Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today offered OneDrive users a pre-release version of its OneDrive syncing client for macOS that is optimized to run natively on Apple silicon.

onedrive-m1-macs.jpg

The official support for M1 Macs should make the OneDrive Arm preview run faster on Apple's latest machines, since the client will no longer need to go through Apple's Rosetta 2 translation layer.

OneDrive users need to be in the Office Insider program or Windows Insider program to use the Apple silicon preview version of OneDrive. Microsoft says it will be rolling out this feature to the Insiders ring over the next few days.

To get the pre-release internal build, click the OneDrive icon in the menu bar and select Help & Settings -> Preferences, then click the About tab. Under "About Microsoft OneDrive," select the checkbox to join the OneDrive Insiders preview, then under Pre-release builds, select Get Apple silicon build.

Microsoft's OneDrive support for Apple silicon comes after Dropbox announced it is working on its own native syncing client for M1 Macs that is due for release sometime next year.
Dropbox was forced to reveal its plan to release the optimized client following complaints from users that the company was dragging its feet and being unclear about whether it would eventually offer support for Apple silicon.

Article Link: Microsoft Releases Preview of Native OneDrive Client for Apple Silicon Macs

Reactions: jace88

jace88

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
Sydney, Australia
About time. OneDrive sync with 1TB+ of small files/folders/etc is the one thing which brings my M1 Pro to beachball.

I wish they'd introduce the option to choose whether you want full sync, selective folder syncs and everything offline or just links during the login/setup process rather than signing in, letting it sync the filenames/etc, and then changing it... but maybe this'll all be much faster with a native build of OneDrive.

throAU

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
About time. OneDrive sync with 1TB+ of small files/folders/etc is the one thing which brings my M1 Pro to beachball.
We'll see how that goes.

I suspect the beachball thing is due to it being like most crap microsoft code (in say, the rest of the office suite) and not being very well threaded. That may or may not be fixed as they port it to M1. if it isn't threaded on x86 and its just a recompile (vs. an actual re-factor), don't expect the beachballs to go away.

edit:
I do use OneDrive on my m1 pro for work; don't get too many beachballs on this, but it was a total pig on my intel air. runs way better on m1 pro for me already.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors G5
May 16, 2015
I use OneDrive all the time, so this will be a welcome change, though some big ones are still not yet AS compatible, let alone being optimised for it.

Hopefully more devs will optimise their applications for Apple silicon rather than just making it compatible, which is better than nothing but not going to utilise ARM very well.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
Or eliminate Teams and don’t replace it at all. That would be best, I think.

This would be the best outcome, then I won’t be forced to use it by third parties from time to time, even the iOS client is a confusing trash.

throAU

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Teams is in need of some serious work. If Microsoft plans on keeping it in their Office toolbox, they need to burn that thing down and start over.

You'll be happy to know that in true microsoft fashion (see: Skype vs. Skype for Business) they have been working on a consumer version built into Windows 11. Still called Teams but a different product.

CharlesJ42

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
The developer Mac mini was available since June 2020, right?
Since June 22, 2020 for most developers to order, but MS had early access, since they showed demos of the main Office apps running natively on Apple Silicon Macs during the Apple event. Official support for the main Office apps was released December 2020. While in no way justifying this delay, let’s put in context that Windows 10 on ARM was announced December 2017, and those users have been running a 32-bit x86 OneDrive app under emulation ever since, and it’s now that MS developed the 64-bit ARM version for Mac that WOA users will finally get an ARM preview of their own, 4 years after the fact, yikes! We waited one year for native M1 support 😐

Reactions: makitango

CharlesJ42

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2021
Now now, they had a touch version of Windows shipping in 2012 and the mainstream version of office for Windows is still way behind iOS in terms of touch UI friendliness.

It's not just the Mac platform that they're neglecting.
Windows 10 on ARM launched Dec/2017 and still runs an x86 OneDrive app under emulation to this day! The official ARM preview is rolling out know alongside/because of the Apple Silicon one.

MauiPa

macrumors 68030
Apr 18, 2018
Is it just me or is anyone else wondering where the “minds of Microsoft “ (an actual phrase from an old ad) have been?

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2013
Overdue... but to be honest not a massive performance win... its mostly waiting on network anyway.

Still, one less Rosetta2 dependency.
For me it's less about performance and more about lowering power usage. Having something running 24/7 now consuming less power is a win.

What about Teams

I think they are doing a full rewrite which is badly needed on all platforms, would explain how there's been zero mention of anything. No point in doing a recompile for M1 like they did with VS Code if they are going to release a version with actually decent performance.

mike2q

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2006

I wish they'd introduce the option to choose whether you want full sync, selective folder syncs and everything offline or just links during the login/setup process rather than signing in, letting it sync the filenames/etc, and then changing it... but maybe this'll all be much faster with a native build of OneDrive.

I use a third party app called insynchq to do just that. It's a paid app but only a one time fee so no subscription and it works great. It works on Linux Windows and Mac and allows you to selectively decide what files or folders gets synced. I only have one machine that runs Windows on and I use that for gaming only. I removed all OneDrive from that machine and use the other exclusively for a much more lean and streamlined experience. I highly recommend it.

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2013
Teams is in need of some serious work. If Microsoft plans on keeping it in their Office toolbox, they need to burn that thing down and start over.
I'm almost certain they are rewriting it in a proper compiled language rather than Electron. As they quickly released a M1 version of VS Code that runs in Electron but sat on their hands with Teams, which makes me believe they are waiting until they have a new version ready to go before releasing an M1 binary.

They are pushing Teams so hard that they need to do a full rewrite, Electron apps suck and everyone knows it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.