Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

St Soichiro

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
Tulsa, OK
Meh

I guess it is MS's contention that it is OK to be a PC. All they (and Apple) want is that you identify with their product, and thus buy more.

I'd rather not be a PC or a Mac. They are both tools that I use to for me to be me, as defined by me. But at least the Apple ads are funny.

P.S. I am a big fan of Apple products, but at the end of the day their carefully constructed image is a marketing ploy and nothing else.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Apple's Response

Just watch. Apple comes back with an ad, "Look PC. First you copy our OS, and now our ads. Don't you ever learn."

Syrus28

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
Peoria, AZ
Now, That's a great ad.

The "I'm a PC ad", while better than the Seinfeld ads, seemed pointless. Just what was the purpose? What did I learn? What am I supposed to do?

...Elevator music for the mind!
Did you miss the opening line??

"Im a PC, and I've been made into a stereotype", and then the commercial proceeds to show the vast, diverse amount of people who use PCs... I mean, it wasn't rocket science... :D

breeze

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
poor Pathetic Microsoft

Im a PC and I sell Fish????

I these adds are all as pathetic as this they will only accelerate the desertion of microsoft and as long as Balmer sticks around, Microsoft will only continue to self destruct - Apple with the best of ads couldn't be as detrimental to Microsoft as Microsoft is to itself....Fish?!! Fish stinks.......

ztigerpaw

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2008
I'll admit its not bad. Just doesn't address anything but tell every uses Windows. Which we already know. :confused:

coupdetat

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I liked these ads a lot! These, and the Seinfeld ads, show that Microsoft (or, their ad agency) are thinking outside the box.

Hope Apple has an interesting retort!

karlfranz

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2006
Melbourne
Anybody else find this an ironic message of how Microsoft feels threatened by Apple's recent success?

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 48

jazman

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
It will be really interesting to see Apple's response. Do they stop as one poster suggested, or do they counter? If they run a successful counter, they could make viewers think about their (funny) ad while watching the PC ads. That would then cause Microsoft to shift yet again and stop their campaign as to not create confusion. Kind of like what Budweiser did with the counter "Referee" commercials against Miller. Remember, Miller had refs to come and flag people for drinking Bud and they would take their beer. Then Bud countered by showing the refs running and getting in a truck with the bud, drinking and hi-fiving as if it was a well orchestrated heist.

Brendan.Porter

macrumors member
"A life without walls"

Um...

A little off-message, don't you think, Microsoft?
Last I checked, Windows go into walls.

Can there be any windows in a life without walls?

...Apples grow outside.
So Microsoft wants you to leave your windowed walls behind and look at some Apples.
Right?

*backfired

FJ218700

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2007
Blue Dot, Red State
seriously, Gates' screen presence has been incredible in these commercials.

I may have to finally try this Windows thing out.

Hope my Pro has enough RAM to handle it :cool:.

HailToTheVictor

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
"Windows ... Life Without Walls"

Ouch!

Kind of a subtle sting to Apple's slightly walled garden, or am I reading into that a bit much? Either way, it has some creativity to it in it's own way. Curious to see what Apple's response, or new ad craze will be!.

image.php

Apple's "PC Guy" holding up a window and saying, "Look, Windows without walls, drops the window and glass breaks." Mac says, "Yeah, without walls windows just crash..."

cecil444

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
NY
Gates' Groceries

btw...was that Bill Gates carrying his own brown bagged groceries to his car...oh God, i have been wrong all this time, Bill is such a "down to earth regular guy"

Yeah c'mon now, are we really supposed to believe Bill Gates fetches his own groceries?! Who does he think he's fooling!?!

What a silly commercial. It starts out in a completely different place from where it finishes! More inconsistent bumbling from Microsoft.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
I like the part where the guy is in a shark cage, and he has a sign that says...

"I'm a PC. And I'm scared."

And scared he should be! If this is all MS can do to go against Apple's commercials, PC should be afraid. Very afraid.

Kalison

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
The obvious next move for Apple would be another 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ad with Hodgman and Long in which we find PC on a movie set with cameras and back drops and high paid celebrities shooting a commercial for Vista. The possible set ups and punch lines are endless but one that would be really great is if they could get either Kramer or Newman to appear in the ad.

Yes, they should discredit themselves with that racist, classless, hack.

Ever since he lost it on stage and went on a racist spree on a member of the audience, I have never respected that man.

lgoodlove

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
good responce

this is a great response to the apple ads. Stop complaining just because Microsoft made it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show steve jobs going "the era of thinking for apple to win Microsoft has to lose" or something like that then show the PC people and say "then why are you stereotyping us?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.