Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What kind of milk?

• Vitamin D

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 2%

Votes: 52 24.8%
  • Low-Fat

Votes: 25 11.9%
  • Skim Milk

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • Soy

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Chocolate Milk

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 18 8.6%
  • None

Votes: 23 11.0%

• Total voters

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Drink? Hmmm... I use whole milk on cereal and in cooking, heavy cream in my coffee, and when I just drink it, it's nothing else but the Silk Chocolate soy milk... very good stuff!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I only drink Semi Skimmed and it has to be fresh AND cold!! :)

Of course! It's a ruddy pain when there's not enough milk for cereal but the unopened stuff in the cupboard. Blech. I'd rather eat dry cereal thanks.

Also can't stand these shop-bought chocolate milkshakes. They all seem to use skimmed milk and it just tastes like water. But they likely use the cheapest ingredients.

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
yeah skimmed milk is for the devil :) or as we nickname it, bitty, like the little Britain sketch :cool:

Semi skimmed all the way, do you remember Staralised milk? My grandparents used to have it all the time!

Ours is a Semi-Skimmed milk household though.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I'm a 2% guy. I can do 1%, but skim is just too watery for me. I don't know the last time I've had whole milk, if ever. And chocolate milk is the best!

However, I think that I might be lactose intolerant, at least to some extent. My body doesn't particularly care to properly break down the enzymes anymore. ):

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I detest milk. More specifically, I detest what passes for milk these days...

I grew up with fresh, local milk delivery by a milkman - 6 glass pints. Rich, delicious and nutritious - I even had to scoop off cream...

I get my soy milked straight from the friggin bean. I just squeeze those little beans until milk comes out. No milk glands? F*** that.

L

Lau

I still hate Margaret Thatcher for stopping the free milk we had at school. :mad:

As far as I'm concerned, it was the only good thing Thatcher ever did. The only thing I hate more than milk is warm, creamy school milk. I even have a phobia of posh cocktails with little straws in them because they're like the school milk straws. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As a Norwegian friend of mine said to me recently, "I like the calories I eat to be good calories", in other words, full, fat, creamy milk, butter and cheese.

Anyway, I grew up drinking good whole milk and loved it, the stuff that left a white moustache on your upper lip, and tasted really wonderful. Then the small local dairies got taken over by larger regional outfits, the milk became standardised (and utterly tasteless). Despite this, I still drank, and drink, only whole milk; the other stuff is completely insipid and totally tasteless.

Actually, I had forgotten how delicious good milk can taste until I attended an organic food fair in the UK twice over the past two years while visiting dear friends in Bristol. This was so good that I cheerfully abandoned the free booze samples (local beers, microbrewery beers, cider, some of it excellent) in favour of further dashes back to the organic milk stalls where I devoured pints of the stuff. Since then, not only do I still drink whole milk, I hunt out organic (and farmer fresh, if I can find it) milk whenever and wherever I can. Not always easy, but almost invariably delicious. Cheers.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
As far as I'm concerned, it was the only good thing Thatcher ever did. The only thing I hate more than milk is warm, creamy school milk. I even have a phobia of posh cocktails with little straws in them because they're like the school milk straws. ;)

Same at our place. I can still remember that horrific, almost cardboardy taste. That wasn't milk. No wai.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
2% or chocolate milk. But I can drink 1% too, it doesn't really matter to me, as long as it is one of those three :p

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
I drink 2% and use it in my cereals, but I will use Skim milk as an ingredient in things (including cereals) if it's available. Won't drink it straight, though. Whole milk also disgusts me quite a bit.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
As a Norwegian friend of mine said to me recently, "I like the calories I eat to be good calories", in other words, full, fat, creamy milk, butter and cheese.
:)

Actually, I had forgotten how delicious good milk can taste until I attended an organic food fair in the UK twice over the past two years while visiting dear friends in Bristol. This was so good that I cheerfully abandoned the free booze samples (local beers, microbrewery beers, cider, some of it excellent) in favour of further dashes back to the organic milk stalls where I devoured pints of the stuff. Since then, not only do I still drink whole milk, I hunt out organic (and farmer fresh, if I can find it) milk whenever and wherever I can. Not always easy, but almost invariably delicious. Cheers.
Funny how we forget and adapt to what is available.

Nothing like good whole milk.

2 percent and bowl of ceral to start my day.
For cereal and the like, it's 3.5% for this kid. I am allowed that exception. The rest of the time it's 1.5% for drinking.

... Although sometimes I get the cartons confused because of the Japanese labeling. You don't buy it? Well, neither does my wife. :eek:

But it's my story and I'm sticking with it. :p

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Just for reference, Whole milk in the USA is 3%.
Are you sure about that?

Is there a law or regulations governing this?

Why do I ask? Well whole milk butterfat content based upon milk cow can very depending on the herd composition.

Here in Japan, you can get milk up to 4.7% -- at least that is the highest that I have seen so far.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I get my soy milked straight from the friggin bean. I just squeeze those little beans until milk comes out. No milk glands? F*** that.

They used to call me Old MacDonald up at the soy bean milking farm. But the little udders! They're so hard to locate...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I love milk. I can easily go through a gallon a day. (And I have, though my parents don't like it when I do that. :eek:)

2% here, though for some reason my mom refuses to drink that and buys whole for herself.:rolleyes:

macmama

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2006
New Jersey

Ditto. Cow's milk is specified for baby cows, who grow rapidly and have four stomachs in which to digest this perfect food for them.

I think cow's milk is okay for children, especially picky ones who might be lacking in nutrients from other foods (after they stop drinking the milk designed for our own species, that is), but is overkill for adults. I get my protein and calcium elsewhere.

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
Now mostly 1.5% milk.

Been slowly weaning myself from whole milk that I drank when I was a kid. Worked on a dairy farm. Free milk -- as much as we wanted. That was truly whole milk. No pasteurization or any treatment. Just straight from the cow. Yum! :)

Most people will turn up their nose at that, but I agree. Milk straight from the cow is a completely different experience, one in which I can enjoy from time to time (not all that often, though)

As for my milk, I was raised on Whole, but drink 2% when I buy it myself, but have no real preference between the two (just making a slightly healthier choice)

Also, I LOVE chocolate milk (Hershey's syrup or Ovaltine) but I refuse to use anything less than whole or 2% with it because it doesn't blend/taste properly for my liking.

Man, THAT was a buzzkill! :(

I've never heard anything negative about dairy products except for the "Lactose Intolerant" type? I had no idea, I kinda feel dirty because I am a dairy addict. :eek:

I love drinking milk but I don't drink 1/4 of the amount I drank growing up. Grew up on 2%, met my wife and switched to Skim (<.5%) because "it has all the vitamins and none of the fat". :rolleyes:

As for chocolate milk, it's great, sometimes. If I do drink chocolate milk, I make it myself. That store-bought crap is WAY too rich... I gotta cut it with reg milk... ;)

I don't really care what kind of milk it is: Whole, 2%, skim, chocolate, 1%, goat, gorilla, camel... Whatever, milk just goes so good with "heavier" meals. I rarely drink it without food which reminds me, I realized from this thread that I don't eat enough cereal anymore. I only buy a box or two every year!?! :confused: :eek:

Great thread...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.