MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

In a rather open acknowledgement of Apple's recent gains in both marketshare and mindshare, Microsoft has posted a PC vs. Mac section on their Windows 7 website.
PCs are designed for work and play, with features you need to get things done on the job or at school and have fun at home or on the go. From easily sharing Microsoft Office documents to watching HDTV and Blu-ray movies, PCs help you do it all.
This isn't the first time that Microsoft has acknowledged Apple's directly in their marketing materials. Microsoft also kicked off a $300 million ad campaign in 2008 centered around the phrase "I'm a PC" in direct response to Apple's "Get a Mac" ads.

Earlier today we reported that Apple was the most popular notebook brand amongst U.S. college students.

Article Link: Microsoft Posts 'PC vs. Mac' Section to Windows 7 Website

RT2020

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2010
Microsoft, for all their faults is working very hard on Windows.... Windows 8. If windows Mobile 7 is any indicator, I predict a slick and sexy new UI to go with the stability and flexibility Windows 7 already has.

What's Apple doing on the OSX platform?
Why not even a mention of OSX at WWDC?
Why all this hate from Steve Jobs for computers or as he calls them, "Trucks"?
Why did apple get rid of their 'Get a mac' campaign and replace it with...NOTHING?
Surely not everyone at Apple is working on the ipad and iphone?

You're way ahead for now Apple... but I wouldn't rest on your laurels.

Comment

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I just love how one of Microsoft's main arguments against Macs is that "Macs only come in white or silver."

WTF!?

-Don

Comment

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I wonder how many people who supported Apple's death grip video will also support this? I mean they're both sites full of filthy lies but fans will be fans.

The Choice section is laughable too. Can't you get bluray drives for macs, they're just not natively supported nor internal? I've got my iMac as a PVR thanks to EyeTV. New Macs have built in SD card readers but anyone can connect a USB card reader (as I've been using on my Mac since 2004).

Comment

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
Microsoft...

Unix or VMS based plox and ho well, why not give those "redmondian" heads some use and make something better?
A free sdk on the same level of Xcode.
No backdoors and no activations.
Replace that wack-a-mole un-polite customer support for something functional.

Comment

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
It's kind of funny they even bothered. Microsoft should just admit defeat and keep stomping what little competition they have in the enterprise market, which is where they make all their money in the first place.

Enterprise is pretty much untouchable right now, so they have that on lock... never thought about that. Nice point.

Comment

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Windows is dying, but it will take inertia many years before most people notice. The office cube will be the last to give up Windows, but that day will come too many years from now except for a few backwards operations that will never change.

This comment will get objected to. I don't care. I'm talking about the long view, and I look ahead. Wait and see.

Comment

Tyre

macrumors regular
May 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Has anyone visited the site? It is pretty absurd.

Unlike Macs, many PCs running Windows 7 support Touch, so you can browse online newspapers, flick through photo albums, and shuffle files and folders—using nothing but your fingers. PCs with a fingerprint reader even let you log in with just a swipe of your finger.

Saying that Macs don't have touch is like saying Microsoft doesn't make an iPod. It is a copyrighted name, of course they don't have it. But they try to confuse people into thinking Macs don't have those features which, naturally, came about on OSX first.

EDIT: And Blu-Ray? Really that is all they have? I admit it looks amazing, but I can just grab HD movies off iTunes - perfectly satisfying.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
"HI! I'm a PC (poor, clueless) user! And I love jumping through all the software hoops programmed by code hacks. It saved me $200 over buying a Macint*freezes*"

Why would Windows combat Apple at all? They are merely advertising their insecurity and the opponent's product. Most people will always buy PC because they want to save cash or play games or a dozen other nearly valid reasons.

Comment

polishtheapple

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
I tried the MS selection tool - LOL

I tried the advertised MS selection tool to pick the higher end stuff for a 13" notebook just out of curiosity and it had 0 recommendations. Tried again with their automated tool and, for a high power recommendation, it came up with an ASUS with a ULV processor!!! hahahahaha!

I was late to the Apple camp because I am in an industry where I pretty much need to run windows because of document sharing issues with numerous windows users and the lack of programs comparable to the things I can/need to do on Windows. But I saw the Mac Pro and it was love at first sight. As a Windows user from the beginning I was very familiar with trouble shooting and probably spent over 25% of my time troubleshooting problems with blue screens hangs, and network problems for co-workers, in addition to my own problems.

I had XP on one of my 4 Mac Pro drives and it worked pretty well, but I finally thought it was time to upgrade from XP to Win 7 after all the publicity. After a couple of months, things started getting buggy, and I'm talking primarily about MS Office programs getting buggy, not 3rd party software. So I got on the phone with India. After several calls, and then a 3 hour session in which the "genius" took over my Win 7 and removed my entire MS Office install and then started deleting parts of Win 7 itself, he announced that it was time to go home and somebody would call me the next day.

Thankfully, I still had my XP drive and, after installing about a hour of updates, I was back in business on the Windows side. Don't believe anybody who says that Windows 7 is any better than Vista unless they have used it for at least 6 months.

I can definitely say that Windows 7 was NOT MY IDEA.

Comment

latafairam

macrumors member
May 7, 2008
Uk
That is a sexist Ad.
They show a woman, suggesting she is stupid and don't know that macs are better.
If I was a woman I'd be pissed. :)

Comment

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Loved how most of the reasons against Macs include "they act different than what you may be used to" and "they don't interact well with proprietary Microsoft software and formats"

Comment

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
This is so fluffy steve ballmer could have wrote it himself! does make me laugh! every comment is so vague!

Comment

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
MacOSX can be in most household by now, but it is not the current direction of Apple. This is going to be the main factor why Apple isn't the most used O/S in the world:

A) Apple would have to open its O/S to other computer makers like Dell, HP, Lenovo; and be a valid choice in O/S installation.

B) And Apple would need to change the mindset of most people who perceive the over all cost of ownership of a Mac to be significantly higher than that of a PC. PC/Windows is "cheaper". An intelligent person knows that both PC and Mac should cost the same if circumstances are the same and all things were obtain legally. To a lot of people, "cheaper" means O/S is easier to pirate, plenty of pirate options for PC compare to MAC. Cost of ownership = far less than a Mac. You can get practically anything for "free" if you look. It doesn't take a lot of effort.As for the Mac, though you can manage to find them, they are not as available.

C) Perceive sheer perception of more applications for Windows compare to for Mac. Regardless of quality.

D) More games on Windows.

With all that, Apple isn't doing bad considering what it's up against, and what it stands by. AS people weighs what Apple offers against A) openness, B) Cost of ownership not really more, C) avoid piracy, D) Don't care about gaming on PC... a Mac is really attractive.

Unifying simplicity that mostly works versus... <"benefits" of a PC>.

Comment

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I want to see some new "Mac Vs PC" ads :D

mac-vs-pc.jpg

Comment

Horus

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2009
*Inb4 flamewar*

I bet, there's gonna be, al least, a thousand replies and it is not related to the Antennagate!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.