[Merged] Response to iPhone haters / Ease up on Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wikoogle, Jun 25, 2010.

1. wikoogle macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

If you know me, you know that I'm a hell of a lot more critical of apple than most people here. But even I think people need to ease up on the apple hate about this issue. People seem to either have ridiculously high expectations of Apple, or this incredibly deep burning hatred towards them and everything they do. The extremes in how people view this one company is insane.

No they're not evil, and no they're not gods either.

So they overlooked something, forgot to coat the phone, or didn't test this particular aspect enough. I'm sure they will offer a fix (replace the coating, issue free bumpers or something of that sort eventually).

The customer service is still rock solid. If you have an issue with this, return the iPhone, get a case of some sort, or get it replaced till you find a phone without the issue.

At the end of the day, other than this one issue, they still made a FANTASTIC device.

To my knowledge, in terms of brightness and PPI, it has hands down the best screen of any mass production consumer electronics device in history. Yes, it desperately needs a 4.3 inch display, but other than this, it's perfect.

It has the best or just about the best camera and video camera of any smartphone on the market by most everyone's tests.

It has the fastest speed and performance of any smartphone on the market.

It has the most appealing and attractive design of any smartphone on the market.

By all indications, it has the best battery life of any smartphone on the market.

It also happens to be thinnest smart phone on the market.

And they did it all on a ridiculously short design timespan, while simultanously juggling a number of different products, and managed to pull of a worldwide release with millions of copies ready at launch.

This wasn't an instance of Apple neglecting to include basic features that they should have had, and that their customers were clamoring for (video camera and 512mbs of ram on the iPad), (blu ray and a decent GPU on the Macbook Pros). This was an instance of Apple designing and building a truly kickass revolutionary device and making a small oversight in manufacturing that I have no doubt will be corrected shortly.

One relatively minor issue that I am sure will be fixed shortly, and can be addressed with a case, a bumper, a piece of tape, or a repositioning of your hand should not be enough to crucify the iPhone 4 at the stake.

Honestly, the turn around time for Apple products and repairs amazes me.

Compare it to the Xbox 360.

Microsoft still hasn't fixed the Red Ring of Death issue completely, and they've had FOUR YEARS. And that's an issue that literally destroys their hardware and makes their customers go out and buy another copy.

And even they don't get the kind of flack that Apple is getting over a minor issue (atleast it can be avoided with a case and it doesn't destroy the phone), that will almost certainly be fixed within a month's time.

2. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Just so you know, a case isn't fixing the issue for everyone. My husband has this problem, so we went to buy a case last night, and it doesn't help; meanwhile, my phone is okay (bars go down a bit but nothing happens while my husband's phone actually goes to NO SERVICE). Apple obviously made a bad batch of phones or didn't put a proper sealant around the antenna or some other manufacturing error and they need to own up to it instead of telling loyal customers to change the way they hold their phones!!!!!!

3. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

4. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

It's actually hilarious that you called me a fanboy, because just a few months ago, when I was critical of Apple for neglecting basic features like a camera or 512 mbs of ram in the iPad, and for neglecting things like blu ray and a truly next gen GPU in their entire consumer Macbook pro line while charging an arm and a leg for it, people were calling me Bill Gates! :D

Read this thread or this thread for examples. I'm certainly not what you would classify as an Apple fanboy. When they actually merit criticism (when they refuse to include features many of their customers desperately want and need), I'm more critical of them than anybody.

Seriously read those threads. They are an extremely amusing and informative read considering how many accusations people were throwing at me about being an Apple hater for starting them.

1. Microsoft admitted to the problem NEARLY ONE FULL YEAR AFTER CUSTOMERS STARTED EXPERIENCING THE ISSUE. The rest of the time, they were denying it. It's been just 48 hours since this issue with the iPhones has been reported. And I am guessing that within a month, this issue will have been dealt with completely. If not, I'll be pissed off at them too. But 48 hours is not enough time to figure something like this out and how best to fix it.

2. Microsoft created a free of charge short term solution to the problem NEARLY ONE FULL YEAR AFTER THE PROBLEM showed up. Again, if you think Microsoft's denial of the problem for months and months, and then finally an offer to repair broken Xbox's nearly a full year after the problem showed up was generous, you should give Apple the same amount of time (nearly an year) to offer a fix to this problem. I frankly think an year is an absurdly long time to take to find a solution. But atleast give them a week. But you haven't been. It's been just 48 hours and you're already crucifying them.

3. Microsoft developed a new manufacturing way to fix the problem a FULL FOUR YEARS after the problem occured. And even then, they didn't offer customers a free upgrade to the fixed Xbox 360s. They just do half assed repairs of the same old defective Xbox's for three years, and then stop even doing that. Once the three years are up, when the Xbox croaks again, it's up to the customer to buy a new $300 fixed Xbox that didn't have the hardware problem. So if you think that's so great. Then you should give Apple FOUR YEARS to fix this issue, not 48 hours.

Likewise, it took Toyota many years to even acknowledge the problem with their brakes. And it took them four different recalls before they were able to solve it. And that was an issue that was actually killing people. Yes, that was an example of gross incompetence. But taking a week or so isn't. Problems of this nature take some time to figure out how best to fix, no matter how many resources you throw into doing so. Expecting Apple to have this problem resolved within 48 hours of it being discovered is just being unreasonable.

I'm not saying that we should give Apple an year to fix this. If they don't have this resolved within a month's time, I will join the chorous of people crucifying them. What I'm saying is, atleast give them a week or two to figure out what is happening and how to best address it. And until then, just hold the phone higher and put a piece of tape there, or a case on it. Some people are acting like this is the end of the world or something. It's not.

Kavier, that's actually great news, that the issue is with a batch of phones.

If you have this issue and it's just a batch of phones that are defective, Apple WILL replace them or exchange them for new ones. They are far more willing to do product replacements than any other electronics company I know of.

And I'm sure that whatever is causing the problem will be fixed in manufacturing shortly, so the next batch of phones shouldn't have this issue at all.

5. big0mar macrumors regular

Do you have any evidence of this? Or is this just your assumption? What makes it so "obvious"?

6. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

Couldn't agree more, people seem to want to hate on every little detail purely because how popular Apple is, its 'cool' to hate them. Get off that bandwagon.

This device is by far the best I've ever seen and used, sure it has a few quirks that will be worked out.

Nexus One launch anyone? Just because its Apple this time doesnt make it any different, no one hated Google for the failure of a launch..

7. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

The fact that my phone works while my husband's doesn't is pretty OBVIOUS when I can make a call and he has NO SERVICE. Not to mention many reporters are saying their review units work just fine while other units they actually bought are experiencing the antenna issue.

8. mangohippo macrumors member

Funny, I didn't think Apple forced anyone to buy their phone...on launch day.

For whatever reason, tech geeks tend to turn into prepubescent children when their new devices don't work exactly how they hoped. Meanwhile, elsewhere, everyone is enjoying their new phone. If your hand causes you to lose your signal and it bothers you, return it.

9. diabolic macrumors 68000

I agree. The indignation is ridiculous. There is a reason Apple has one of the best customer service ratings in any industry. It will get figured out, even for those that are impatient and unreasonable.

10. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

I didn't realize that being able to make a phone call with a phone was a "ridiculously high expectation."

OP = Epic fail.

11. big0mar macrumors regular

Thats hardly indicative of a hardware issue.

12. big0mar macrumors regular

Why haven't you returned your IP4?

13. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

Reading comprehension = Fail.

Where did I say that this isn't an issue? What I wrote is that it's not the massive issue that people are blowing it out to be. And it's certainly not an issue that will still be around a month from now.

If the problem is with the coating, or just a bad batch of phones as it currently seems to be the case, then it will be addressed soon in manufacturing and Apple will do product replacements and exchanges without hesistation.

14. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

You're right...even though my husband and I have the exact same software and are sitting right by each other using the same model of phone and one of us is having issues while the other is not definitely indicates software or a low AT&T signal is to blame!! It surely couldn't be a bad batch of phones!!!!!

15. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Just to be clear... does his phone not work when you are holding it, and your phone does work when he is holding it?

16. iphoneguy123 macrumors regular

I'm awaiting the return label from apple.com

Owned.

17. wikoogle thread starter macrumors 6502a

wikoogle

From her post, it sounds like she tried using both phones, holding them both in the exact same position in the exact same location, and she gets no service on one and perfectly fine service on the other.

If this is the case. It's EXCELLENT news. Because it's basically proof positive that this issue is limited to a certain batch of phones, and can easily be addressed in manufacturing, and the customers experiencing problem will be able to get replacement units.

It sounds very plausible especially considering that reviewers have already wrote that they didn't experience these issues with their review units.

Thus, I really think she should make a video of it, showing her holding both phones in the same position, and demonstrating that one has a much stronger signal than the other one.

The video would absolutely be front page news on this site, and quite a few other sites.

18. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

+1

To all the critics out there, "What have you done that's so great?" - SJ

'nuf said!

19. bacsig macrumors newbie

Oh please. Then JUST TAKE IT BACK. :D

20. big0mar macrumors regular

It certainly can be a bad batch. It can also be a software issue. I dont' know, but I wouldn't say its obvious, especially considering some 3GS iPhones with iOS4 are having the same issues.

21. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

No his phone doesn't work no matter who holds it, while my phone works no matter which one of us holds it.

22. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

Mine makes phone calls perfectly fine regardless of how I hold it or where I am. No one is saying this isn't an issue. It's just not the end of the world for all iPhone4 users as so many posters are making it out to be.

Yes there is a problem with some of the phones at launch (maybe even all of the phones). Apple will find a way to fix the issue and most of us will move on. Then there are some who will hold this over Apple's head forever and I say good riddance.

23. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

Actually I read her post just the opposite when she talked about the two of them sitting side by side, which is why I'd be interested in having her clarify. Either result would be interesting. If one phone works differently from the other no matter who is using it, I agree that it suggests a solvable manufacturing defect. If, on the other hand (pun!), the problem is specific to the user rather than the device, we may be looking at a basic design problem. It would be an interesting data point to add to the discussion, that's for sure.

24. irich25 macrumors regular

because we bought it with our hard earn money and it is not working correctly out of box...

25. Kavier macrumors 6502a

Kavier

Let me see what I can do when my husband gets home from work.