MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has announced November was its best month ever for consumer Surface sales. In a blog post, the company said more people are switching from Macs to Surface devices than ever before following the "disappointment" of the new MacBook Pro, particularly among professional users.

surface-book-vs-new-macbook-pro.jpg
More people are switching from Macs to Surface than ever before. Our trade-in program for MacBooks was our best ever, and the combination of excitement for the innovation of Surface coupled with the disappointment of the new MacBook Pro - especially among professionals - is leading more and more people to make the switch to Surface, like this. It seems like a new review recommending Surface over MacBook comes out daily. This makes our team so proud, because it means we're doing good work.
Shortly after the new MacBook Pro launched, Microsoft launched a trade-in promotion offering MacBook Pro and MacBook Air owners up to $650 credit towards a new Surface Book or Surface Pro 4. Microsoft also unveiled the Surface Studio in October, and the all-in-one desktop has been met with positive reviews.

Microsoft's Surface Book starts at $1,499, the same price as Apple's new 13-inch MacBook Pro with a standard row of function keys. Touch Bar-equipped models start at $1,799 for 13-inch models and $2,399 for 15-inch models.

Article Link: Microsoft Says 'Disappointment' of New MacBook Pro Has More People Switching to Surface Than Ever Before

Last edited:
Reactions: jpn

yaxomoxay

macrumors demi-god
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I can see that.
However, I went back to Best Buy to give a try to both the Surface(s) and the new MBP... both were serious disappointments. MS is picking up steam, you can see that they're actively working at changing their own products and being innovative, but the Surface didn't really convince me. The MBP... meh.
If I had to chose, I would chose the Surface.

Comment

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Unfortunately their disappointment with the Surface Pro 4 will send them right back next year. I own an SP4 as a secondary machine and the hardware is great - the keyboard/trackpad are one of the best I have used on such a small laptop/tablet. The problem is the battery life is wildly unpredictable and I have had so many issues with just freezing, losing inputs and randomly restarting for updates that I don't feel like I can rely on the thing. The other problem, it really isn't great as a tablet, at least not compared to an iPad.

Comment

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
I don't see professionals who need power switching. The new MBP line is definitely more powerful. The Verge just posted a short article on how video editing is slower on the new Performance Base Surface Book.

I totally could see general consumers trying a Surface instead of MBP though.

Comment

Chicane-UK

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
What a time to be alive. Microsoft taking the piss out of Apple.. and being right about it too.

Why do I just picture Apple as Dinesh from Silicon Valley, with his gold chain.. and Jared (Microsoft) makes fun of him... and he's like "Great. Now even ****ing Jared is busting my balls..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.