[Merged] Verizon Rumors Thread, June-July 2010 Edition

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CFused, Jun 29, 2010.

1. CFused macrumors newbie

Thinking about returning my iPhone 4 after reading the article by Bloomberg that Verizon will have the iPhone in Jan 2011. Would we be able to use the iPhone 4 on the 4g network? I wonder if apple has a new phone ready for Verizon.

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Umm...no. How many "concrete" Verizon rumors have there been now?

Oh yeah, a lot.

3. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Is Verizon going to be giving out free bumpers? :confused:

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Have fun waiting. That article carries as much weight as my saying, "I know a guy who says its coming to Sprint first".

5. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

too bad you wont be able to use data and voice simultaneously. Or use your phone outside the US.

But as an AT&T customer I welcome less burden on my network so I am all for the switch.

You know that commercial where the iPhone user puts his buddy on hold and makes sushi reservations? Need to rethink it a bit.

6. LotuSviLLe macrumors member

When I can get a monthly bill of $64 with Verizon like I do now with AT&T yes, I'll switch.

7. raremage macrumors 6502a

Wait, Sprint? When? Soon? November? Will they have it by Labor Day?

8. CFused thread starter macrumors newbie

9. dark1x macrumors newbie

I dunno, Verizon seems way over hyped to me. Have any of you used Verizon? It definitely isn't much better than AT&T.

I work in IT and we recently went through a process to potentially change our cell phone service provider. Verizon was high on the list and we did a lot of testing with their phones. Around here, at least, I found the performance to be about average. There were areas where coverage was better than others and areas where it was worse.

I believe the "grass is always greener on the other side" arguments could be applied here.

10. bova80 macrumors 6502a

Verizon is caught up in their Android phones so this is once again a rumor that so many people will believe only to be disappointed come January

11. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

This is not the first "reputable" site that has said this, and they have said it before. WSJ has said it many times in the past.

The fact that Verizon have openly said numerous times they have no plans for a Verizon iPhone speaks to me more than anything. Verizon have taken the Android path and it will be that way for long enough. It will happen one day, but it will be when the Verizon 4G LTE network is built out enough.

Apple is probably making a CDMA phone, but it's more than likely for the Chinese market which is a LOT bigger than Verizon.

12. accinfo macrumors member

I wouldn't worry about it. If you want to switch to Verizon you'll be able to sell your Iphone 4 on ebay for at least the amount you will have to pay to early terminate your contract. I have been able to upgrade to every version of the Iphone and sell my old one for as much or more then I paid for the newer version.

I am sure there will be many post about how this is more unfounded rumors which it may be. However the it just seems like there is more "where there is smoke there is fire" type information out there.

13. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

They'd be waiting a long time.

I think they might announce the Verizon iPhone in January, but I can't see it being actually available until June 2011, because that would fit with Apple probably introducing a 4G compatible new iPhone on both ATT and Verizon, and maybe other carriers.

14. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Hrm, return your phone based off the same rumors that have been going on for the last 3 years... Not exactly the wisest move.

15. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It's not exactly confirmed officially by either Verizon or Apple. It was just something that "two people familiar with the plans said."

16. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

If Verizon has a comparable monthly rate, free bumper, tix to "O" at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, a "Death Grip" guarantee... then sure I'll switch.

17. CFused thread starter macrumors newbie

True, I never really followed up on the reports. But looking through what has been said in the past I will probably wait until apple has something to say!

18. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Twice this summer high ranking employees of Verizon have stated that they will not have the iPhone on Big Red "any time soon" and to instead "focus on our line up of android devices".....Dream on dreamer...life get's in your way

19. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

I still think it won't be until 2012. At that point Verizon and AT&T will both have LTE up and working, and Apple can make one iPhone for both networks.

I wouldn't hold your breath about this January rumor. There were a lot of rumors about this summer as well - that obviously didn't pan out. Apple wants to stick with GSM for now.

Also, I know Verizon is a business and all, but it's very possible they don't WANT to deal with Apple and the iPhone. They seem pretty strong on the Android kick right now.

20. tritonj macrumors 6502a

this comes to mind

"the devil you know is better than the devil you don't"

it is great news it is coming to verizon, but holding out hope it will save you from all the issues you have with att is wishful thinking. eventually things will be better as users will be split between networks but for now both will have their share of issues

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

22. ryuuzaki macrumors member

ryuuzaki

LMAOOOOOO

+10000000 on this. :D

Verizon Customer: We're waiting.

Sprint Customer: Waiting for who?

Verizon Customer: Waiting for iPhone.

Sprint Customer: Ah!

23. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

what is so damn special about verizon? My business phone is verizon and I have better service with my AT&T phones. I dont understand why people think it will change the world if the iphone is on their service. Once it gets on their service, then their data network WILL get slammed too!

They wont be able to handle it any better then AT&T. The same issues will still exist people. Lucky for me I have wonderful service and couldnt care less if the iphone goes to every carrier in america. I am just curious as to why people think its gonna be a whole new world if verizon had the phone.

AT&T has over 50 MILLION people using iphones on their network. Verizon has no where in the ballpark on their top selling phone. So I wish people would stop acting like verizon would just be this perfect carrier, when they arent.

24. JulesK macrumors 6502

Not for a CDMA-only phone

Unless the call quality/drop issues become unbearable (and they are not where I live/work), I wouldn't switch back to Verizon (having just switched to AT&T to buy my first iPhone). Unless the Verizon iPhone has GSM compatibility (like the Verizon Blackberry's that operate on both systems) and unless the rate plans are cheaper, I won't switch back. Even though Verizon offers an unlimited Blackberry data plan, I would have to spend $20 on top of the amount I pay for 2 gigs of data with AT&T before I match it. So far, happy, so long as I can get a decent case soon!