MGS 4 - June 12th!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gloss, May 26, 2008.

1. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Anyone else going to pick this up? I've never played any of the MGS games, really, and what I've seen of 4 looks like pure cheese, but I just ordered the Essential Collection to see what the hype's about.

Opinions, comments, warnings?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I liked the first MGS, didn't enjoy 2 or 3 so I'm not looking to 4. The gameplay didn't progress as much as it should have (IMO). 4 looks like the same again.

It's too windy outside today.

Be prepared for a mega cheesy story. Be prepared for cutscenes that last days on end. Neither of which are necessarily bad things. Just don't think because it's MGS and "mature" that its going to be a down-to-earth gritty realistic story. It's as fairy tale as Mario.

3. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

I'm hoping that since I'll be playing them in succession my expectations won't be influenced by the long wait between games.

Already am. I've seen my friend play bits of MGS3 and we were laughing at how awful the dialogue was. But I think at this point I'm willing to just let go and try and approach the game like I might have when I was in middle/high school - I think I've become too jaded.

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

just be prepared to look at your tv with a slightly puzzled look on your face quietly saying to yourself "what the **** was that all about...?" particularly in MGS 2 which goes right off the deep end a few times.

Just pay close attention to what is going on, specifically in 2 since it is the prequel to what is going on in MGS 4. And get a comfy chair since some cut scenes are up to 45 minutes long. (MGS 1 takes around 6 hours or so to beat, but if you skip all the cut scenes people do it in less than 2 hours I believe)

OH and soak in the awesomeness that is Liquid Snakes voice delivering some cheez wiz dialogue :D

5. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

Awesome. I'll be playing it with a friend, so I'll have someone to laugh at it with, which is always a plus.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Be prepared to spend a whole weekend on the PS3 being sucked alive by MGS4.

Check out Gametrailers MGS retrospective before diving into MGS4. I'm guessing the story in 4 will be just as wild as in 2 but its all good....its still one of the best story in gaming.

Be prepared to stare at snake's old arse in the octocamo for hours.

Bless

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I haven't owned any of the other games but I played them a bit and they were good. I preordered the game just a few days before the online beta started and that was great! It actually caused me to stop playing CoD for a week. I'm looking forward to this (and it comes out the day after final exams end ;).

8. capoeirista macrumors 6502

I liked the first one even though Snake is always surprised when he sees a surveillance camera (A camera? In a high security military complex? WTF?:p)

The second one is nuts. I found the story very confusing. Too many cutscenes (a 45minutes cutscene?). I never beat European Extreme difficulty.

The third one I liked a great deal. 'The End' battle was one of my favourites (don't worry not a spoiler). Camo system sucked a bit though.

This is certainly one of my favourite games series ever, regardless of the faults (and there really are quite a few). There's so many little secret things and in-jokes...

I might have to buy a PS3 for MGS4 because it looks great. I did read an article though that said there are 90 minutes of cut scenes! Whether that's a single 90 minute epic or 90 minutes total I can't remember. Apparently you can pause/skip them though (phew).

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I will get it.... as I bought most of the others, but have struggled to enjoy any of them. But if I don't buy it, I'll somehow feel I'm missing out... :rolleyes::p;):D

(just be prepared for your moody MRU review to follow)

10. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

I cannot wait for this game. By far, my most anticipated game this year (Yep, much more than Smash Bros. Brawl was).

I absolutely loved MGS2. I really enjoyed MGS3. MGS1 was okay.

11. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Did anyone here try the MGO beta? It was great, a chance to play as old snake and get used to the controls. I love the new camo :D.

12. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I love Metal Gear Solid games, yes the story is "cheesy" but I still enjoyed it a lot and the cutscenes were pretty awesome I thought though there were a LOT of them.

I don't see why you thought MGS3 was a big step forward in gameplay, sure MGS1 and MGS2 were pretty similar but MGS3 was kind of a completely different game (it kind of made me not like it as much in the beginning).

I don't have a next-gen console yet but GTAIV and MGS4 might just be enough to make me buy a PS3.

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Nah I never got the chance, the update never downloaded and by the time it allowed me too get further than an error message it told me the beta was over :rolleyes: typical :eek:

Read that this game has a hell of a lot of LONG cutscenes.

14. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

It's not even out yet and already!

[​IMG]
    "Hate hate hate hate hate"

;)

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

could be worse .. could be "i don't care in the slightest way about it" like i feel ;)

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^sucks for you....but I'm sure there are millions that feel the same way.

I'm expecting some good and long cut-scenes(at least they got VC right) grand boss battles and cheesy snake lines. I really hope they didn't cut the transmission radio snake uses to get intel...I always liked those bits.

I'm kinda hoping they don't kill snake off and just let him ride off in the sunset.

Bless

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess so .. i simply never got what was so great/special about it even after playing it (just like devil may cry series)

18. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Totally understandable, different strokes for different people, no need to act tough and crap on the excitement of others though ;)

19. gloss thread starter macrumors 601

gloss

After a sharp learning curve (I'm not good at this stealth-but-no-killing bit) I started to get a hang of the first MGS last night. Got about 3 hours in, stopped at the Psycho Mantis fight, which was pretty cute. Enjoying it, for all its cheesiness. I do admire the cinematic presentation, though - very ahead of its time.

20. capoeirista macrumors 6502

The Psycho Mantis battle is awesome. It took me an age to figure out... But once I did, wow.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I loved the fourth wall breaking in MGS1. And the story was almost perfect to boot, shame I didn't like 2 and 3 theres probably some (to some people) more quality gaming there :eek:

22. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Fixed it for you:D

So the reviews are slowly rolling out and as expected its getting 10s and one reviewer took it down this road:

"MGS4 is one of the greatest games of our time"....indeed, I'll be the judge of that june 12th but I'm still excited about the game I've been in it from 1st.

Bless

23. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I'm excited about it too. I may just have to buy it on launch day.

24. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Two more weeks. Absolutely cannot wait. The biggest game of the year! Period. End of story. Undisputed. Deal with it! :D:D:D

25. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So people were critical of Haze's review from IGN until most of the other press pretty much slammed it too. But how things change in the space of a week, as IGN UK post their review of MGS4 ( I wonder how many fanboys are going to be moaning at the score this time? ) :)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/877/877611p1.html

Nice to see the PS3 getting a game it deserves for once. :)