Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pposthoorn

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
The Netherlands

vysyus

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I spoke with an AASP service guy yesterday in Slovakia. There is no Apple Store over here.

He is the guy that does the repairs on-site and he said he hasn't heard anything about replacements. Said that the battery replacement kits are sometimes backordered, but they usually just ask the customers if they want to wait or not.

He quoted around 260,- EUR for the replacement (labour included). This is a discounted price as he did diagnose my 2012 Retina MacBook Pro 15" and the battery has failed (normally the price would be around 400,- EUR).

So I did not put the order in yet, I am thinking whether to save the money towards future MacBook Pro purchase, or just go for it and see what happens (I do not need a new battery badly). What do you reckon? Anyone has any experience from Central Europe?

UPDATE: Bit the bullet as I just got a field job for August, where a new battery would come in handy. The AASP shop ordered replacement parts as per usual, so I'm waiting if I get any phone calls and will update for anyone interested.

Last edited:

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands
Hey everyone. I have a couple questions. I'm located in the NL but I'm travelling soon and I'm in a similar predicament. I've now had 4 hardware repairs done on my retina MacBook Pro and now I have sporadic graphics issues (freezing leading to system shutdowns) as well as random battery shutdowns. Coconut battery indicates between 81-83% with 169 cycles on the battery. Can I ask which store you took it in? How did you play out the whole situation? How would you advise me to do the same? Did you deal with just the Apple Store or an AASP? Do you think I should play dumb about the existence of the program or? Thanks!

My specs:

2.6ghz, 512 GB SSD, 16GB Ram, GT650M
169 Cycles with 81-83% Battery Life

theCraigLaw

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2013
Investing, that's the first time I see someone here with an early 2013 model.

Yeah, I hadn't seen anyone go in with my model even though I saw that it applies to the 2012 and early 2013 models as they both have the same battery casing arrangement.

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands
You're a prime candidate for this unofficial replacement programme. Those charge cycles are too little and yet the capacity drop is too big.

Bring it to an apple retail store.
I actually took it into an Apple Store but I was more worried about graphics anomalies. The genius was one of the worst I've ever come across. Just ran the hardware test. The battery test passed but the VST test didn't pass. They ran an inept test and then it passed. However, I think there was no indication of a battery failing because it is above the 80% threshold. What would I say when I go in?

sgadher

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2012
Hi All,

I thought I would weigh in with my experience personally but also outline what I think are the "ground-rules" for eligibility. (Credit to OP on Reddit thread) Its the least I can do as I would'nt have even known about this without OP posting on this thread. (OP - big thanks again)

The following outlines the conditions, Apple appear to be quite stringent on what qualifies:

IN ORDER TO QUALIFY

You must meet the following criteria:

• A mid 2012 or early 2013 15" Retina MacBook Pro
  • The battery needs to be less than 80% max charge on 1,000 cycles or less
  • This is a worldwide shortage so customers outside of the US also qualify. Those with rare keyboard layouts may be out of luck if Apple happens to have the part.
  • Having had AppleCare on your laptop does not seem to matter or influence what version laptop you get.
COMMON DISQUALIFICATIONS
  • 13" MacBook Pros do not qualify.
  • MacBooks and MacBook Airs do not qualify.
  • Late 2013 MacBook Pros do not qualify.
  • Non-Retina 15" MacBook Pros do not qualify.
  • MacBook Pros with a healthy battery (>80%) do not qualify.
HOW TO CHECK
  • To check what year your laptop is, go to the Apple button > About This Mac and the version will be listed. You are looking for MacBook Pro (15-inch, mid 2012) or (15 inch, early 2013).
  • To check your battery, go to the Apple button > About This Mac > System Report... > Battery. You are looking for a Cycle Count under 1,000 and a Condition of Replace Soon or Replace Now (under Health Information). It may also say Service Soon or Service Now.
  • To find out exactly what percentage your battery is holding at, you'll need to download a third party app. Many recommended Coconut Battery available here: http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/.
PROCESS

Bring your laptop in to an Apple Store (best) or Authorized Service Provider (reportedly hit or miss). Tell them you'd like to replace your battery. It is best not to mention knowing about the replacements although most Apple employees that have already done this probably know what's going on. The battery will cost $200 to replace or $365 if they include labor. You have to pay this amount although there are some reports of the $365 being reduced days later.

If you brought your laptop to an authorized service provider, some people are reporting they were only offered a free battery in September. Others reported the option for a replacement didn't come up until the employee went through the entire replacement process in whatever portal they use to order supplies.

The person you are working with may or may not speak with certainty that you'll have your battery replaced successfully. They may be trying to weed people out or they may sincerely not know. Continue with the process.

Some employees will straight up tell you your options which are as follows:
  • Wait until September when Apple expects to get more parts in and will replace your battery for free.
  • Trade in your laptop and take either $200 or $500 off a new laptop. Typically people were offered $500 but there were some comments on $200.
  • Allow Apple to replace your laptop with an equal or better spec'd 15" rMBP. Employees do not know which version you'll get so they may say you will get a 2013 or 2014 refurbished unit as they did with me.
If you agree to allow Apple to replace your laptop, they may ask you to turn in your laptop now or keep it until the replacement comes in. You may or may not be asked for payment details at time of visit and you may or may not be charged immediately for the service. Turnaround time is on average 7-10 business days although there are stories of longer.

Apple may or may not call you to confirm what laptop you're getting and they may or may not call you to ask what color you want if you're getting a 2016/2017.

Most people received a higher-end refurbished 2015 and most people were turned down when they asked if it would be possible to get a 2016/2017 instead. Some people were allowed to pay for the privilege and an even luckier few were allowed an even swap out for the new version. The more high-end/custom your qualifying laptop is, the higher the likelihood you'll get a 2016/2017.

For ref I underwent the process, took it into the Apple Store Covent Garden UK, within 24 hours I got a call requesting CC details, a week after that I was advised of the model I would receive and a further week after that I went in and collected a 2017 tbMBP 2.8, 16GB, 512GB with Radeon 2gb graphics.

**To the MODs of Macrumors - Apologies if I have spoken out of favor with the content or breadth but felt it my obligation to pass on the info/good fortune. Feel free to advise/delete as appropriate.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I actually took it into an Apple Store but I was more worried about graphics anomalies. The genius was one of the worst I've ever come across. Just ran the hardware test. The battery test passed but the VST test didn't pass. They ran an inept test and then it passed. However, I think there was no indication of a battery failing because it is above the 80% threshold. What would I say when I go in?

Yes, being above 80% is a pass, but he really should consider the drop of almost 20% compared to under 200 cycles. The genius I talked to saw I was around 83% capacity with 300 cycles and said it was borderline but put it through.

Also, does your MBP cut out before battery hits 0%? if so, say to the genius. i think this is possibly what helped my case - the battery was defective.

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands
Yes, being above 80% is a pass, but he really should consider the drop of almost 20% compared to under 200 cycles. The genius I talked to saw I was around 83% capacity with 300 cycles and said it was borderline but put it through.

Also, does your MBP cut out before battery hits 0%? if so, say to the genius. i think this is possibly what helped my case - the battery was defective.

The battery has actually been replaced once before. This battery is around 6 months old and I've gotten intermittent shutdowns at 40% or 30%, only to plug it in and have the system tell me its at 50% now. I've had replace now warnings a couple times but its a bit rare and intermittent. The battery is definitely not working as per normal but nothing failed in their tests. Also the Apple Stores in the NL don't really offer the same level of service as the ones in the USA. Weird. I'm afraid that my battery will drop well below the threshold after the sept date. I'd much rather have a new machine than dealing with this, especially given its well out of apple care's coverage.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
COMMON DISQUALIFICATIONS
  • MacBook Pros with a healthy battery (>80%) do not qualify.

Great post, but just a few points:
- If you're close to the 80% design capacity but have very few cycles (I was 83% / 300 cycles), the genius CAN still put the machine in for a suggested replacement but a genius admin will have the final say.

- very important: if your 2012 has a dedicated GPU (NVidia 650m), make sure the replacement machine has a dedicated GPU. 2015 models have 2 types: one with and one without a dedicated GPU. There are people within this thread being offered a machine with no dedicated GPU (it happened to me too), but when questioned it went back to the genius admin and then a 2017 model was offered as it has a dedicated GPU. The key here is, the replacement machine must be at least equal to the spec of the existing machine. No dedicated GPU on the replacement is a major downgreade if you had one before!
[doublepost=1500467427][/doublepost]
I've gotten intermittent shutdowns at 40% or 30%, only to plug it in and have the system tell me its at 50% now.

That's a faulty battery. You must tell them. The automated test will not find everything. I also got an automated pass but it was cutting out at 30% remaining capacity regularly.
I am in the UK, not USA, but still received fantastic service.

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands
- If you're close to the 80% design capacity but have very few cycles (I was 83% / 300 cycles), the genius CAN still put the machine in for a suggested replacement but a genius admin will have the final say.

- very important: if your 2012 has a dedicated GPU (NVidia 650m), make sure the replacement machine has a dedicated GPU. 2015 models have 2 types: one with and one without a dedicated GPU. There are people within this thread being offered a machine with no dedicated GPU (it happened to me too), but when questioned it went back to the genius admin and then a 2017 model was offered as it has a dedicated GPU. The key here is, the replacement machine must be at least equal to the spec of the existing machine. No dedicated GPU on the replacement is a major downgreade if you had one before!

That's a faulty battery. You must tell them. The automated test will not find everything. I also got an automated pass but it was cutting out at 30% remaining capacity regularly.
I am in the UK, not USA, but still received fantastic service.

I'm in a bit of a predicament. I'm currently dealing with this with Apple Support. I was doing this before even discovering this unofficial program. In fact it was my research into my issues which led to this discovery. Apple Support is looking into it and they are the ones who had me go into the store. They're trying to submit an internal replacement request but they need a fault to occur in the hardware tests. Unfortunately, because of my battery being above 80% no faults were found. They told me they'd get back to me only next week and because I'm in EU but my computer was purchased in the USA, I do not get protected by consumer law. I'm in a grey area. I can risk waiting for them to get back to me, and the admins internal can actually deny my request. Though they can approve it as well. It would come at no cost to me. If I went through the battery route its anywhere between 200-360 Euros I've heard? What do you guys think I should do. The Apple Store in the NL that I went to was ridiculously bad with the service. Didn't hear out my issues and didn't even look into something as basic as my battery cycle count, etc.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
I'm in a bit of a predicament.

Yes, it sounds like a horrible situation. If you do not get anywhere with the store, I would escalate with Apple European Headquarters in Cork, Ireland. They are the ultimate authority who can decide.

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands
Yes, it sounds like a horrible situation. If you do not get anywhere with the store, I would escalate with Apple European Headquarters in Cork, Ireland. They are the ultimate authority who can decide.

Do you know how I'd get in touch with those who make that final decision? At the moment I don't even have the contact information for the person who has been helping me. And its been a few days already.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Do you know how I'd get in touch with those who make that final decision? At the moment I don't even have the contact information for the person who has been helping me. And its been a few days already.

I will send you a PM in a minute.

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands

I can try to push for the replacement machine but firstly its going to cost me a further 200 Euro at least when I've already had 4 replacements. Also, Should I ask for the dGPU before or after I get the machine? What did you do? It seems like you waited till after you got the machine for that. Do they even stock 2015 machines with my specs? I do in fact have a dGPU, the 650M.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
When they called to offer me the 2015, the read out the specs. I noted no dGPU. He said yes they also noticed that and will go back and see what they can do. They called back with the 2017 offer.

33coe

macrumors member
May 13, 2015
I bet one of top customer service guys at Apple are reading this thread and wishing a curse on psynnott.

Reactions: 708692

rogerh

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
Thanks psynott, glad I randomly clicked on this thread a few weeks ago!

Got a brand new 2017 MBP (2.8 GHz, 1 TB SSD, Radeon Pro 555)

Previous computer was a mid 2012, 2.6 GHZ, 8 GB ram, 512 SSD (Battery was at 73.9% w/ 276 cycle count.)

worldtravellernl

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2017
Netherlands
Thanks psynott, glad I randomly clicked on this thread a few weeks ago!

Got a brand new 2017 MBP (2.8 GHz, 1 TB SSD, Radeon Pro 555)

Previous computer was a mid 2012, 2.6 GHZ, 8 GB ram, 512 SSD (Battery was at 73.9% w/ 276 cycle count.)

Thats amazing. How do you like it? I have similar specs.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
Here's a data point - just had an appointment in the UK (off the back of this thread incidentally) and the test came back at 80.59% after 461 cycles and they wouldn't replace until it crosses the threshold, which is a bit disappointing... considering it's less than half the 1,000 cycles that the other half of the test includes I suppose

RWHGadianton

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2010
Here's a data point - just had an appointment in the UK (off the back of this thread incidentally) and the test came back at 80.59% after 461 cycles and they wouldn't replace until it crosses the threshold, which is a bit disappointing... considering it's less than half the 1,000 cycles that the other half of the test includes I suppose
If you went in with a full charge, I would drain the battery below 20%, and have them try again. Mine passed at just above 81% with a 60% charge and failed under 20%.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
If you went in with a full charge, I would drain the battery below 20%, and have them try again. Mine passed at just above 81% with a 60% charge and failed under 20%.

Ah good idea, I was at ~90% when I took it in... only issue is making repeat appointments and having to go in - but I suppose with Coconut Battery that may help not waste my time.

ETA - now Coconut tells me 78.4%... certainly it's not the firmware test section they access, but of course

Last edited:

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
OP your a godsend. I gave up looking at these forums after the 2017 MBP didn't have 32GB option, and randomly came to check it today and checked out this thread.

I ALMOST replaced my battery a few months ago (I went in thinking they would replace it for free since it was under 80% with ~500 cycles at the time...since they advertised at least 1000 cycles when I bought it), so i refused when they told me I had to pay for it.

I just got back for the store today, and played dumb...after he did the battery test (68% @ 780 cycles) genius flat out told me they are out of stock of the top case and are replacing these with 2015 models.

He ended up ordering the top of the line 2015 model (2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD!). This actually worked out even better than I wanted...I actually didn't even want the 2016/17 models (rather have an extra year without dongle hell).

Best part my SSD went from a 512GB SATA drive to a 1TB NVMe drive! Pretty much got a 2k upgrade for 200 bucks lol.

Now I don't feel as bad waiting out for the 2018 model with 32GB ram...maybe even might stretch it out to 2019.

This 2012 MBP has to be on of the best purchases ever with this "fluke" replacement program :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.