Milanese scuffing watch body

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by randy98mtu, Apr 27, 2015.

1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Anyone else seeing this? Not the end of the world but a bit frustrating considering I'll be talking it off and on daily. I know it can be polished out and I can be more careful in how I put the watch on and take it off. Just wondering if others are seeing this.

Attached Files:

2. mac.cali macrumors 65816

That's just scratching the glossy finish. Try looking for a jewelry polishing cloth, that should fix it.

3. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

This was my only initial reservation/concern I had with the way they executed the Milanese Loop band. However, It will scratch regardless of this or not. Flitz or Mothers mag polish and a terry cloth towel will take care of this issue, so don't worry.

4. nyc232 macrumors newbie

Oh, please tell me this isn't so... I've just ordered the Milanese band - it's my absolute favorite. Is there anyone else that can confirm this issue? Thanks!

5. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I'll look into one of those and see how well they work. If so, this might be the easier option.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just be more careful and don't tighten it mindlessly like a drawstring trashbag. Otherwise, get the link bracelet.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

This has me wondering if I should wait on the coated black model in June. That coating would prevent these small marks.

Thanks for sharing OP. I hadn't thought of the band, depending on material, causing more or less marks.

I suppose ANY metal band would cause more marks once you sit it down to charge, etc. Sport band might be the best bet.

8. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I am definitely still working out the best way to put the watch on and remove it, but this seems inevitable. It's far from the end of the world and I know it's only minor cosmetic scuffs that can easily be cleaned up. It's hardly noticeable and certainly not changing my opinion of my watch. I still love it.

9. MCA11 macrumors newbie

Steel scuffs polished steel.

My $700 Invicta scratches itself with it's own band too.

Jewelry polish and the right cloth every few days and it will look better than when it came out of the box.

10. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

That was kind of what I figured. Any fine jewelry is likely do get this. I'll look into the polish and cloth though. Thanks!

11. nyc232 macrumors newbie

It could be a design flaw from the simple the fact that Apple needs to make Watch customizable with various bands. Look at this Omega with a Milanese band, it's connected to an end-link which will for the most part prevent the scuffs.

Attached Files:

12. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Couple more pictures so people don't panic. Almost can't see them here.

Attached Files:

13. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Holding the end up you can see it. I have found that if I balance the watch from the strap and carefully let it hang away from the strap I can put it on without the strap touching the body.

Attached Files:

14. Mark2series macrumors newbie

I did the same thing to mine with the band within the first two minutes of taking it out of the package. Now I just don't let the end piece where the magnet is get all the way up against the slot that's enclosing it and it seems to be fine.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think the link bracelet can touch the case whether it's standard or Space Black SS as the bracelet is rigid and actually forms a curved shape when it's off your wrist, meaning it won't touch even the underside.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have the milanese band, and I just put on my reading glasses to peer at my case. A couple of teeny scratches - I cannot see them without my reading glasses, and they don't bother me.

17. Mark2series macrumors newbie

Attached pic:

Attached Files:

18. seamor0512 macrumors member

well then, this is certainly alarming. I understand SS will get scratches but it shouldn't be from the watch band....

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

My watch body hasn't scratched but the magnetic end has from scarping along furniture, tables etc. but that's expected.

20. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

21. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

My wife and I both have Apple Watches with the Milanese loop.
    Neither is scratched like yours.

22. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I see a few but it doesn't bug me too much. The magnet part of the band is pretty scratched up for me already :)

23. jjlannoo Suspended

I don't see this as a issue your watch is gonna get worn looking wearing it everyday.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Why not? The band and watch are made of stainless steel and can scratch each other.

25. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

Same for me. Band has done nothing to the watch body.

Noticed a few micro marks on the magnetic end, but you can't see it unless i turn my wrist in the light and show you. Likley why they brushed it...harder to see scratches.