Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
For the pro market Windows is far ahead of MacOS. Apple's reliance on their ancient and absurdly slow OpenGL driver, as well as shipping slow mobile GPUs in desktops gives Windows desktops a gigantic performance advantage. Plus Windows has DX12 and Vulkan, neither of which Apple will.

Apple doesn't care for OpenGL. Metal is the way forward.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Cook is to blame for Apple stagnation under him. But now what will he do with superior competition?
He needs to transition from managing to leading, and that I believe is not is strong suit, so I think like Microsoft under Ballmer he did ok for a period of time, but not so much being quick to respond to changing conditions.

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
Microsoft: Desktop - Laptop - Tablet(s) - Multimedia Device (TV, Gaming), Music, Store, Cloud (way beyond anything Apple has even remotely going)

I'd say the ecosystem is exactly where they're the most competitive. Especially cloud services and entertainment.

uups. i forgot. microsoft music, zune, vc1. sorry!

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
He needs to transition from managing to leading, and that I believe is not is strong suit, so I think like Microsoft under Ballmer he did ok for a period of time, but not so much being quick to respond to changing conditions.
He's not agile(tm) enough :p

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I like Windows. If only it didn't bog down after a year. And the settings were in one spot. And I didn't need to manage security as frequently.

I'm several years in on my mac without a ground up installation and it's fine.

Reactions: ErikGrim

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
When Windows 7 won't be supported any longer either Microsoft will have start selling you Enterprise versions and/or all American lawyers will switch to Ubuntu by necessity (I would almost like to see that) :)

Maybe, maybe not, I could see the Law Society and State Bars responding relatively quickly if that were to happen. But its the government, I doubt it, after the mess that was Terra View, I doubt any government will attempt to change it.

More likely, I think the ABA, CBA, State Bars and Provincial Law Societies, along with similar governing bodies will force Microsoft to resolve the problem. Like an affordable, non-listening, version of Windows 10.

nihm

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
And the settings were in one spot.

This is really the one spot (and maybe, in certain scenarios, networking) where Windows really trails Mac. They never fail to find new ways to fail at streamlining settings while maintaining legacy support for both power users and sys admins.

cars

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
your moms house
The Surface Studio is one gorgeous computer, its very apple like in its elegant lines and function. My iMac with the giant bezels and large chin feels so old and outdated.

Microsoft is swinging for the fences and its shows, where as I feel Apple is complacent - I hope at least I'm wrong and tomorrow's event will surprise me
Unfortunately, today was underwhelming.

Reactions: Mad Pierre

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Today's Apple event was embarassing compared to yesterday's Microsoft event. Microsoft became Apple in regards to innovation and UI design with Surface Studio while Apple became an early 2000 PC gimmick manufacturer with Tool bar (more fitting name). Just add a touchscreen instead of tiny gimmicks.

Reactions: Hamado

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Today's Apple event was embarassing compared to yesterday's Microsoft event. Microsoft became Apple in regards to innovation and UI design with Surface Studio while Apple became an early 2000 PC gimmick manufacturer with Tool bar (more fitting name). Just add a touchscreen instead of tiny gimmicks.

You're missing the point. Back in 2011 when Windows 8 laptops had touch screens they were pointless because there was no benefit. Now with Windows 10, Windows Ink and new devices like Surface Studio you can see the point of touch-screen on a desktop PC. It's not a gimmick anymore. Apple wants people to believe it's still 2011.

Reactions: Hamado

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Night and day difference, wasn't it. Yesterday we saw true innovation, today, emojis.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
The UI, crashes, freezes but most importantly VIRUS/TROJAN.

The UI: That is suggestive.

But in regards to the rest. I'm not trying to "disprove" you, just going off my own experiences:

Crashes: I never had one crash using Windows 7. I did during my XP days (BSOD) maybe twice or so. I also had a similar about of crashes on my Power Mac G5.

Freezes: Never had a freeze on Windows 7 (that I could remember at least).

Malware: Never had a virus/malware in four years under Windows 7 while using AVG and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. I did have a few "false positives" from some websites, but based on a quick Google search, they were most likely false positives.

You obviously seemed to have a different experience as I did using recent operating systems. :)

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
The UI: That is suggestive.

But in regards to the rest. I'm not trying to "disprove" you, just going off my own experiences:

Crashes: I never had one crash using Windows 7. I did during my XP days (BSOD) maybe twice or so. I also had a similar about of crashes on my Power Mac G5.

Freezes: Never had a freeze on Windows 7 (that I could remember at least).

Malware: Never had a virus/malware in four years under Windows 7 while using AVG and MalwareBytes AntiMalware. I did have a few "false positives" from some websites, but based on a quick Google search, they were most likely false positives.

You obviously seemed to have a different experience as I did using recent operating systems. :)

Browsing pron always gives people viruses and then they cry with sea of tears.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Browsing pron always gives people viruses and then they cry with sea of tears.

Well if you doing things you probably should be doing, don't be surprised if you catch something. You can avoid malware by having smart computing practices.
[doublepost=1477596664][/doublepost]
Everyone is saying it looks great, but all I see is a Microsoft Panini Press.

51V3QPKFHML._SX355_.jpg
People see things differently.

4f5b6f55d7364f9927ef0677d61b4f8a.jpg

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
Well if you doing things you probably should be doing, don't be surprised if you catch something. You can avoid malware by having smart computing practices.

Which is why I work on Windows since XP as well as OSX and never had issues on any of them.
They are both amazing systems given what you can do using them.
And mostly for PRO consumers you will always have more plugins and 3rd party stuff that goes along with software on Win than with OSX. Been that way forever and surely it is not changing.
It's just people are so blind that they believe that not having apple logo means crap.

Einstein said that two things are certain:
Infinite human stupidity and universe... though he isn't so sure about the universe.

villicodelirant

Suspended
Aug 3, 2011
ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US.
Or if you prefer Resistance is futile!
MS (Windows), the Borg of the IT world.
Which is exactly why I despise them more and more.

I'm sorry, I didn't read through all the article (I know, I know, but: boring).
How is the licensing plan in question... immoral or evil?
[doublepost=1477599325][/doublepost]
More likely, I think the ABA, CBA, State Bars and Provincial Law Societies, along with similar governing bodies will force Microsoft to resolve the problem. Like an affordable, non-listening, version of Windows 10.

:)

Trusteft

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2014
I'm sorry, I didn't read through all the article (I know, I know, but: boring).
How is the licensing plan in question... immoral or evil?
[doublepost=1477599325][/doublepost]

:)

It's not immoral or evil. The Borg were not either.
They are who they are.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
That Surface Book looks alot more enticing. I only been on Mac for one week and Windows is calling me back.

Thank you, Apple.

LOL @ $1,500 for entry-level!

Reactions: trifid
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.