Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Microsoft today launched a new commercial comparing its Cortana virtual assistant and the HTC One M8 for Windows ...

Hey Satya.
Why don't you just call the whole post-PC mobile thing a "hobby" and move on?
It would save everybody a lot of time, trouble, carbon footprint, etc.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Except having the speaker on the bottom of the phone is actually a design benefit as your alarm is less likely to be muffled than if the speaker as facing directly into the ground!

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Heh, that was actually quite good. I'd love front facing speakers and waterproofing on the next iPhone. Perfection!

Windows Phone is really nice now with its current version. If only developers cared about the platform. I think soon there will be a renaissance of sorts with WP now that they've nailed down a great SDK and development platform, as well as unity with the desktop metro apps (buy the app on phone and it's available on metro I.e WinRT and Win8 and soon Xbox) like with universal apps for iPhone/iPad. Imagine if the same app for iPad also worked on OSX. Cool.

Anyway, shoe is on the other foot now. Mac vs PC of old. Although I've never been a fan of calling out your competitor in an ad.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Won't this be slightly awkward in a week when the new iPhone comes out with supposed "better Siri"?

Only if your in the one country who gets a better Siri for 18 months whilst the rest of us plebs outside of USA have to make do with tweedle dum. ;).

Based on every new feature that makes it into an iPhone.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Windows OS on mobile is actually brilliant, maybe better then iOS

But when you have no app support it doesn't matter if you have the greatest OS of all time

Let me see... The Kindle app, an email client, a media player, a camera and gallery app and a web browser also exist for Windows phone, so it has all the apps that I actually need. I find app stores and app counts highly overrated - and no, I'm not a Windows phone user.

Stanick

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Sofia, Bulgaria
cheap ugly looking ****. yes they get people are tight and will put up with ugly frustrating virus ridden experiences to save a few bucks

Umm, when was the last time you used a PC? I'm guessing in 1998.

I HAVE to use a PC at work and the system admin didn't even bother to install antivirus. 4-th year in a roll - no virus. I can also tell you that PCs are not necessarily ugly looking anymore. Yes, standard combos from best buy are. But ... you get my point.

Anyone remember the "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" ads? So who started this?

I'm an apple fan but I can't understand the bias and blindness... Sorry

Sinfonist

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2007
I love Apple operating systems. I have to admit though, there are more PCs running Windows out there than there are machines running OSX, and you think Microsoft don’t get it?

Historical inertia, with a declining market. MS know they need to do something, they just fail to be cool.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Umm, when was the last time you used a PC? I'm guessing in 1998.

I HAVE to use a PC at work and the system admin didn't even bother to install antivirus. 4-th year in a roll - no virus. I can also tell you that PCs are not necessarily ugly looking anymore. Yes, standard combos from best buy are. But ... you get my point.

Anyone remember the "I'm a PC and I'm a Mac" ads? So who started this?

I'm an apple fan but I can't understand the bias and blindness... Sorry

The operating system is fugly

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Hey Satya.
Why don't you just call the whole post-PC mobile thing a "hobby" and move on?
It would save everybody a lot of time, trouble, carbon footprint, etc.

Post-PC does not exist. It's just new types of PCs. iPhones are iPads are PCs.

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
Wait why is Microsoft promoting HTC instead of Nokia since they own Nokia

Because they want other manufacturers to create windows phones using hardware used in existing android phones. HTC may have taken a big risk creating a windows phone on their flagship hardware.

Visa Declined

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
I own a Windows Phone device with Cortana, and this commercial is flat out deceiving. Cortana's voice is very robotic sounding irl, but in this commercial she is conversating smooth and fluid like a normal person, this is simply more of Microsoft's lies.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
If I could have iOS 8 on an HTC One M8 with Cortana and Xbox integration, I'd be the happiest man alive!

Seriously, I'm a huge Halo nerd and the HTC One M8 looks sooooo sleek!

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
So you’ve missed it too. On the balance of the things that are there; cost, design, accessibility, usage etc etc, the reality is that most businesses and individuals have chosen M$. FACT.
I prefer and may have chosen Apple, you may have chosen them also for the same reasons but all in, most haven’t.
Still say MS don’t get it?

Useless market share angle again. tell me.. with all these "most businesses and individuals" choosing Microsoft, Who's a bigger company now? Are they even bigger than Google?
Get stuck in 2007 perhaps?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Because they want other manufacturers to create windows phones using hardware used in existing android phones. HTC may have taken a big risk creating a windows phone on their flagship hardware.

HTC has announced that it will be releasing a dual boot M8. In the U.S., it will first be exclusive on Verizon. But is suppose to be released on other carriers at a later date.

ludalukeerb

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
UK
Historical inertia, with a declining market. MS know they need to do something, they just fail to be cool.

As per previous peoples comments, MS DO get the market, just not the same market (necessarily) as Apple. Apple chased and won over the consumer with the iPod, then the iPhone then the iPad and now the ecosystem is drawing people into the Mac/OS X world as well. Yes the Mac has its place, predominantly with App developers (more recently 8-9 years) and creative professionals etc.... Windows has on the most part ALWAYS dominated the Enterprise and professional business sectors, because of its flexibility to run on a large variety of platforms and rigs/setups (be that disastrously slow or lightning fast dependent on hardware) - this has benefited them no end. Apple on the other hand - to use Steve Jobs as a reference, has always concentrated on a much smaller number of products to do them right. Hence the tight integration of software and hardware, you buy a Mac because you want a well built machine that works for years without as many issues you would get on a PC, with alot of software you may well end up paying more for comparatively on a Windows based machine.

I myself am a big fan of the iPhone and iPad because as far as I'm concerned the experience you get on these as a user IS second to none (MY opinion before someone shoots me down).

Actual desktop wise, I'd pick PC EVERY SINGLE TIME because I build the units myself, I can put what I want in there when I want without having to check its Apple approved - and believe me if you've not built your own machine before - properly I mean not scouring to find the cheapest options (i.e. the crappy low power i5's etc...) the cost price difference is not that vast between Mac & PC - I'll happily spew my gaming rig setup to prove a point if it makes those non-believers happier, also Windows without all the bloatware crap that alot of manufacturers put on them is actually not too bad!

You will not on the most part change this same situation in the enterprise space, every corps requirements are different from the next, Apple simply does not cater for this market (currently) - hence their partnership with IBM giving them a much vaster reach into this market place - look at the bigger picture.

If you talk about notebooks, I'm indifferent, for work I use a 13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012 upgraded with 16Gb RAM as I use Parallels to run Windows on a Thunderbolt display. Regardless, if you look at what you can generally upgrade on a laptop - on the most part HDD/SSD and RAM are about it! - cost is more important for most here.
At home I use a Dell 15" i7 (dual core), 8Gb, 256Gb SSD, nVidia discrete GPU, as my home laptop, which due to my iPad I rarely need to use as I can remote into my gaming pc if I need something specific done and I can't be bothered to move to the chair.

I am an Apple fan, just also a realist who likes the best of both worlds without bias either way.

Cmdrx3

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2013
Let me see... The Kindle app, an email client, a media player, a camera and gallery app and a web browser also exist for Windows phone, so it has all the apps that I actually need. I find app stores and app counts highly overrated - and no, I'm not a Windows phone user.

My daughter bought a Windows Phone, said the OS was fine but the lack of good apps ruins its.. she bought a cheap Chinese android phone and gave it to my son who lost his iPhones 5S and was using a cheap Android as a replacement... I asked him the other day what he thought of it. He said it was fine, but the biggest problem with it was the apps. Until MS sort out the apps problem for the majority it will never seriously challenge IOS or Android. They would have been better targeting and financing the developers of the top 50 apps that most people use, even the top 25 would have been useful instead of offering pitiful amounts of money to smaller developers to produce inane cr*p in order to boost the app store number. Just because it may have an app for a purpose, it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good app

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
That's actually a solid ad, too bad I'd rather use Google Now on Android and Siri on iOS.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Got a Windows Phone for work and I searched for, Snapchat, Swing Copters, Quiz Up, YouTube, Google Drive, Google Docs, Lumosity and Elevate.

Guess what? They are nowhere to be found on the Windows Store.

WP8 isn't even in the same league as iOS and Android for me at this point.

OreoMuncher

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Umm, you sure?

The best thing Microsoft could do at this point is to license different voices based on xbox games. Call of Duty, HALO etc = so many happy gamers using their phones as an extension of their favourite games. Apple had the opportunity and its been mentioned in the past multiple times but they have done nothing with signing "celebrity" voices for siri. Though I don't think celebrity voices would have as much pull as gamers favourite characters. Who knows maybe Apple will get it first and users can all speak to their phone as their favourite movie characters.

I don't think Jennifer Lawrence will be signing up ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.