Microsoft Says Windows 10 PCs 'Do More' Than Macs in Latest Ads

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 29, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft has shared a new series of ads called The Bug Chicks that promote what it believes are advantages of Windows 10 PCs over Macs. Each ad has the tagline "Windows 10 PCs do more. Just like you."

The first ad introduces The Bug Chicks, who are identified as "real people paid for real opinions," and focuses on how PCs allow them to teach kids about insects using PowerPoint and other Windows 10 apps and features.

The other three ads highlight individual Windows 10 PC features, including Cortana, Inking, and Hello. Each 15-second spot deliberately mentions how "even the new Macs don't have that" or "Mac doesn't have a touchscreen."

"Windows 10 and Cortana" demonstrates how Microsoft's personal voice assistant can be used on the desktop to find any file by simply asking. The advantage will be short-lived, however, as Siri is reportedly coming to OS X 10.12 later this year.

"Windows 10 and Inking" shows how select Windows 10 PCs have touchscreens that allow you to write and sketch directly on the screen, unlike Macs. Meanwhile, Apple has previously admitted it has no plans to release a touchscreen Mac.

"Windows 10 and Hello" shows one of the ladies unlocking her PC with facial recognition, using the front-facing camera, with no password required. The biometric feature works with your face, fingerprint, or iris on select PCs.

The latest data from market research firm Gartner revealed that worldwide PC shipments from Lenovo, HP, Dell, Asus, and Acer continued to decline in the fourth quarter. Apple was the sole manufacturer that saw positive shipment growth in the quarter, based on sales of 5.7 million Macs.

Most of Apple's Mac lineup is due for a hardware refresh this year with Intel's Skylake chips, Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C, and possibly new form factors. The new Macs could be announced at WWDC in June or at a media event later this fall, although updates could also be announced via press release at any time.

Article Link: Microsoft Says Windows 10 PCs 'Do More' Than Macs in Latest Ads

2. 8692574 Suspended

3. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Buggy.. the subtle relevance of Windows advertising.

4. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Why the F is Apple going to wait until June to announce new Mac hardware? That's ridiculous.

5. captain cadet macrumors 6502

I like the fact they use bugs to sell windows 10 - "Hey guys, this system is full of bugs, but is still awesome!"
    I cannot stand the bugginess of Windows 10

6. StevenPG macrumors member

StevenPG

All I get from this commerical is even the girl in the Microsoft commerical owns a Mac.

Jealous of touchscreen or not she owns a Mac still.

7. tevion5, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Of course they do. They crash, get viruses, and have the most obnoxious notification system on earth.

My mac doesn't do any of that :/

8. Mums Suspended

Mums

9. jazstudio macrumors newbie

I don't want to touch my laptop screen. I'm actually a bit obsessive about seeing dust and fingerprints on it. That feature doesn't appeal to me at all.

10. jayducharme macrumors 68040

jayducharme

If PC sales weren't slumping enough, these ads should help.

11. joemod macrumors regular

I am puzzled. Does Microsoft consider Macs as a dangerous competitor? You know, Macs were like 10% of total PC sales.

12. Seraph301083 macrumors member

wow... Cortana seems incredible. It knew what she was saying before she even said it!

13. 8692574 Suspended

You can own a Mac and run Windows on it.....the wonders of 2006!!!

14. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

They work 'better' until the ****load of spyware/viruses/adware arrive on your PC.

And then you wish you had bought that Mac instead.

15. aamoren3 macrumors member

Yeah, but the girl on the left still has a Mac...

16. Jsameds macrumors 68040

17. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Funny since any "Mac" can do Windows with a VM... Unless they specifically say "Mac OS X" somewhere :)

18. Stickrbox, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

Stickrbox macrumors newbie

who the hell wants to look at bugs? most people will probably turn away from the bugs when they see these adverts.

it's like when microsoft came out with the brand new colour for the zune that you couldn't get with the ipod - brown.

19. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

It's true... Microsoft broken windows 10 can do 1 thing that Apple can't ......collecting datas from OS and send it to gov't.

20. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Waiting until June to update their antiquated lineup is just unacceptable.

21. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

If you had a touchscreen what would be the best way to keep it clean? My iPhone and iPad get pretty grimy and a quick wipe on the thigh/pants get them cleared up in a second. I don't mind cleaning my MBP screen every so often but I think daily or more would drive me nuts.

22. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

If that's all they've got then things don't look good for MS.
    If the Only Must Haves are Cortana and a Touch screen then they are in deep do-do.

23. The Chosen One macrumors member

24. DanTheAppleMan macrumors regular

Windows 10 absolutely does more.
    In the background.
    That eats up resources and slows the whole machine down.

I mean seriously, what is Service Host doing with all that CPU time?

25. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

I hope they don't mean "the crab-infested chicks"