iPhone 5 regardless of what updates it actually has.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Does it really matter what is it named after?

I personally think it most likely will be named iPhone 5 like they called the current iPad revision the iPad 2. The iPhone 4 is the 4th iPhone and the next one will be the 5th no matter what its features will be.

If it would be just "iPhone", it would become even more of an Icon. Maybe the device design changes every once in a while but the "inventional thought" behind it is still the same from the original iPhone.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
The problem with calling it just "iPhone" like they do the iPod updates is that carriers like to sell last year's model at a discounted price, so a failure to distinguish them would lead to some confusion.

I think the ultimate future of the iPhone will be to identify them by year, much as we already informally do with other products. So iPhone 2011 and iPhone 2012. It's how they sell cars; it makes sense for any annual product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.