Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Roll on Word for Mac 2015! Seriously needed by students everywhere lol.

For sure, 2011 is ooooooold!!! If I remember rightly, Office 2011 was announced in 2006 and was the first Intel version of Office (for Mac).

Regardless of whether I use Office 2011 or Pages 5.5, I usually have issues when transferring my law assignments over to Office for Windows. Law assignments (using AGLC3 referencing, which is pretty common in Australia) use footnotes heavily.

It's really annoying because I'll make a document in Office 2011 and have to write 'Ibid' to indicate that one footnote is the same as the one above it. Problem? The formatting changes on Windows and Ibids end up being the first footnote for pages, so lecturers say 'THIS IS REALLY AMATEUR MAN!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE AN IBID AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR FOOTNOTES BECAUSE YOU'RE SAYING OOOOH SAME AS ABOVE, AND THERE'S NOTHING ABOVE!!! IF YOU'RE GONNA GO FUDGING FOOTNOTES THEN AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT YOU FOOL!!!'

After walking away from an angry law lecturer who's damn good at berating people and has 30+ experience interrogating witnesses (*almost crying*) I'll open up the file on my Mac and say 'but it's correct!!! I spent HOURS getting my referencing correct!!' What I do now is write my docs in Mac Office (because it's more accurate than Pages when converting over... often has no issues) then I go into my uni's library the night that the assignment's due and edit it in the library (using THEIR version of Windows so that there can't be any issues). Works, but FFS M$... it's clunky as hell!!

DamoTheBrave

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2011
Nope

The only applications that crash on my MacBook are made by Microsoft. I'm not going to pollute it with more of their ****. The whole point (for me) is to be in an MS free zone.

iWork does most of what I need but I'm still using xls instead of numbers and iWork does need a few more feature updates to turn it into the productivity suite it once was.
When Apple have finally got it back up to speed im uninstalling Office in a flash.

rsunder

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
Good that Microsoft has issues an update for Outlook for Mac. I am eager to try. But the real issue is did they come up with a fix for all the time I have to re-enter my password. If this does not fix, I am about ready to give up on 365.

Don Barar

Hi Don, I am a Program Manager for Mac Outlook. Password re-try issue should be fixed but if you do run into an issue please do report it here: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/153.aspx. Thanks!

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
meh,
seems just like 2011 in new skin -but its still 32-bit, and it installs a background service (Office365ServiceV2) that's also 32-bit...

I was hoping for a background push service so we wouldn't have to have outlook running all the time. Not sure what that service does, it not related to mail retrieval.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Does it support caldav, carddav and multiple exchange accounts like Apple mail and the rest of the apps like contacts, reminders, calendar etc?

That's why most of my Mac business clients use office 365 with office 2011 with the excellent exchange online mailboxes but use the native Mac applications cos outlook 2011 doesn't hack it. Hopefully this new version will change that.

Last edited:

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
For sure, 2011 is ooooooold!!! If I remember rightly, Office 2011 was announced in 2006 and was the first Intel version of Office (for Mac).

Regardless of whether I use Office 2011 or Pages 5.5, I usually have issues when transferring my law assignments over to Office for Windows. Law assignments (using AGLC3 referencing, which is pretty common in Australia) use footnotes heavily.

It's really annoying because I'll make a document in Office 2011 and have to write 'Ibid' to indicate that one footnote is the same as the one above it. Problem? The formatting changes on Windows and Ibids end up being the first footnote for pages, so lecturers say 'THIS IS REALLY AMATEUR MAN!!! YOU CAN'T HAVE AN IBID AT THE BEGINNING OF YOUR FOOTNOTES BECAUSE YOU'RE SAYING OOOOH SAME AS ABOVE, AND THERE'S NOTHING ABOVE!!! IF YOU'RE GONNA GO FUDGING FOOTNOTES THEN AT LEAST GET IT RIGHT YOU FOOL!!!'

After walking away from an angry law lecturer who's damn good at berating people and has 30+ experience interrogating witnesses (*almost crying*) I'll open up the file on my Mac and say 'but it's correct!!! I spent HOURS getting my referencing correct!!' What I do now is write my docs in Mac Office (because it's more accurate than Pages when converting over... often has no issues) then I go into my uni's library the night that the assignment's due and edit it in the library (using THEIR version of Windows so that there can't be any issues). Works, but FFS M$... it's clunky as hell!!

Convert to pdf?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Oh what a bummer I need Office 365 for this :( may have to take a look at it's costs..

Most small businesses and families I deal with I might allegedly advise them to subscribe to 365 home which gives you 5 seats, windows or Mac. First year discounted by 20% by buying it off Amazon.

I personally think for the 5 seats, having the latest version is a great deal. Their exchange online mailboxes are superb, I have clients with a Macintosh in the office syncing all their jobs via their mailboxes to the iPhone and iPads they have on the road.

Though I'm one of the tiny minority of pros in my game that rate both Apple and Microsoft for what they are good at regardless of stereotypes!

Just remember if you want an exchange online mailbox use a different email to sign up than 365 home, or better still another person ;)

Last edited:

Jeff Flowerday

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
Calgary, AB
Most small businesses and families I deal with I might allegedly advise them to subscribe to 365 home which gives you 5 seats, windows or Mac. First year discounted by 20% by buying it off Amazon.

I personally think for the 5 seats, having the latest version is a great deal. Their exchange online mailboxes are superb, I have clients with a Macintosh in the office syncing all their jobs via their mailboxes to the iPhone and iPads they have on the road.

Though I'm one of the tiny minority of pros in my game that rate both Apple and Microsoft for what they are good at regardless of stereotypes!

Just remember if you want an exchange online mailbox use a different email to sign up than 365 home, or better still another person ;)

Don't forget unlimited Onedrive storage for those 5 seats as well.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
It's about time! I'm so excited. Work uses Exchange to it's fullest extent, so it's nice to have a similar client on my laptop. And Outlook 2011 was so so so ******. It was only second-worst to Excel 2011, which can't even open simple spreadsheets without lagging.

Next up: OneDrive updates (so it can actually sync the 200GB of files I want to put on it without murdering my battery life, and so I can uninstall Dropbox), Office 2015 that is actually as full-featured as Office 2013, and a no-caps hack for the programs ;0

Thanks for free 365 license, work! :)

----------

I like having eggs in different baskets - most use Dropbox :D

I hate that Dropbox has the best applications and website, but that I have to pay for their storage so I can mirror my Home folder to it with aliases. Why can't I have free but awesome? :(

I suppose that's the way life goes though (as I type on my Macbook Air)

----------

UGH. Just installed, and it can't go full screen. Oh well. I can still use it with spaces if I create another Desktop, but the auto-switching capabilities aren't quite the same. I don't know how they forgot such a huge Mac feature. What did they even assign the green button for?

Last edited:

denno

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2010
Did anyone have a problem with the import step?

I have the standalone version of Office for Mac 2011 installed. I downloaded Outlook 2015 from Office 365 and when it gets to the import step it shows "no data found" when I select import Outlook 2011 data on this computer. I manually selected the Microsoft User Data folder and I get "the data does not exist in the selected location."

I then tried installing Office for Mac 2011 from Office 365 but I get the same problem.

Called MS Support but they were no help. Any other ideas?

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
It's about time! I'm so excited. Work uses Exchange to it's fullest extent, so it's nice to have a similar client on my laptop. And Outlook 2011 was so so so ******. It was only second-worst to Excel 2011, which can't even open simple spreadsheets without lagging.

Next up: OneDrive updates (so it can actually sync the 200GB of files I want to put on it without murdering my battery life, and so I can uninstall Dropbox), Office 2015 that is actually as full-featured as Office 2013, and a no-caps hack for the programs ;0

Thanks for free 365 license, work! :)

----------

I hate that Dropbox has the best applications and website, but that I have to pay for their storage so I can mirror my Home folder to it with aliases. Why can't I have free but awesome? :(

I suppose that's the way life goes though (as I type on my Macbook Air)

----------

UGH. Just installed, and it can't go full screen, so I can't use it with Spaces and multitask nearly as effectively on my Air. How did they forget to add that feature?

My Dropbox was first a 2gb but lots of referrals later and installing the carousel app on my iPhone and its now a paltry 23.5gb :D

Like with any .0 release thank goodness my clients can be guinea pigs and not my setups, plus the stock OS X apps work superb with the exchange boxes anyway so unless it knocks them out the park why bother to switch to outlook anyway?

They use the 365 on Mac for the other apps anyway as the iWork apps don't cut it compared to the real thing with compatibility, despite some nagging issues especially with excel..

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
Click on sign in and it throws an error message saying site cannot be reached. I can easily sign into 365 online… the app seems buggy.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
More issues I've noticed that I can't believe they didn't include:

1) They ask if you want Exchange to be your default calendar program, but it doesn't support Google Calendars or iCloud Calendar from what I can tell 9please correct me if I'm wrong!)

2) The menus still lag like they did in the 2011 programs. How hard can it be to make smooth animations on a new program?

3) Exchange tasks did not sync correctly. Many tasks are missing or are tripled.

1 and 3 preclude me from using Outlook as my primary client for anything but my office's mail and calendar, which is a shame. I would like to have one program to use. But I'll take this update over the nothing from before.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!

Oooh thanks for the tips buddy, I recently started using Onedrive, it is great you get unlimited storage space included in the price.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I actually have been doing this for a few years. I love having everything into one inbox and I of course mail out from other (work) email addresses.

Never ran into issues? I'm a consultant, so I have an email box for every client. I just wonder if signatures are an issue. Also, when I work locally on some box (in a VM), i'm scared to have other emails visible on that comp.

----------

Looks better than Apple Mail.

I was going to write.. "no", but then saw your signature. In which case, yes... for you...

d33v10u5

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
No fullscreen, multiple domain support

I actually don't mind the re-skin...

However, no full screen mode??????????? Was the first thing I tried to do!

Also, I use a little "hack" so I can send out email from a couple of different domains (create a POP account with useable Outgoing details but not working incoming details). However, Microsoft have removed the ability to edit the Schedules (for Send/Receive All etc). So clicking the Send/Receive button results in an error (since I don't want the POP account to actually work and pull in mail).

In Accounts > Advanced it is possible to disable the automatic send/receive schedule for this account (this is new...well in a new place anyway) but not possible to prevent the Send/Receive button from working. Make sense?

Lastly, the sync'd categories are nice and I'll have a few clients that will be glad that's included.

Last edited:

digitalfx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
Search is 1000% more useful than Outlook 2011. In Outlook 2011 if I searched my mail for a specific name it was extremely slow and populated oldest first...so you had to wait on the newest emails as they filled the pane. Pretty much dreaded searching for past emails.
2015 gives instant results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.