Microsoft Kinect Is Blowing Away iPad Sales ...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by wirelessmacuser, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wirelessmacuser, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010
  2. koollectablz macrumors 6502

I hear bread and milk are doing pretty well compared to the iPad as well.

3. MrMcD macrumors newbie

Next up: Red Nintendo Wii is blowing away Hello Kitty toaster sales...

4. beaner454 macrumors regular

While I'm not going to discount the potential success of the Kinect, I seriously doubt it will have the ability to sell the numbers the iPad has continued to sell month in and month out. A lot of the sales right now are due to Black Friday & the existing 360 install base who thought it'd be fun to try it out since it's only $150 bucks.

But here's hoping that it does gain some major traction, I think it has great possibilities for gaming if some of the more innovative developers and game producers get behind it. I'd love to see some creativity beyond dance, exercise, & party games.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since when are they competing. The competition to the iPad is other tablets, not the Kinect.

6. Maziar macrumors 6502

lol at this thread.
    Didn't know its possible to compare kinect and tablets :D

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Both are consumer entertainment devices. Thats what the link is. The iPad was the fastest selling, now i guess it isn't. The same way that a DVD player and iPad aren't the same. But yet the iPad had a faster adoption rate

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

:D

and let us not forget how well Coca Cola sells compared to the iPad.

9. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I bought kinect and I am trying to figure out how the ipad compares.
    Its like comparing :apple: to oranges

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's nice to see someone on here who actually reads with their eyes open. ;)

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

"The MIT Media Lab hacks the Kinect to browse the web with it."

One of these things is not like the other.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

I am sure if the ipad was introduced in November, right before the shopping season, it would have sold faster than it did.
    To me two completely different target audiences and marketing.

ipad = productivity/entertainment
    xbox = entertainment

this time of season any new type of gaming hardware flies off the shelves.

I am sure in the April/May time frame when the ipad 2.0 is introduced it will sell more units in 25 days than the kinects did.

Glad to see the strong interest in Xbox, plus the Kinect is pretty entertaining.
    I am hoping for an air guitar game, good for those drinking nights :D

13. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

How can you possibly compare a gaming console add-on to the iPad???

Yeah it may be selling well but it's hardly going to 'stomp' on the competition when it's in a completely different genre.

14. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

that author should be shot! :p
    it's like saying bananas outsell ipads 10x to 1. haha

15. sotorious macrumors 6502a

Just a question why do people get so damn defensive.

16. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why do people get so damned passive-aggressive.

Typical school bully: "You just don't have a sense of humor".
    Typical troll: "Why are you getting so defensive."

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Remember just last month when we had this story.

It's funny that no one seemed to complain that the iPad was being classed as a consumer electronics product and having it's initial sales figures compared with the humble DVD player.

The Kinect is classed in the same consumer electronics product category.

18. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

I don't remember the iPad being the fastest selling entertainment device ever. I'm curious to know what is though. The Wii in its prime surely holds that title? If so, compare it to the Wii. iPad was impressive because it's a 'new market segment.'

19. sotorious macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry you see it that way. It was just a fun fact. If you don't like it being compared to the ipad move on. I understand the love for the ipad here, but the way some of you react is almost like you have a little buyers remorse.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It was officially the fastest selling electronic device ever (link here). I suspect the Wii was constrained by low production volumes

21. bpaluzzi macrumors 6502a

bpaluzzi

Even going down the "fastest selling electronics device" path, you realize that the Kinect is an ACCESORY, right? It's not a device. It's an add-on. An add-on to an existing product with deep market penetration.

Totally bogus comparison.

22. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Agreed. Let's compare a $150 add-on to a $500-$800 tablet computer. Yeah, that's meaningful. I wonder how many iPod chargers have been sold? That's about as useful a comparison.

23. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

heh, next month Best Buy will have a sale. Buy a Kinect, get 4 Windows Phones free!

24. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that. I missed that article. So they don't count phones as consumer electronic devices? I remember reading that iPhone 4 sold around 1.5 million units on release day alone.

25. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Except the analysis in the article is woefully poor.

The iPad was massively supply constrained for the first several months of its life and sold 2 million devices just about as quickly as they could be made. The Kiinect, while it's seen a little constraint for the stand alone units, is relatively easy to find.

The iPad was only available in the US for the first two months of its life and then expanded to a further 9 countries (there was an overlap of about five days I believe). The Kinect has had a much wider launch.

The iPad was going into a totally new market, the Kinect is selling into the established (and huge) gaming market with a user base of tens of millions of Xbox 360's availble.

There's a whole host of other issues too (the christmas market versus launching in April chief amongst them) but the first two are the key ones. Yes, you could argue they're both consumer devices but they're playing in such vastly different markets it's almost impossible to make a direct comparison. Frankly I'd say that Kinect only selling 2x the units of the iPad at launch with FAR better conditions to sell speaks volumes about just how well the iPad has done since launch rather than t'other way round.

On top of that of course there's another issue where the OP said 'the sleeping giant awakens to stomp on the competition' where, of course, the iPad and Kinect don't compete. At all. Well, outside of ludicrous Analyst rubbish like 'best selling gadget ev3r' of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.