Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Apple + Microsoft > Google. Google is the enemy of both, and if Apple and Microsoft start putting their heads (and money) together, I think they can take out the Goliath, then go back to hating each other. Remember that old adage, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Google is just becoming a nuisance.

Bing as default search engine for Safari.

Jimmetry

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2009
Objective-C isn't a Mac language - it's an ANSI standard object oriented extension of C. Objective-C programs can be compiled with GCC to run on variety of platforms. Cocoa on the other hand is entirely apple-centric and is the APIs and frameworks used to create Mac/iPhone native apps.

Well yes, by definition. But there is hardly any need for Objective-C without Cocoa... most things can be accomplished easily in plain C, and all the useful frameworks on other platforms tend to be in C++. Support for Obj-C beyond Apple is pretty abysmal, and there's no way that Microsoft would be the first to embrace it.

backdraft

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2002
USA
Ok, when Steve Jobs said it the first time I didn't believe him, but if he were to say hell has frozen over this time around, lol well now its plausible.

All I know is this is HUGE! It will further cement Apple and put a dent on Google and Adobe Flash. Looks like M$ and Apple are teaming up to tag team Google and Adobe!

I wondering if this is foreshadowing an Apple merger or buy out of Microsoft. BIG BOLD MOVES! :eek:

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
Wouldn't it be great if, as a symbol of Apple and Microsoft's new alliance, that on stage, Jobs swapped his black turtleneck for Ballmer's v-neck sweater and vice-versa?

There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
Will they play this Jobs segment when Ballmer's on stage?

"The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste. They have absolutely no taste. And I don't mean that in a small way, I mean that in a big way, in the sense that they don't think of original ideas, and they don't bring much culture into their products."

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
There is absolutely NO WAY this is going to happen. NO WAY.

If this ends up being true, I will give $1000 to any charity of MacRumors choice.

Ethan
It's not so far-fetched.

Remember, Microsoft initially released their Seadragon app on the iPhone platform first.

How much does Microsoft charge for Visual Studio? If they add iPhone app code compatibility to VS, do you think they'll have more customers or less?

Do you think they're trying to hedge their bets hoping that VS developers pounding out iPhone App code might eventually port their code over to the next generation Windows Mobile IDE?

Maybe Microsoft thinks it's better to keep people on Visual Studio, rather than see them waltz off to Xcode?

Goaliegeek

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
Colorado
But Steve Jobs said no cross platform app creation.... He made such a big deal about with with Adobe... Why would he let M$ do it? Makes no sense.

crobi222

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2008
I know what will happen.

Apple will buy Microsoft and replace Win 7 gradually by OSX within 5 years transition.
:D

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
There is absolutely NO WAY this is going to happen. NO WAY.

If this ends up being true, I will give $1000 to any charity of MacRumors choice.

Ethan

Not to worry, but just in case I bookmarked your pledge.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

support for Obj-C beyond Apple is pretty abysmal, and there's no way that Microsoft would be the first to embrace it.

not true... I can generate native obj-c code from a number of UML tools which have little to do with Apple. This code, when integrated with the iphone/ipad sdk, compiles and runs well.

transmaster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2010
Oh My God.......

I have one answer as to why Steve Ballmer is speaking at WWDC 2010......Google. Steve Ballmer's hatred for Google is legendary and given the fall out between Apple and Google this makes perfect sense. Let's see 7 minutes I don't think Steve can can get worked up too bad in that amount of time but some of the tirades he has had at M$ meetings in a sight to behold, dripping with sweat, sweat soaked shirt, red faced, almost screaming....at Google.:)

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
But Steve Jobs said no cross platform app creation.... He made such a big deal about with with Adobe... Why would he let M$ do it? Makes no sense.

That's what SDK 5 will be for. ;)

Need a loophole? As long as your name isn't Adobe there's an app for that.

embraceware

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2008
Aw c'mon - "one analyst is predicting"...

Visual Studio 2010 was just released a month ago with a focus on the .NET 4.0 framework and SharePoint development.

MS is trying to get a big push on development for the new Windows Phone Series 7 coming later this year. With the lack of developers on that already I can't see them having this tasty distraction within their development app.

Calling BS on this prediction - it doesn't make sense on so many angles.

On top of that Microsoft's big TechED event (their version of WWDC) is June 7-11th... Check out their detailed topic list: http://northamerica.msteched.com/topic/list

Also note that I think this misinformation happened because Microsoft's TechED is June 7th and so is WWDC. So if someone heard that Steve Ballmer was talking up Visual Studio 2010 on June 7th it'd TechED - not WWDC. Maybe the reporter didn't know about TechED and assumed June 7 = WWDC...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Wouldn't allowing Microsoft to make Visual Studio output iPad and iPhone apps break the developer agreement for iDevelopers? This just seems odd after the big fuss Jobs made about allowing others to create development tools that lag behind Apple's own and using that as part of their ammo to shoot down Adobe. Now just a few weeks later they're going to endorse MS doing it? Kinda confusing...

Not that I'm an Adobe/Flash fanatic - I agree with Jobs that letting Adobe (or anybody else for that matter) be a middle-man between Apple and iDevs is a bad idea, but to openly embrace MS software so soon after beating down Adobe? Something doesn't add up...
While I doubt this rumour, it would be exciting news for some corporate developers who prefer Visual Studio.

If this rumour had any possibility of being true, it would mean that Apple had ported the libraries and build toolchain for the iPhone/iPad to windows and integrated it as a plugin for Visual Studio. So this would be iPhone SDK ported to windows.

The Adobe thing was different while this would have to be creating native apps using a ported set of libraries for writing Objective-C code and building it into executables for the iPhone OS.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would pay to see Steve Ballmer bow down and kiss Steve Jobs' feet.

Ballmer should also do his monkey dance and say "I am not worthy!"

=)

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
Wouldn't it be great if, as a symbol of Apple and Microsoft's new alliance, that on stage, Jobs swapped his black turtleneck for Ballmer's v-neck sweater and vice-versa?

There wouldn't be a dry eye in the house.

this is funny...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.