Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Milanese Loop looks terrific with a business suit. During the weekends when I'm doing more workouts or playing golf, I switch to the black sports band, which also looks great. I'll probably buy a third band at some point for more casual wear. But I don't feel that the ML is feminine.

fooyork

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
Hmm... I don't think so, but you be the judge(s).

FullSizeRender.jpg

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
Read below link from watchpro.com. Anyone think Milanese is Feminine probably have zero understanding of true history of fine watch (not history of cheap watch).
Milanese loop has existed for almost a century, if not more.

http://www.watchpro.com/13471-trends-milanese-mesh-straps/

If you look further into it there are actually many different mesh bracelet designs. Some have a coarser weave and are thicker than the others. I own many different mesh bracelets for my traditional watch collection and find that in general for thicker cased watches (like the Apple Watch) I prefer thicker mesh bracelets to balance the case physically and visually.

I was wearing my 42 SS Milanese the other day and met with my mother for a round of golf. HER first comment was that the Apple Milanese looked too "Delicate and feminine" on me. She actually happens to own and wear multiple Skaagen watches with the same style mesh bracelets...

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
If you look further into it there are actually many different mesh bracelet designs. Some have a coarser weave and are thicker than the others. I own many different mesh bracelets for my traditional watch collection and find that in general for thicker cased watches (like the Apple Watch) I prefer thicker mesh bracelets to balance the case physically and visually.

I was wearing my 42 SS Milanese the other day and met with my mother for a round of golf. HER first comment was that the Apple Milanese looked too "Delicate and feminine" on me. She actually happens to own and wear multiple Skaagen watches with the same style mesh bracelets...
I hope you kicked her ass on the course.
But from now on, when you play with your mom, switch to the black sports band. She may even give you more strokes for your nassau.

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I hope you kicked her ass on the course.
But from now on, when you play with your mom, switch to the black sports band. She may even give you more strokes for your nassau.
I beat her by 10 strokes. But she's 70 years old so...

She actually frequently beats me when we play and she still enjoys playing and often WINNING local club tournaments.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
And I bet you won't see HER WE
I beat her by 10 strokes. But she's 70 years old so...

She actually frequently beats me when we play and she still enjoys playing and often WINNING local club tournaments.
And I bet she wouldn't be caught dead being seen wearing one of those girly Milanese loop bands ...

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
And I bet you won't see HER WE

And I bet she wouldn't be caught dead being seen wearing one of those girly Milanese loop bands ...

LOL. That's actually the one that she wants. Like I said she owns multiple Skaagen watches with the same style mesh bracelets.

Wait now that you said it... Maybe she is just angling for me to give her MY watch. I think you may be onto something here.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Read below link from watchpro.com. Anyone think Milanese is Feminine probably have zero understanding of true history of fine watch (not history of cheap watch).
Milanese loop has existed for almost a century, if not more.

http://www.watchpro.com/13471-trends-milanese-mesh-straps/

Didn't the original Milanese have thicker mesh? The thicker ones including the one pictured in the link look rather masculine. In order to make the Milanese loop unisex, they made the mesh more fine.

That said, it's unisex (the Modern Buckle is the only band that's definitely feminine). Manly-looking guys can definitely pull off the Milanese loop. However, it may look feminine on effeminate guys.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
LOL. That's actually the one that she wants. Like I said she owns multiple Skaagen watches with the same style mesh bracelets.

Wait now that you said it... Maybe she is just angling for me to give her MY watch. I think you may be onto something here.
She's going to play you for that watch. I'm sure she let you win last time just to soften you up.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I was at an Apple store over the weekend and tried on 4 different watches. The SGS with a black band, a SS with leather loop, a Milanese loop and a link bracelet. Personally, I did not find the Milanese loop to be feminine at all, but it may depend on what you are wearing. Also, for me, it was more comfortable than the link bracelet (and I have hairy wrists). I've seen some comments where people said the link bracelet is comfortable, so maybe the fit wasn't the best.

Still trying to decide if the current version of the Apple watch is for me, but if I were to buy it today this would be my purchase:

Space Grey Sport with a black band
Milanese Loop
Bright Brown Leather Loop

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Hmm... I don't think so, but you be the judge(s).

View attachment 558614
Well, I definitely dont think it's more feminine than masculine, but I'm not sure it works with your T-shirt. The Milanese loop is a very elegant, formal looking band. It looks best on a tailored outfit, with a suit, or dress shirt. I would never wear it that way, but if it makes you happy that's all that matter.

Threads like these are funny because it's a subjective opinion that has sexist undertones. If the internet in the 1980s were like it is today, I can imagine threads hotly debating whether pink shirts were masculine. In the end all you're going to get is a random sampling of strangers who give you license to say "it's too feminine because a bunch of anonymous people on an Internet chat room think it is" to back up your own opinion.

jimkraz

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2007
That looks good! I'm going to be trying out some of my 24mm divers mesh bracelets using a strap adapter on my Watch.
Adapters will not take anything above 22mm on a 38mm Apple watch, should be ok with 42mm.

LD Curb

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2015
USA
I'm a woman and have the ML and thought maybe it looked too masculine! Glad to hear you think it looks feminine!! :)

Reactions: PirateP

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
UPDATE:
So I actually got a third party one from Amazon and I LOVE IT!

I don't know if this one is thicker than the Apple one but it is not feminine at all. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 208
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    875.1 KB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 201

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
UPDATE:
So I actually got a third party one from Amazon and I LOVE IT!

I don't know if this one is thicker than the Apple one but it is not feminine at all. Here's a few pics.

Yes yours is much thicker than Apple's. It looks much more like the mesh bands that they use for men's dive watches.

The Apple Milanese is more on par with that of the ultra thin Skaagen watches.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Yes yours is much thicker than Apple's. It looks much more like the mesh bands that they use for men's dive watches.

The Apple Milanese is more on par with that of the ultra thin Skaagen watches.

I really like this one... To the point that I'm not even going to think about getting the Apple version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.