Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
It rolls right off the tongue. Nokia Lumia 1020304050... oops

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I had a 920 for several months and I loved it. If the windows app selection starts to improve I'd probably go back without much hesitation. Nokia makes the best damn hardware. If they released something like the 920 that ran Android it would crush Samsung in my opinion. I don't even hate Samsung, I'm using one now, but Nokia just rules in the hardware department. Props to them for trying to innovate and for supporting WP8 more than even MS does. The point and shoot will be virtually dead in a few years time if this trend keeps up. Still a ways to go, but it's awesome to see Apple, Nokia, etc really pushing to get amazing pics out of these tiny phones.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Looks like a pretty nice phone I am rooting for windows all the way. Looking forward to seeing some real life photos with this.

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
it oversamples. for a 5 MP image, 7 MP are used to produce 1 MP. you get better image quality and noise filtering because of the oversampling

That sounds really awesome actually! Why isn't this implemented in more cameras? Is it a new tech/concept?

eyebye

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2007
What bias? Bigger pixels mean more light; more pixels mean smaller pixels, sensor size being equal (which it necessarily is here). Adding that many pixels to a small-sensor camera is easy, but it's nonsensical if quality is your goal.

Bigger pixels means more light per pixel but the same amount of light at the image level. For analogy, one 8oz cup holds the same amount of water as eight 1oz cups. The same is true for these ultra high density sensors, particularly the backside-illuminated ones which have no penalty for the extra pixel interconnects. And eight 1oz cups provide a lot more precision and flexibility than one 8oz cup.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
hmmmmm why can't Apple put THIS camera into an iPhone? Although I have to say my iPhone 5 is pretty good, but damn, xenon flash, 41mpx and no doubt Nokia's legendary quality cmos and lens.

Will be looking forward to the comparisons of this phone to the iPhone 5 and S4 etc.

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
In this thread, ignorant people who know absolutely nothing about lenses and digital photography.

vthree

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
You should do some research or read what is 41M is all about.

"That 41-megapixel camera is capable of capturing 34 and 38 megapixel-photos in 16:9 or 4:3, but when it takes that high-res image the 1020 is also saving what Elop calls a 5-megapixel “oversampled” image. Each of the pixels in those oversampled photos is composed of up to 7 pixels captured by the sensor (HTC did something similar on a smaller scale with the One’s UltraPixel camera), which makes for some richly detailed photos for sharing. Nokia’s Floating Lens stabilization technology seen in devices like the Lumia 920 has also been reworked to support the 1020′s hefty sensor."

Found Here

It makes 8megapixel shots look amazing.

thanks for the reference! will check it out.

DanTheAppleMan

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2012
UK
Judging by the leaked photos 'from this phone', it's exactly as expected. It's 41MP alright, but not a good 41MP.
The photos are full of noise and chromatic aberrations, and they're not particularly sharp.
I hope they're not the real photos from this phone, because if they are then all they've focused on (pun slightly intended) is cramming 41 million pixels into a phone, and not payed much attention to the quality of the sensor, optics or compression.
It looks half-hearted to say the least.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
That sounds really awesome actually! Why isn't this implemented in more cameras? Is it a new tech/concept?

It's a Nokia tech but Sigma uses something similar with their 46 mpx DP3.

It takes 3 pictures at 15.6 megapixels and combines them to 1 high quality picture.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
6 lens? I think they mean 6 element? Anyway, 41 MP is absurd, that's like medium format, but I'm guessing the pictures are not anything like a Hasselblad or Phase One. Going to be funny watching people trying to text dozens of these pics.

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
41 megapixels in a sensor that small!? I'm expecting noise and poor low light performance. If they can pull it off without that then Nikon, Canon and all the rest may as well be out of business.
Better hope they give you tonnes of internal memory too - I'm not buying big expensive SD cards as well as a phone.

First, the sensor size is larger than any smartphone camera ever. And second you are referring to the CMOS pixel size which is quite small (1.12 µm). But this works similarly to Apple's retina screens, i.e. light from multiple pixels is used to output one image pixel (thats why it outputs a 5 MP image). And they of course will have superior hardware and software noise cancellation mechanisms.

I'm pretty sure that the Lumia will shoot way better night shots than that stupid 3200 ISO shots my iPhone 5 shoots.

But then again, I never bought my phone for the camera :)

And no, it cannot put Nikon and Cannon out of business. Point and shoots and DSLRs with their CCDs and big lenses will always be better than any smartphone camera.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Judging by the leaked photos 'from this phone', it's exactly as expected. It's 41MP alright, but not a good 41MP.
The photos are full of noise and chromatic aberrations, and they're not particularly sharp.
I hope they're not the real photos from this phone, because if they are then all they've focused on (pun slightly intended) is cramming 41 million pixels into a phone, and not payed much attention to the quality of the sensor, optics or compression.
It looks half-hearted to say the least.

I don't know which picture you're talking about but the new 1020 is a f2.2 6 element lens capable of very sharp pictures for a phone. Did you expect a Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux-M Aspherical lens on the camera?

liam5150

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Mexico
The end of DSLRs? No way.

and dSLRs.

Heck, at 41MP, people will need TB's of storage on their phones if shooting RAW

I'm sure I will still prefer my old's 6 Megapixel DSLR photos taken with a prime lens over those 41 Mpx ones taken on a tiny sensor trough a cheap lens... And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. ;)

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Yes. Just like cheese, yogurt and butter are all just "milk."

An application is a program or set of programs that are designed to help the end user complete a task.

Last edited by a moderator:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
6 lens? I think they mean 6 element? Anyway, 41 MP is absurd, that's like medium format, but I'm guessing the pictures are not anything like a Hasselblad or Phase One. Going to be funny watching people trying to text dozens of these pics.

Once again, please read because saying non-sense.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
The problem that I see with a 41mp sensor is - zooming to mere 2x would reduce sensor area in use by device to 25%, but still whole sensor will consume same power as 1x.
41mp.jpg

On the lighter side, just naming your wife as Princess Diana wont make you Prince Charles! xD

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
Must be a slow Apple news day...

Yeah, why would anyone interested in Apple be curious about the ecosystem Apple competes in? It's just best to let Apple fans be oblivious as to what everyone else is doing to keep us content, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.