Ming-Chi Kuo Casts Doubt on iPhone SE 2, Expects Few Changes Should New Model Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2018.

1. freezelighter macrumors 6502

freezelighter

I would pay up to 2500$ for the new iPhone SE X.
    The price doesnt matter at all.
    Only size matters.
    Apple should stop making insanely huge phablets and concentrate on normal sizes like 3,5-4 inch!

2. partydorm macrumors member

partydorm

SE is a masterpiece of design, integrate the latest hardware with an in-display fingerprint sensor will make a perfect new model.

3. Allpaul macrumors newbie

No way does this guy own an iPhone X.

4. MartyvH, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018

MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

And that's not around today, it was about the first in the iPod range to be discontinued. The appeal was temporary, sadly. Although I suspect that there is more interest in the SE.

What are we going to do, with all this big news in phones? Stick with our neat SEs. :D

5. untitledartists macrumors newbie

I like my SE a lot !
    I will never buy a bigger phone like this. I would even prefer a 4(s) form factor!
    And it is not that expensive. So lost, stolen, damaged, broken is a minor problem compared to IP8 or IPX.
    For 800/1000$ I can buy a SE AND an IPad! Even an IPad Pro!
    Which makes - at least for me - much more sense.

6. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Future entry-level iPhone models will presumably be based on the 5.5" iPhone 6/7/8 form factor.

7. Woyzeck macrumors 6502

The SE is the most reasonable product Apple offered for years. The cost equals its value, while the other iPhones are much too expensive for what they add to the SE‘s features.

Besides that the design is so much better than that of those phablets.

8. ChrisCW11 macrumors 65816

Pre-quarterly results, OMG Apple will release iPhone SE, post quarterly results, naw, not so much. So lets face it, this "analyst" doesn't know **** about **** when it comes to what Apple is doing next, so why does he get any press coverage?

How about MacRumors up the quality of their rumor-mongering at least and stop reporting anything this guy says.

9. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

Really? He is rarely wrong.

He predicted countless products from Apple which turned out to be true

10. Coco Nuts macrumors member

Coco Nuts

Wow, bad cut and paste MacRumors! It's wrong in 2 recent articles now. The old ones were 16GB and 64GB, doubled to 32GB and 128GB.

11. apolloa macrumors G4

That just reads like a long list of excuses...
    I mean it is the richest company on the planet I believe, yet it’s competitors are able to make more, hell Samsung builds ships!! And still releases new phones all the time..
    Apple TV has been around for years as have all its other products, only its push to original content is new, so it is reaching to claim they lack resources to make more then one phone a year!

12. messycheese macrumors newbie

messycheese

hate to hear thing. I am big time fan of iPhone 5s and seeing SE put all the iphone 5 lover to joy. I was expecting that this year iphone will release the iphone se 2. but at the same time I also think that iphone se can is capable to run all of the apps which is great. If se 2 won't be released I will buy I phone se 1.

13. luxetlibertas macrumors newbie

I have a iPhone SE and it will be 2020 before I will buy a new one. So for me, no hurry.

Could it be that Apple is hurt by the overheated labor market in the SF area? Maybe the should build a headquarter in India, lots of talent. Might even grease some wheels there.

14. modstyle macrumors newbie

modstyle

I am firmly in the "subset of customers" who enjoys the size of this phone over the available features of all the other iPhones. I love my 4"!! After waiting this long for an update, I was really expecting, hoping for a total makeover. I'll see what materializes this year to decide what if any iPhone I upgrade to.

15. Digger148 macrumors regular

Digger148

Just upgrade the processor (the A11 would be epic, but, I'll settle for the A10) and offer a (Product)Red and one of the black finishes from the iPhone 7. I"ll take 2.

Oh, and as a bonus, go back to the high-polished edges of the iPhone 5s.

16. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Apple has more than enough resources to refresh a budget model.
    If they won't, it's because they don't want to, not because they can't.
    That's a conscious decision.

17. RealityM macrumors member

RealityM

Deja vu all over again. Remember the Mac SE/30 from 1989?
    http://lowendmac.com/1989/mac-se30/

This listed for $4900 for the hard drive model. $4400 with floppies only.

[​IMG]

18. Sevendaymelee macrumors 6502

Sevendaymelee

They should just offer the flagship in a smaller size. I'd like to have a 3.5in iPhone again myself. The 4in phone makes the thumb extend slightly too far for comfort and turning it landscape is uncomfortable as well compared to the 3.5in design.

Steve Jobs knew what he was doing with 3.5in phones. It's the most perfect size for one hand use and landscape tying.

19. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

It disappeared for different reasons, particularly the discontinuation of the tiny hard disks found in them. There is plenty of demand for a smaller screen phone though and no shortage of components.

20. RumoursReader macrumors newbie

iPhone SE is the perfect phone. If Apple refuse to make a small phone I will run this little SE to its death.

I could afford the X if it wanted to, but I don't feel compelled to.

Apple prefer it if you drop your new fully -glass iPhone, so you have to pay for the repairs (or at the very least the Applecare subscription).

I know you get what you pay for, but at this point Apple are just greedy. I used to feel there was part of them that was on the consumer's side, but now they just feel like another money grabbing corporation. And at that point I may as well turn to the competition.

Slashing iPhone X manufacturing in half; they're reaping what they sowed.

21. freezelighter macrumors 6502

freezelighter

+100500

22. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

Odds are that it will have few changes if it launches. There are no big new features anymore. Different manufacturers are releasing phones that look and function almost the same. Changes are only incremental. Wireless charging? That's admin. Does it justify a new thousand-dollar phone? We are highly likely to be at peak smartphone:

https://amp.smh.com.au/business/con...-samsung-going-to-do-now-20180202-h0t2hy.html

Originally from the Washington Post.

What people are saying here about simply keeping their current SE has a lot going for it. A new model would mainly be for the loss of a functioning phone.

Cord charging has no pain for me. I haven't even turned on my SE's fingerprint scanner yet. Pressing the button really does do the job up to now. Apple Pay? My card is easy to flip out.

23. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

I'll be quite disappointed if Apple doesn't keep the SE's smaller form factor in the product line. They were smart enough finally to bring the SE to market after enough people indicated the phumongous phablets were not our cuppa tea... I don't know anyone who bought an SE who regrets the purchase. What's it to Apple if some of us prefer a smaller smartphone? Maintaining some variant of the SE is not going to cannibalize their high end because we've already voted against the bigger phones.

I went for an iPad Pro when I finally upgraded from my old iPad, and since I carry that around with me most of the time, I'm perfectly willing to revert to a flip phone when my SE dies if Apple is only going to offer smartphones like the 8 and the X. Those are not for me, I don't care for the size. I was a perfectly happy camper with the 5C and then found bliss with the the SE and the latter market ain't dead yet even as our SEs continue now to fall behind the cutting edge.

Seems to me a keep-alive SE upgrade would be mostly gravy to Apple anyway. Slap a newer chip in there and be done with it. I'll take a Product(RED) one...

24. december macrumors member

For you.

25. blairh macrumors 68040

blairh

For most of us mate. Apple would be much better off keeping the SE size but making the screen larger.