Milanese Loop Feminine in Person?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by penajmz, Jun 2, 2015.

1. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

So since I first saw the Milanese Loop at the announcement I always wanted it... Until today.

Today at work somebody got in the elevator and he had an Apple Watch with it.. I was shocked at how feminine it looked. This was my first time seeing it in person and while it was a sort of short time I still got to see it and I just thought it would look different.

Anybody felt the same way? I still want to have it in my hands to see if I still want it or not.

2. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

I felt exactly the same way when I tired it on at the Apple Store. The mesh loops in it are way smaller than I imagined. Maybe that's why it's looks more feminine. Was so disappointed. Still a great band, just not for me

3. antnee macrumors regular

I disagree I thought the same at first but definitely manly....many males here have the same band.

4. mikezmac macrumors 6502a

mikezmac

I think it can look feminine if you have too little arm hair or the 38mm watch. My friend has it and on him it doesn't look feminine. He's got hairy arms and the 42mm and it looks good.

In the end it's personal taste.

5. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

I don't think so, but then again I don't think it'd matter if I or anyone else did. Wear what you like.

6. penajmz thread starter macrumors 68030

penajmz

I thought the same. The loops seemed larger in pictures but too small in person.

7. penajmz thread starter macrumors 68030

penajmz

I got hairy arms too and the 42mm. I'm still gonna try it in person before I make my choice of buying it or not.

8. moxxham macrumors 6502

moxxham

It does feel great though haha! Really good quality. I'm getting a new sport band today :) just wish the leather loop was in 38mm :(

9. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

image.jpg My wife said it look feminine to her, At the try one appointment when I tried it on. The link bracelet was the one she loved for me. image.jpg

10. penajmz thread starter macrumors 68030

penajmz

The link bracelet it's beautiful but at that price I'll pass for now.

11. InAustralia macrumors 6502

InAustralia

I thought the Milanese Loop looked feminine when I tried it on at the Apple Store. My wife and the Apple Sales Assistant thought so too, however the Apple Sales Assistant did state it was a very popular band.

But at the end of the day, all that matters is if you like it or not. Everyone else's opinions don't matter.

12. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I returned mine but not because it looked feminine or not but because it wasn't as comfortable to wear every day. I'm much more comfortable with the Sport band.

13. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Lol

14. 01silver4 macrumors 6502a

01silver4

Agreed!!

15. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I think it's all subjective. To me, the only one that looks feminine is the sport with pink band. The Milanese Loop is a little on the thin side so maybe that contributes to the way you feel. I don't agree though.

16. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Do the links pinch your hair?

17. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

I tried the Milanese in store and fell in love with it. I wanna get one when I have the money. I thought it was really comfortable. That, or the leather loop. I still haven't decided.

18. kdarling, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think it's partly the way that one end loops around, that makes it look more easy to use and thus "feminine".

However, as I've pointed out before, things that look "feminine" often change roles in a formal environment. E.g. silk, ruffles and fine-loop watch bands, suddenly become masculine "elegant" when worn to a black tie affair.

Fashion perception is all about where and when. But as others have said, it's your own perception that counts. Well, okay, or your spouse's perception! ;)

(Note that I have a black Milanese band on a space grey sport.)

19. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Generally no, imo, except in bright sunlight. In bright sunlight it does develop this bright sparkle, which would be more associated with Women's accessories than Men's. It looks like Glitter because of all the different angles the loop's chainlinking has.

20. KojiH, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015

KojiH macrumors 6502

I just got my 42mm Milanese today. In my opinion the mesh is a little too finely woven and a little too thin overall. I also happen to be an avid watch collector and have a variety of dive watches with mesh straps but those tend to have a much coarser weave and are thicker. I think that those bracelets tend to balance the weight of the watch case better as well.

I'm having a hard time adjusting the Milanese to the right tightness on the wrist. At times it feels too tight and not as breathable as I had imagined. Other times it is too loose and the case flops to the outer edge of my wrist. I find that I'm constantly fidgeting with the magnetic clasp to adjust the fitment.

21. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I know four other people with the watch. Of us, four picked the Milanese loop and one the leather loop. We've got three men and one woman on the Milanese. I've seen another woman wearing a white sport band. That's the six people I've seen with the watch in person.

I would not say in my experience the Milanese is more feminine. I would say it's less conservative. It's less common. The link bracelet and classic leather strap are more traditional. Milanese bracelets haven't been used much (except maybe by Skagen). Although, it's also described as shark-proof... How macho is that?

22. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

I'm going to get the milanese loop 42mm watch. It's what I like and i'm very comfortable with my sexuality that I really don't care if someone thinks if it's feminine or not. I'll buy what I like and i'll continue to do so. I make high pitched voices when I come home to my dogs and when I see cute animals, and I use Aussie shampoo marketed at females. I'm very comfortable with myself and really don't give a hoot what people think. Buy what you like and don't think anything of it.

23. penajmz thread starter macrumors 68030

penajmz

Well that's what I wouldn't like in it, if it looked too feminine for me personally would be a deal breaker. I'm actually very comfortable with my sexuality as well, talk to my dog in a high pitch tone too when I get home. It's not about that, it's about the look for me.

I didn't post this to see if you guys approved or not, just to get opinions. Doesn't mean it will stop me from getting it if I determine I want to wear it.

24. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

IMHO, if you think a watch band makes you less manly you need therapy.

25. melman101 macrumors 68030

I, personally, loved it on the keynote and loved it in person. Great great band for me.