Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg today compared the Apple Vision Pro to the $500 Meta Quest 3 in an Instagram video, and provided several reasons why he thinks Meta's headset is better than Apple's.

meta-quest-3.jpg

According to Zuckerberg, the Quest 3 is better "for the vast majority of things that people use mixed reality for," and here are some of the things he said about the Meta Quest 3:
  • It's 7x less expensive than Vision Pro.
  • It does high-quality passthrough with big screens "just like Vision Pro."
  • Quest is a lot more comfortable - it's 120 grams less.
  • There are no wires that get in the way when you move around.
  • The field of view is wider and the screen is brighter.
  • Vision Pro has motion blur when you move around. Quest is a lot crisper.
  • Precision controllers are available, as is hand tracking, and Quest's hand tracking is more accurate.
  • Quest's immersive content library is a lot deeper.
  • You can watch YouTube or play Xbox.
Zuckerberg said that he was surprised at the "tradeoffs" that Apple had to make to provide a higher resolution screen than is offered by the Quest 3, sacrificing "comfort," "ergonomics," and more. He went on to explain that Apple is not always the leader in a new product category, and that he hopes Meta's devices will ultimately "win."
Now look, I know that some fanboys get upset whenever somebody dares to question if Apple is going to be the leader in a new category, but the reality is that every generation of computing has an open and a closed model. And yeah, in mobile, Apple's closed model won. It's not always that way. If you go back to the PC era, Microsoft's open model was the winner. In this next generation, Meta is going to be the open model, and I really want to make sure that the open model wins out again. The future is not yet written.
The Meta Quest 3 launched back in October. It has two 2K LCD panels compared to the Apple Vision Pro's 4K microLED displays. It weighs 515 grams while the Vision Pro weighs 600 to 650 grams, and it does not have a separate battery pack. It uses Qualcomm's Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chipset, has 8GB RAM, and is equipped with Touch Plus controllers.

Meta has produced several headsets so far, including the Oculus Quest, the Oculus Quest 2, the Quest 3, and the Quest Pro. Apple plans to continue producing headsets, and rumors suggest that the next-generation version will be much more affordable. When explaining the price of the Vision Pro, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that it was "tomorrow's technology today."

Article Link: Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg Says Quest 3 is Better Than Apple Vision Pro

garotemonkey

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2005
I’m not inclined to listen to any CEO who uses the word “fanboy” in his official press statements.

What is this guy’s game plan, exactly? Corner the cheap VR market??

You can bet that whatever he says, he has a skunkworks team working madly behind closed doors to release “Facebook for Vision Pro”.

mukiex

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
I'm sure Tim Cook will tell you that iPhone is a better gaming platform than Nintendo Switch.

Elon Musk will tell you in a heartbeat that the Plaid Model S is a better car than the Porsche Taycan.

Unquestionably, Sony's Rob Stringer would recommend an XM-whatever over Airpods Max.

Why is this a story? o_0

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
Haven't I seen this list somewhere here before in the forum comments?! Marky, are you masquerading on these boards! Explains a LOT!

He is right though, the Quest is a lot cheaper. and it has hardware controllers you hold in your hands! because who wants their hands free to type after all?

oh wait..

look, I will say it here. If you want to play games. Buy Marky's Quest.

rgwebb

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
Apple entering the VR/AR/XR market is the best thing that ever happened to Meta. It's like Google's plans for the smartphone until January 2007, except they never brought their Blackberry competitor to market.

Apple has put a lot of thought into the interaction model and how spatial operating system UIs should work. Everyone will rip it off and make their products better for it. Apple will eventually catch up in the areas others excel because Apple did not prioritize or couldn't achieve within their other software/hardware requirements in 2023/2024.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.