Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Amazon is neither. It’s a book store masquerading as the old Sears catalogue.
But they do make hardware, make software and stream/make tv shows. They also sell books as you say, make rockets and who knows what else. The point is, the comment about Apple being delusional because they make hardware, software and running a tv service is naive.

jchurchill

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
Anyone even a little interested in VR must get a Quest 3. It's freaking amazing, even if it kind of hurts after a while. 1 hour is all I can stand. The hardware is fantastic quality for the price, and about $300 more will let you fill it up with more 4+ star apps than you have time to fully experience. $50 for prescription lenses are a must for the nearsighted like me. Watching a movie isn't ideal. Working with multiple giant monitors everyone should to try (free Immersed app is amazing) but nowhere near as good as physical monitors. Some use cases work great, and some don't. People need to try and experience to understand that while some things a great, it's not Ready Player One great. Very far from it.

I'm just glad Apple is joining in because there needs to be some competition to keep driving development forward. Otherwise Meta will eventually get tired of their money-losing hobby, and that's where it will end.

Last edited:

sunny5

Suspended
Jun 11, 2021
  • It's 7x less expensive than Vision Pro.
True.

• It does high-quality passthrough with big screens "just like Vision Pro."
Nah, totally wrong. Just like doesn't mean as good as. I tried both and Meta Quest 3 was not even close.

• Quest is a lot more comfortable - it's 120 grams less.
True. I hate to use AVP for more than 30 min.

• There are no wires that get in the way when you move around.
True.

• The field of view is wider and the screen is brighter.
True but cant say the screen is brighter.

• Vision Pro has motion blur when you move around. Quest is a lot crisper.
Half true only if you are using AVP at low light.

• Precision controllers are available, as is hand tracking, and Quest's hand tracking is more accurate.
True. One of the issue of AVP. This is the main reason why many VR games cant support VisionOS.

• Quest's immersive content library is a lot deeper.
Half true... Even Meta struggle with VR games anyway despite selling more than 20 million devices.

• You can watch YouTube or play Xbox.
Nope. It's just a matter of time.

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I hate this thing but man, Zuckerberg is so out of touch with…humankind.

If there is one thing I hate more than overpriced technology that is bug infested it is a company that turns people into commodities.
People have always been commodities.
Social media just markets them in a different way.

Reactions: AeroEd

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I bet Zuckerberg now regrets laying off all of his AR/VR people at Meta for the last few rounds of layoffs!

Reactions: Mescagnus

ChrisMacchio

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Holbrook, NY

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg today compared the Apple Vision Pro to the $500 Meta Quest 3 in an Instagram video, and provided several reasons why he thinks Meta's headset is better than Apple's.

meta-quest-3.jpg

According to Zuckerberg, the Quest 3 is better "for the vast majority of things that people use mixed reality for," and here are some of the things he said about the Meta Quest 3:
  • It's 7x less expensive than Vision Pro.
  • It does high-quality passthrough with big screens "just like Vision Pro."
  • Quest is a lot more comfortable - it's 120 grams less.
  • There are no wires that get in the way when you move around.
  • The field of view is wider and the screen is brighter.
  • Vision Pro has motion blur when you move around. Quest is a lot crisper.
  • Precision controllers are available, as is hand tracking, and Quest's hand tracking is more accurate.
  • Quest's immersive content library is a lot deeper.
  • You can watch YouTube or play Xbox.
Zuckerberg said that he was surprised at the "tradeoffs" that Apple had to make to provide a higher resolution screen than is offered by the Quest 3, sacrificing "comfort," "ergonomics," and more. He went on to explain that Apple is not always the leader in a new product category, and that he hopes Meta's devices will ultimately "win."The Meta Quest 3 launched back in October. It has two 2K LCD panels compared to the Apple Vision Pro's 4K microLED displays. It weighs 515 grams while the Vision Pro weighs 600 to 650 grams, and it does not have a separate battery pack. It uses Qualcomm's Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 chipset, has 8GB RAM, and is equipped with Touch Plus controllers.

Meta has produced several headsets so far, including the Oculus Quest, the Oculus Quest 2, the Quest 3, and the Quest Pro. Apple plans to continue producing headsets, and rumors suggest that the next-generation version will be much more affordable. When explaining the price of the Vision Pro, Apple CEO Tim Cook said that it was "tomorrow's technology today."

Article Link: Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg Says Quest 3 is Better Than Apple Vision Pro
Simply put…”Zuck the cuck” is delusional. I agree with those drawing parallels to Steve Ballmer’s iPhone predictions.

• Disagree
Reactions: AeroEd and mazz0

jamesz

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2024
hmmm comparing a Gen 1 to a Gen… 3?

Apple’s will get cheaper, lighter and better overall as time goes on I would think.

wouldn’t expect Marky to say anything less than that.
Do you expect him to compare the Vision Pro to 2019’s Quest? Or is a fairer comparison Vision Pro 3 against Quest 5?

rukia

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2021
I can understand the hubris. This is someone who has spent $40B+ and renamed his company to chase the metaverse unicorn only to be ridiculed by the public and blasted by shareholders. Apple comes out with a gen 1 product and gets mostly positive feedback with the expected first gen issues. You have celebrities showing off their Vision Pro and respected tech leaders like Sam Altman, Andrej Karpathy, and Palmer Luckey saying they are impressed. This is the type of reception that Quest never had despite investing enough money to fund a war in Ukraine. What else would you expect Zuck to say ?

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
Some Apple devices get cheaper and better over time. Remember Macbook Air? Apple TV? iPods? Or iPhone? Their first iteration is a horrible, clunky overpriced piece of gadget. But they get lighter, smaller, cheaper and actually more useful with each iteration.
Apple TV (literally a mac) original price: 299
Macbook air original price: 1799
Ipod original price: 399
Macbook original price: 1099
Apple watch original price: 349
Airpods original price: 149
Mac Pro original price:2499

So no, I don’t think the price is going down

Apple TV got smaller, but later bigger again.
Macbook air got smaller, but this generation looked thicker.
Ipod got smaller for some variants, and ipod touch was smaller.
Macbook got thinner, and thicker and bigger again.
Apple watch got thicker and bigger
Airpods got bigger
Mac Pro went small, and got bigger again.

Anytime an Apple device went smaller, it was dueing Jobs and Ive, almost all grew in size and/or weight after Cook. So no, Vision pro will not be significantly smaller or lighter.

Usefulness can be subjective, I won’t touch it

Last edited:

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
People have always been commodities.
Social media just markets them in a different way.

I disagree. In the Western world, a person’s value is often the result of their 1. effort, 2. physical and mental abilities and 3. their value to society. Have a skill that benefits society and are willing to work? The economy will reward that work. Yes, there are other factors to income but the point here is that the outcome, the work, the product, is the commodity. Economics is not based on who your dating or what your doing at night.

Social media is the opposite: Meta doesn’t care what you contribute to society. Meta’s sole interest is in collecting and harvesting information on people.

Be on welfare or a millionaire, to Meta you’re just a user. A user being used.

Last edited:

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
Better at harvesting user data for resale? Ok, Zuck wins.
You do realize how data harvesting actually works, correct? Do you actually believe that Facebook is the ONLY method/means of harvesting your data? Are you familiar with data brokers?

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
I disagree. In the Western world, a person’s value is often the result of their 1. effort, 2. physical and mental abilities and 3. their value to society. Have a skill that benefits society and are willing to work, the economy will reward that work. Yes, there are other factors to income but the point here is that the outcome, the work, the product, is the commodity. Economics is not based on who your dating or what your doing at night.

Social media is the opposite: Meta doesn’t care what you contribute to society. Meta’s sole interest is in collecting and harvesting information on people.

Be on welfare of a millionaire, to Meta you’re just a user. A user being used.
And Facebook is the ONLY harvester of your data?

Reactions: cardfan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.