Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thiopentone

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
Wow, a Windows fan boy.
Please go to Dell.com and configure a desktop with ALL the features in a comparable Mac and you won't find it cheaper.

I built mine, sport, and I can tell you, they are. Although to be fair, I have to acknowledge the 200% markup we seem to cop from Apple in Australia...

thedave3000

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Arlington
The obvious next move for Apple would be another 'I'm a Mac, I'm a PC' ad with Hodgman and Long in which we find PC on a movie set with cameras and back drops and high paid celebrities shooting a commercial for Vista. The possible set ups and punch lines are endless but one that would be really great is if they could get either Kramer or Newman to appear in the ad.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
I'm still trying to figure out why I need any windows if I am living a life without walls... Where do the windows go if you don't have any walls? I guess these ads are telling me I don't need windows?

So, "I'm a PC and I don't need windows for life." Is that what Microsoft is saying? :p

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
No originality whatsoever. Once again Microsoft stumbles. I can't believe you guys think it's a good comeback. It basically takes Apple's idea and spins it around.

Lame. Just Lame.

thewizardguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
I built mine, sport, and I can tell you, they are. Although to be fair, I have to acknowledge the 200% markup we seem to cop from Apple in Australia...

Even apple admits the hardware is cheaper than what they sell it at; you guys are talking about two different things.

For average users, a dell composed of similar things is not TOO dissimilar to an apple imac in price.

The iMac will last 2-3x longer, be more stable the whole time, and is a more elegant solution (less wires basically). It can now run windows as well, so there isn't a competition anymore.

For the custom builders, we spend as much as we want for the machine we want. The problem is, Apple doesnt have anything AS customizable for a comparable machine (IE the Mac Pro...but cheaper).

spacefm

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
How UNoriginal

"ok redmond, start your photocopiers"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/emeidi/43356340/

strike one;
a failed "Mohave Experiment"

strike two;
stupid irrelevant seinfeld ads.

so as not to strike out, let's go with plan C....
just get into the whole "I'm a...." as a last resort! and copy Apple AGAIN.

gates during the ad, "and i wear glasses" and then a few others...
wtf! dodge the facts and MS does the real stereotyping with comments like those during the ad.

"I am a human being!!!"
RUFUKCINGKIDDINGME! we are all human beings you idiot so don't "cry wolf" that someone was saying bad mean things to you just for you to gain sympathy.

is this supposed; to make Mac users feel guilty for feeling safer with OSX and Windows users more real with all their imperfections and everyone calling them names.
btw...was that Bill Gates carrying his own brown bagged groceries to his car...oh God, i have been wrong all this time, Bill is such a "down to earth regular guy" ...who wears glasses!

"Windows: Life Without Walls"

the best liars & manipulators in the world are masters at the art of denial.

That goes for MS and it's users.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This is a nice start.

Now Microsoft just needs to make the next version of Windows better then XP. :p

Even apple admits the hardware is cheaper than what they sell it at; you guys are talking about two different things.

For average users, a dell composed of similar things is not TOO dissimilar to an apple imac in price.

The iMac will last 2-3x longer, be more stable the whole time, and is a more elegant solution (less wires basically). It can now run windows as well, so there isn't a competition anymore.

For the custom builders, we spend as much as we want for the machine we want. The problem is, Apple doesnt have anything AS customizable for a comparable machine (IE the Mac Pro...but cheaper).
I take it you've never been around for all the Apple repair extensions that have been handed out over the years.

You should see some of the dust clogged Dells from 1999 that we have in working condition. Aside from the dust and age that is. Pentium II and 440BX are love.

tosui

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2008
shows the problem with micro$oft's lack of thinking things through

"Life without walls" - Doesn't work for me for a product called "Windows"....

Yeah. If you *had* a life without walls, you wouldn't *need* windows. Well played, Bill.

I guess my mac gives me a life without walls... and, thankfully, windows!

stainlessliquid

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2006
No originality whatsoever. Once again Microsoft stumbles. I can't believe you guys think it's a good comeback. It basically takes Apple's idea and spins it around.

Lame. Just Lame.

Good job figuring out the whole point of the commercial. Spinning around a stupid campaign and making their competitor look like a huge douche bag.

I love the old bandwagon ploy in the commercial. "All these people use PC's, that's why you should too." Please. I learned about that logical fallacy in 9th grade.
Not a good job for completely missing the point of the commercial.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I love the old bandwagon ploy in the commercial. "All these people use PC's, that's why you should too." Please. I learned about that logical fallacy in 9th grade.

But that is why they have to teach it again and again through the centuries to every new group of kids. Because the logical fallacy is so powerful and works well. We need to have it pointed out.

Remember Bill Gates got rich by making just one good observation -- There are a lot more people who know nothing about computers than there are experts, I'll sell to the larger group.

Seriously, how many here remember the industry before Microsoft? Back them computer companies only sold to computer professionals or a very few hobbyists. Mostly it was companies like DEC and IBM and CDC.

triscuitbiscuit

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
I think that was a very good spot... MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Seinfeld ones that made no sense...

However did anyone hear the part "I'm a PC and I have three rings" and find any irony in it?

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Well quite an ordinary ad by microsoft. But is it tackling the root cause of os migration to leopard? Please get vista in shape first. Ads don't convince people to switch to apple or vice versa. A good operating system does that. Kudos to Mac OS. Once you go mac, you ain't going back...

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007
Basically, Apple LIES in their ads so why shouldn't Microsoft respond?!

Apples touts (in one of their newest ads) that "Mac's are the number one notebook on college campus'"...so...Windows is the number one OS in the WORLD!

About time.

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
In my opinion, it finally gets to the point. The Seinfeld and Windows Mojave ads weren't getting to the point, but with these ads, it shows how the average Joe can use Windows. Apple's "Get A Mac" campaign has just brought some heavy stereotyping of the whole Windows OS in general.

And for all the people that think that these ads are horrible, that they're just copying Apple, seriously, don't you have better things to do other then bashing Microsoft every time they say "Hi!" ? :confused:

dicklacara

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
SF Bay Area
I think it's too unfocused to be a good ad. It doesn't create any excitement about their product - or about even using a computer!
Microsoft can create good ads. I personally think the 13 year-old windows 95 ad was very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM0DL5giOBU

Now, That's a great ad.

The "I'm a PC ad", while better than the Seinfeld ads, seemed pointless. Just what was the purpose? What did I learn? What am I supposed to do?

...Elevator music for the mind!

PURCELL429

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, alright, its better than the Seinfeld ads. I guess I could see it helping their image as a company... though not the image of their products, which was the problem in the first place. Use the $300 mil to hire some better programmers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.