Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChedNasad

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2020
I'm just shocked either company thinks this is a market worth investing in. I'd much rather have glasses with a heads up display and AR than VR goggles. Anytime I've tried VR it has made me feel weird and uncomfortable if used for anything longer than 30 minutes. (I've tried Quest 2 and 3 but not Vision Pro yet) I would wager as well that we will find eventually that it's pretty bad for the brain and eyes with longer term consistent use. For niche experiences on occasion though it's a cool technology

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
I sort of agree with him regarding "for the vast majority of things that people use mixed reality for" which is gaming and entertainment. If that's all you're interested in the Quest 3 is probably the better buy (and given the game selection at the moment, probably the better choice). The use case for an AVP is more about the things the Quest 3 isn't great for - productivity and "spatial computing" (however you want to define that) - i.e. tasks outside of entertainment. I think the AVP, particularly future iterations, will define AR/VR in way well beyond what meta has done to date.

Light_of_Consciousness

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2023
All the mindfulness and meditation in the world cannot get me to say anything nice about Zuck or his company. On second thought, he gave me a good laugh with the bit about fanboys getting upset when someone dares question Apple. Projection and total lack of self-awareness can be a hoot!

Harry Haller

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2023
I don't care who it is, but as soon as someone uses the term "Fanboys" they've lost me. Mr Zuckerberg, your version is going to suck.

Agree with the first sentence.
A juvenile ad hominem. He should know better.
The Quest 3 on the other hand seems like a good value for what it is.

Reactions: cardfan

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Only own a Mattel View-Master Virtual Reality Viewer. Actually worked pretty good and worked with Google VR app on iOS. Did see a screen door but your brain eventually blocked it out. Got it for $19.99 at Walmart.

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
He's really overselling. It can't play xbox, it can play xbox cloud. Which is not a real gaming experience
Incorrect. Virtual Desktop is $20. PCVR experience at 120fps. I have played every GamePass and Steam Game (Both Steam VR and Steam Flat games) on a theatre screen with 36ms latency on an AMD 5600X / 3090 setup. But yes, it is a $20 app you would need to purchase.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I have both, if the Apple Vision Pro was a PS5, Quest 3 would be PS3 level in most technical aspects.
Sure, but in this analogy, the PS5 has no games, but it can play emulated PS1 games, and maybe a couple of Kinect games (yes I realize Kinect was a Microsoft product)
I sort of agree with him regarding "for the vast majority of things that people use mixed reality for" which is gaming and entertainment.
That statement of his is kind of silly. A major reason the vast majority of VR/AR headset use is for gaming is because they haven't been good enough for other uses. And Zuck desperately wants the Quest to expand beyond gaming, but Meta is failing at and abandoning other categories (3D movies, realtime 3D animation, creative apps like Quill and Medium)

Last edited:

F1Fan

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2011
Northern Virginia
For being $3000 dollars cheaper, he's not wrong.
I have the Vision Pro - and I have to say, this was my thought when reading his statement. I don't think the question isn't whether the AVP is an incredible device and that the immersive experiences it can provide, the entertainment and productivity possibilities are exciting.

It's more a question of is it SO UNIQUELY capable at these things, that it warrants the premium over alternatives at a fraction of the cost? In other words, for 7x the price does it really provide an experience that is 7x superior to the Quest 3? Or is it more a matter of providing an experience that is 1.5 or 2x as good as the Quest but at 7x the cost?

I'm not really sure what the answer to this since I haven't used the Quest 3, but I'd be interested in a detailed comparison of the two.

sleven

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
I'm just shocked either company thinks this is a market worth investing in. I'd much rather have glasses with a heads up display and AR than VR goggles. Anytime I've tried VR it has made me feel weird and uncomfortable if used for anything longer than 30 minutes. (I've tried Quest 2 and 3 but not Vision Pro yet) I would wager as well that we will find eventually that it's pretty bad for the brain and eyes with longer term consistent use. For niche experiences on occasion though it's a cool technology
While I agree with you, I know I also caught myself saying “I can see our future looking like this,” after watching Ready Player One.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It’s cheaper for sure. I feel like quest 3 still need a few generations to go before the display quality is good enough.
Sounds like Apple is there, but have other kinks to work out, price being one of them.

Apple buys the displays for Vision off the shelf. They didn’t invent them. Meta could have (and still could) use the exact same screens in the Quest. It would just pump the price up some.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
While I agree with you, I know I also caught myself saying “I can see our future looking like this,” after watching Ready Player One.

Ready Player One depicts a bleak dystopia where people escape into virtual isolation as the only viable outlet available. Contrary to how some around here talk about it, the film is not aspirational. It’s meant as a warning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.