[Merged] "iPhone nano" Launched for Christmas 2008 Season?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bensparrow, Aug 3, 2008.

1. bensparrow macrumors newbie

ModNote: Merged thread for the rumor, reported by several agencies this weekend, that Apple will be releasing a new, smaller iPhone this year as an extension of the iPhone line. --mkrishnan

So the 'Mail on Sunday' a, (I was going to say respectable but maybe I'd go with mainstream!) newspaper here in the UK claims Apple has a iPhone nano in the works, a stripped down version of the iPhone aimed at pay-as-you-go consumers, that it will be in store by Christmas and will cost a maximum of £150...
    Discuss!

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/scien.../Apple-launch-iPhone-nano-time-Christmas.html

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Well, while Apple has a good grip on the smart phone market, they don't have anything in the normal cell phone group which all usually have mp3 capabilities now-a-days, and I got to imagine that will some how effect their smaller mp3 players.

So a simple cell phone geared for just music, not sure about movies, then it might do well. But with many common functions missing in the iPhone, like stereo bluetooth, voice dialing, I think they might not want to bother. No one is going to want a half thought out regular phone where music might not be the buyers main concern compared to a practical convenient phone. It's easy to look over that with the full iPhone after everything else it does.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

This may end up being really cool.
    But I do hope you can choose to do not a pay as you go plan if you don't want, but a plan that is cheaper than the current ones.

4. yode macrumors 6502

if that girl didn't have the double chin, she would be a hottie with a bottie
    mind you, she is still a cutie with a bootie

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

thats absolute cr*p

anyway, unless the 'iphone nano' has no app store, every app out at the moment would need to be re-written for a smaller screen
    not going to happen

6. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article2059307.ece
    http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/07/the-iphone-nano.html
    I think there was a timesonline article with some wild predictions, but I can't find it to hand...

The Mail on Sunday? "industry source". Wow... I'd put more faith in The Onion giving us a factual prediction...
    Saying there is a nano coming is easy enough to say. Will MoS keep to its guns? Or will it blame the source if/when it turns out wrong?

The nano will probably go touchscreen soon, but the iPhone won't go nano. There's a minimum screen sized required. The finger size does not shrink, it's constant, as will thus be the icon sized, ergo a nano would be silly. Slim it down, maybe. Could the nano get an upgrade? possibly, if they added contacts and maybe calendar. But where's the value of a phone without one of the main pillars - a usable internet browser?

7. Okachi macrumors newbie

'However, a cut down version, with the candy bar shape of iPod nano music players, would be a huge hit as a Christmas gift.'

Says the 'industry source'. Notice the 'would' -- it's more like a 'what would be cool' remark than any kind of prediction. Methinks the papers have just taken it the wrong way (and the Mail is known for being heavily sensationalistic).

Who knows? I'd wager that Apple is more likely to enjoy having the 'world's best phone' label for a while, cutting the price in a year or two so that they can compete in the lower-end market without having to bring out a cut-down product.

Or maybe, like with the company's computer business, they'll ignore the super-cheap low-end market and stick the 'premium' products...

M

8. IndianaiPhone macrumors regular

My version of an iPhone Nano

Attached Files:

9. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

I dont see this happening too many changes it's not just manufacture and sell. there is a lot more involved than that.

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

if they do it better be worse than a normal iPhone. i have to have the best device, and dont want to get screwed

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Apple to launch the iPhone 'nano' in time for Christmas says Daily Mail

Apple to launch the iPhone 'nano' in time for Christmas

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1041006/Apple-launch-iPhone-nano-time-Christmas.html

Note - The Daily Mail is a British newspaper that is known for slightly sensationalist reporting, and their articles are not always wholly true.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Duplicate thread. Will try and find the link. Ack, canna find it. I'd say there is a viable minimum screen size for browsing the internet in comfort. I'd say the 3.5 is the right side, but a current nano sized screen?

Unnamed "expert" articles with no real prior success rate = massive whiff of fail. Would PAYG want a smaller version? Not so likely.

Edit: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=536691

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This was said earlier: "Unless the iPhone nano has NO App Store, every application out there is going to need to be rewritten to fit on the smaller screen."

It's not happening.

14. sparkyms macrumors 65816

As lovely as that would be dude, it wouldnt happen like that..

how would the SMS app work with a full sized keyboard?.. It couldn't really could it, not without having a high-res screen which made everything look smaller, then it would be harder to use..

15. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

You think that Apple would be interested in making it's platform 'installer friendly'?
    I dont see the iPod nano having such apps where as the iPod touch does!

16. umop apisdn macrumors member

umop apisdn

It's just speculation that's got out of control.

Someone has obviously said a pay as you go iphone will be out by christmas and they have gone crazy with that..

17. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5A347 Safari/525.20)

repost and it's not going to happen.

18. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I don't see the iPod nano having a touchscreen whereas the iPhone nano would need one.

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Don't think this is going to happen.

Call it a gut feeling.

20. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

And what makes you so sure?... thats the whole point of 'nano'... which means small and I bet it'll be really tough to tap and drag and push and type and swipe on a 2 or 2.5 inch multi touch screen!;)

21. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Translation: This newspaper lies to its readership as a matter of editorial policy. Anything in its pages should be treated with the utmost suspicion.

22. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Duplicate. Source is known for embellishment. It's NOT happening.