Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
He and his entire company need to be brought to their knees, they will never learn from little slaps on the wrist. Make it excruciatingly painful for everyone involved and bring in external compliance auditors who rotate annually, on Meta’s dime.
This company is just EVIL!

Reactions: sorgo †

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Hate to break the news to you but YouTube is also a bit sketchy.
I think everyone knows that.

I cut out a lot of social media including Twitter/Reddit as I had already ditched FB years ago but I can't ditch YouTube. There's really no alternative to it. I used to use a lot of Google services and I mean everything. I was balls deep in Google but now I just use YouTube. I ditched Gmail, Chrome, Drive, Google Search, Android. YouTube I will keep using unless you can recommend me a better video streaming platform.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
So Suck’s position is that the Stupids (us) are misguided about not wanting to put our personal data up for sale. I am shocked.

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
MacRumors uses 3rd party trackers. Face***k presumably has no need for 3rd party trackers on their own site.
I get what you're saying, they're all their own exclusively. U-Origin on FF lists a huge plethora of them that were effectively blocked w/out breaking the page. I just wonder why Safari's security feature globally issues them all a free pass?

• Wow

asparagus

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
Look, I am NOT a Facebook fan, let's start with that. However, I don't think this lawsuit will stick. I'm reading it that if you use the in-app browser, Facebook tracks you? and then if you continue to use that browser, inside Facebook, it continues to track you? I don't think there's a legal leg to stand on here. I could see if it they somehow got around it so they tracked you on Safari OUTSIDE Facebook, but...they aren't. Am I missing something huge here? I not defending FB, I just don't see the $$$.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Look, I am NOT a Facebook fan, let's start with that. However, I don't think this lawsuit will stick. I'm reading it that if you use the in-app browser, Facebook tracks you? and then if you continue to use that browser, inside Facebook, it continues to track you? I don't think there's a legal leg to stand on here. I could see if it they somehow got around it so they tracked you on Safari OUTSIDE Facebook, but...they aren't. Am I missing something huge here? I not defending FB, I just don't see the $$$.
I agree but a lot of people think because it opens a browser (even in app) that it's just as secure as a normal browser. Maybe that's what they are going on? It might not stick like you say but we should be going for Facebook at any opportunity.

Never trust in app browsers. There was some news on TikTok doing the same thing with their in app browser.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I still use Fb to keep my business page active and follow my classical music groups. I only use messenger for a family grandmother group and for my best friend who only uses messenger and scrolls the feed all day everyday like my sister-in-law. If I happen to click on a webpage I always click again to open in safari. Also I don't care if anyone tracks me or whatever there is no real privacy on the internet and I've been "online" since 1987 starting with PC Pursuit.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Wow, let your feelings be known! I'm not in love with meta, but the comments in this forum actually seem more vitriolic than anything you'd see on its platforms.
Maybe some of us really hate Facebook? They are a disgusting vile company and should be shut down.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
I still use Fb to keep my business page active and follow my classical music groups. I only use messenger for a family grandmother group and for my best friend who only uses messenger and scrolls the feed all day everyday like my sister-in-law. If I happen to click on a webpage I always click again to open in safari. Also I don't care if anyone tracks me or whatever there is no real privacy on the internet and I've been "online" since 1987 starting with PC Pursuit.
Keep making excuses if it makes you feel better.

I agree privacy on the internet is hard to keep but you can at least try keep some of it. One of the first steps to doing that should always be delete Facebook/Instagram/WhatsApp. It's actually quite easy to cut down how much they track you.

Google on the other hand...basically impossible to avoid them even if you don't use any of their services. I run Firefox, Duckduckgo, iCloud mail with my only google service being YouTube (which runs in a container tab in the browser separate from everything else) but I always see google trackers. Sadly it's a fact of modern internet life that they will track you no matter what.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Security researchers need to investigate deeply into the workings of Meta Pixel because if the javascript is recording users keystrokes and capturing everything they type, especially sentitive data such as usernames, passwords and credit card information from non-Meta websites and the results of the investigation is handed of to the EU, it could be the end of Meta because Europe is extremely sensitive to tech companies doing wrong and they could hit Meta with a multi billion fine if it is found Meta is covertly capturing usernames, passwords and credit card information of european citizens.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
Security researchers need to investigate deeply into the workings of Meta Pixel because if the javascript is recording users keystrokes and capturing everything they type, especially sentitive data such as usernames, passwords and credit card information from non-Meta websites and the results of the investigation is handed of to the EU, it could be the end of Meta because Europe is extremely sensitive to tech companies doing wrong and they could hit Meta with a multi billion fine if it is found Meta is covertly capturing usernames, passwords and credit card information of european citizens.
maybe Facebook will make good on their threat to leave Europe.

they think everyone will be like "oh no please stay!" but a lot of people will be thinking "don't threaten us with a good time"

i hope they leave Europe.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
More evidence Fakebook/Meta are socially destructive and do whatever they want in spite of the harm to their users.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Looks like I made the right decision. Yesterday I downloaded all my material from Facebook and left. My wife left it several months ago. I have now ditched everything except YouTube.
Social media is the Big Mac of the web. It tastes good at first. Within an hour of eating it, you feel like crap. Within 2 hours you’re rushing to the bathroom. Ingesting it has little nutritional value.

I’ve been off social media for 2 years now. My wife was amazed when I quit it. At first it was just for a month. Then I realized how much better my outlook was without it.

The the constant bickering about politics, the phony “look how good my life is” posts. Half the people that “friend” you are just snooping on you either because their gossip whores or are reporting back to someone else you wouldn’t friend about your life.

Terrible. I think more people are catching on to how horrible it is. Probably one of the reasons the stock is tanking and the ZuckerLizard is losing more money than the collective membership of Macrumors could comprehend having.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.