MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft has announced that following beta testing for a small group of users, it plans to launch its xCloud game streaming service on Apple devices via Safari "in the next few weeks."

Safari-and-XCloud-Feature.jpg

Microsoft has been attempting to launch its game streaming service, which allows users to stream games from the cloud rather than store them locally on the device, on Apple's platforms for some time. Microsoft and Apple got into a heated public argument last year over App Store guidelines that rejected apps such as xCloud from being available on the App Store. Apple eventually changed the policy, allowing such apps onto the platform, but requiring that every game offered via the service be submitted independently for review.

Microsoft has decided not to follow through with the new policy and will instead offer users access to xCloud via Safari on iPhone and iPad. Alongside xCloud on Safari, the streaming service will also launch on Edge and Chrome.

Article Link: Microsoft xCloud Game Streaming Service Launching on Safari in a 'Few Weeks'

javanate

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
If Apple was smart they would get behind this and encourage it, Microsoft can pick up where they are bad and make Apple's products even more compelling.

Heck I'd demo AAA games on the iMac at the next keynote and bring Microsoft out to brag about it. What now Intel?

Last edited:
Comment

Think|Different

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2021
I’ve been using the beta since it launched and, honestly, it’s super impressive. And you add the page to your home screen, it creates an icon tile, and then it’s a full screen with no bar from then on — remember that!? Ha. I’m “afraid“ Microsoft has shown this really is a viable solution for a ton of companies that may not adhere to Apple’s policy. The only place where this is a bummer to not exist is TVos. The experience is really solid and will only get better when Microsoft upgrades the entire cloud fleet to the new Series consoles this year.

Last edited:
Comment

glasssnowflake

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2021
Been testing this for a few weeks now on a 2020 iPad, 2021 iPad Pro M1, and iPhone 11 Pro. It's not perfect, but it's certainly perfectly acceptable and playable (particularly on the newer iPad). It's also not that awkward; once you've registered you simply add the Safari page to your iOS home screen, and that's pretty much it. Switching the Xbox Series S/X controller between Xbox and iPad just takes double pressing the pairing button on the controller and long-pressing to switch back.

Comment

Wildkraut

macrumors 65816
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
I’ve been using the beta since it launched and, honestly, it’s super impressive. And you add the page to your home screen, it creates an icon tile, and then it a full screen with no bar from then on — remember that!? Ha. I’m “afraid“ Microsoft has shown this really is a viable solution for a ton of companies that may not adhere to Apple’s policy. The only place where this is a bummer to not exist is TVos. The experience is really solid and will only get better when Microsoft upgrades the entire cloud fleet to the new Series consoles this year.
Just till Apple decides to feature cut the webkit engine, or slow it down on purpose.
Remember, it's not allowed to release browsers to iOS with thirdparty engines build-in.
Apple is still fully controlling the iOS web experience, and can anytime anti-competitively tighten the screws.
Apple sucks!

Comment

boombashi

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2005
Looking forward to this. Should be a great way to finally play game pass games on Apple devices. Apple is totally in the wrong here and should allow this to be an app. They are acting like a monopoly and flexing their muscle to protect their own silly Arcade Games. If their Apple Arcade Games are so good, let them compete in the open market with streaming platforms. They don't compete and that is the sad point. Hopefully eventually Apple wakes up, but for now I think this web solution will work quite well. I tried Stadia and it worked well so I know the technology is proven, but I want game pass since I already subscribe on Xbox.

Comment

kalafalas

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
California
Does anyone actually care about this? Cloud gaming is a gimmick. I still can't play a game without periodic lag from my PS5, hardwired in, and me sitting 5 feet from my router. Its definitely not going to be worth it coming from a remote server. Just buy a switch if you want portable console-style gaming

Comment

AttoA

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Just so everyone is aware, Apple suggested a web-based route and offered help with engineers proficient in Safari to help Microsoft achieve this. Of course, Microsoft did 99% of the work, but it's not like Apple was blindsided or sincerely dislikes that Microsoft has created this...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.