Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickday

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Manchester, UK
Anybody having troubles getting it to add your O365 account? I keep getting authentication failed when adding the account.

I was on an "O365 Business" account, but then noticed here that only "O365 Business Premium" has what they call "business-class email" which the footnote says offers you access through the Outlook app - does anybody know for sure if you really do need the Premium account for Outlook access? The non-premium account works fine in Mail.app when set up as an exchange account.

Either way the Premium account didn't work, still getting the same error...

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I've been turned off from Mac Office for years. Microsoft's continuous back-dooring Mac customers making them think they are getting the same version as the Windows version since they were charging the same price, only to see that the Mac version was dumbed down with poor performance.

It's bad enough for years "Outlook" for Mac was called Entourage. :roll eyes:
It wasn't until they received bad press, lost sales and realized that they were losing money to people bootlegging the Windows version that they decided to finally cater to the Mac crowd properly. I'm still not convinced this version of Outlook equals the Windows version. I'll pass. Mail.App works perfectly for business flow.

Same. I've been on Mail and iCal and it works well with Exchange. Yosemite has given me some fits, but it seems to be leveling off. I'm sure by the next update it'll be solid.

nickday

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Manchester, UK
Anybody having troubles getting it to add your O365 account? I keep getting authentication failed when adding the account.

I was on an "O365 Business" account, but then noticed here that only "O365 Business Premium" has what they call "business-class email" which the footnote says offers you access through the Outlook app - does anybody know for sure if you really do need the Premium account for Outlook access? The non-premium account works fine in Mail.app when set up as an exchange account.

Either way the Premium account didn't work, still getting the same error...

And just as I posted it started working, must have taken a few mins for my account to upgrade.

blue22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
taking too damn long...

A 2nd half release of 2015?! That's what Microsoft said in 2013 for this year. Lame. :rolleyes:

mCIIVkj.jpg

compuguy1088

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
In the Sub-Basement of Solitude
You are comparing Apples to Oranges. The real strength of outlook is when it's linked to a Microsoft Exchange Server. The only competitor of Outlook/ Exchange Server is Lotus Notes / Domino, certainly not 'Thunderbird'. Now that's something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies, IBM should just stop

Vmware has a product that competes with both as well. Current employer is transitioning away from Lotus Notes to Office 365 (but keeping Sametime...UGH!).

psik

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
It lacks about 90% of the features of the windows version. For instance, you can't even load locally stored onenote files. It is just a light version to compete with evernote, not a full office program like in windows.

lacking ability to draw shapes or doodling is a big problem itself..let alone that it has some bugs

lowepg

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2014
About damn time...

PowerPoint for Mac is getting dated and Keynote just plain sucks.

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
The battery on my 13" rMPB is getting shot with this new Outlook app. Even says under the battery icon Outlook.app is using significant energy. At 45% battery I had less than 2hrs left of battery time! I can feel the computer is kind of warm, too.

Also, I cannot connect my Business Essentials O365 account to the Mac mail.app. Says the server is not responding. I tried my wife's account (same plan and under the same account) and hers works fine.

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
The battery on my 13" rMPB is getting shot with this new Outlook app. Even says under the battery icon Outlook.app is using significant energy. At 45% battery I had less than 2hrs left of battery time! I can feel the computer is kind of warm, too.

Perhaps its the first run and it is downloading/databasing messages? Give it a bit and check again.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
365 only? Why is MS begging companies to move away from their enterprise software?

Also, you should note that it's for Outlook 365 subscribers only. While my company uses Office 365, we have our own internal Exchange servers, so the new Outlook is useless as it won't activate.

Wtf? We seriously can't use the new outlook if we work for a big corp that has their own exchange servers??

THIS IS ABSURD

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Outlook.com accounts are IMAP only. Disappointed they are not using active sync, as they do in the Windows version.

Well, yes and no... :)

When mine was installed today it showed the account as IMAP but was getting the mail via the pop server. Which meant no IMAP folders. I manually changed it to the right server and all was good.

toni83

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Wtf? We seriously can't use the new outlook if we work for a big corp that has their own exchange servers??

THIS IS ABSURD

If your company has an Office 365 subscription, you can activate Outlook with that subscription. Once you're activated, you can use Outlook with your own Exchange server.

angeloweb

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Needs OSX 10.9.3

Am I the first who's stuck in Lion that's tried installing? Have to wait for my next iMac I guess.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Roll on Word for Mac 2015! Seriously needed by students everywhere lol.

what features do students nowadays use on word?
at work we're still on office 2010...... at home office 2011 (mac)....

and i dont find any limitations....

in fact i dont really know the difference between 2007 and 2010...

Zeos

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2008
Just installed. Looks and works great. Looking forward to the whole suite. Maybe now I won't have to open Windows under Parallels so often.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
final release coming in the second half of the year

FFS delayed by a whole year? Because of other priorities? You're a ****ing piece of **** Microsoft.

Certainly won't be renewing my annual Office 365 subscription if they're only going to update it every 5 years.

Codestud

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
I've just upgraded to the new Outlook and I like the visual refresh, but it doesn't really seem to add any significant new functionality, as far as I can see. I was hoping for something that was functionally closer to the Windows version.

Also disappointed about waiting another 12 months for the rest of the apps. I thought that all the main work would have been done along with the iPad release and doing the Mac version would not take so much time after that. Obviously not.

Still, I live half and half between Mac and Windows, and in the corporate environment, Outlook is still king so I still really need it and I will still use it.

Was hoping for something better though.

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
where is the data file for Outlook 2015...and can I delete the data from my 2011 Mac app in documents/MicrosoftUserdata/ ?

stuarthobbs

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Nope, this doesn't work.

Loaded the update, followed the instructions to remove the previous version. Running a clean install of Yosemite. No logical reason why it doesn't work. Feels like a rushed release to me!

Attachments

• Outlook Failure.png
    Outlook Failure.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 120
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.