Ming-Chi Kuo Casts Doubt on iPhone SE 2, Expects Few Changes Should New Model Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Yep, just like the Mac Mini - no need to update them for years and years and years and ...

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

It's irrelevant of what I think as I don't cater for everyone... , but ya,, i reckon 4 is too many.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Right? Every other smaller company seems to be able to!

4. GTO Suspended

GTO

I hope they keep the SE form factor exactly as is, including the headphone jack. Absolutely love the SE,

5. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Apple still sells it because people are still buying it, period.

6. Alch3mist, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

Alch3mist macrumors member

Alch3mist

Iphone SE IIc (Throwback)

[​IMG]

7. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

8. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

You’re selling yourself short.:D

9. Ritodee macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2018 ---
    Anyone who thinks it is faster to enter the code than to use face id must NOT have an iphone x. The face id is almost instant, there is no way you could type in a code instantly. New technology requires learning new methods to use the phone. I buy the new iphone each year since the original lauch, and the iphone x is without a doubt the most superior iphone ever created. Yeah, it costs a little bit more, what 15 bucks a month more on my annual replacement plan. Well worth it, well worth it.

10. HarryWild, Jan 29, 2018

HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

The article states that Apple just does not have the resources currently to bring out 4 new iPhones models. But Chinese and India manufacturers that are 1/100 the size of Apple can do 10 new model smartphones every year! Why is Apple's limited only 3 new models iPhones?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2018 ---
    It not like it cutting edge technology they are doing! It two or three year old Apple iPhone components they are installing. the SE2! They are smaller in size!

11. MartyvH, Jan 29, 2018

MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

I come from Androidland and had Android phones for 6 years until last September. Right now it's wall-to-wall giant phones over there. When you're on a good thing (the SE), stick to it. The attractive features in new phones are only incremental now. Performance is ample in the SE. There is no upgrade out there to look for. We know there are 3 new iPhone models coming and they are gigantic. They are not a new SE. Sit tight.

Edit: added to

12. UL2RA Suspended

The current Mac Pro is an example of them completely ignoring the entire Pro market. Not updating the Mac Pro for years at a time while continuing to charge the same price point is also not good. There's nothing to really defend there.

13. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

The difference is Apple custom designs a lot of their own chips and uses a lot of semi-custom silicon. They probably spend 10x more than competitors to get that extra 10% performance.

This is why when you Google for the chip part numbers in any iPhone, there is no datasheet for them. Apple orders a lot of semi-custom silicon. Most competitors use off the shelf sensors, power management IC, and rely on Qualcomm.

14. UL2RA Suspended

I would totally switch to an edge to edge SE if it were the same size. My tiny Trump hands prefer smaller phones. The X is just a teensy bit too big for me.

15. Askolan Suspended

I have Apple stock, albeit a small amount, but I still don't want it lower. But the Apple as of late is different than the Apple I invested in years ago. Cook needs to wake up and smell the freakin coffee. He is too scared of Icahn and these other activist investors and is just making stupid decisions. On the other hand, you do know how Jobs felt about Wall st, right?

16. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

I would too in time, if it was there. But it's not like 2011 anymore when smartphones were just pretend smartphones. They really do the job now with ample performance and storage.

17. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Apple spends a lot of their resources on iOS, tvOS, and WatchOS. Other manufacturers rely on Google.

Apple also spends a lot of R&D on semi-custom silicon. Other manufacturers rely on Qualcomm.

Then there are Apple services including iCloud, Maps, Music, TV.

The smartphone will mature within the next decade just like the PC did several years ago. Apple is putting out 3 phones this year but even if they decided to put out 6, it won't make much of a difference. Apple is targeting mind share, not market share.

18. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

Ming just guesses every possible combination, and just like a broken clock being right twice a day, goes on to claim that she is some great diviner of Apple's plans.

19. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

6.1" LCD, 3GB RAM, and no 3D Touch seems very specific to me.

No SE2 for Q2'18 is also a very specific prediction.

20. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

So buy the iPhone SE 1.

21. makingdots macrumors 6502

No way I would get a smaller phone after having the 8 Plus. Maybe just don't shove your preference to everyone?

22. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

iPhone SE is a niche relative to Apple’s other offerings. Part of the appeal, I would have to guess, is the now-iconic look of the iPhone 4 and 5 with updated tech. A higher res screen, better camera and processor are likely good bets. But a substantial aesthetic change would defeat the point. It’s the iPhone equivalent to the iPod classic.

23. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

They certainly could refresh the SE if they wanted to, but Apple rarely wastes much time and precious resources on the lower-end stuff that comes at a lower cost to consumers. It might get spec bumped at some point eventually, but it's never going to be a high priority.

24. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Look at the primary market for SE. It’s India, Indonesia and other SE Asian countries.

Apple’s market share in India remains at 2.5%. The country is simply not ready for a refreshed and more expensive SE. Apple’s goal is to continue to drive down the cost of SE. A refresh doesn’t serve that purpose.

The consumers looking for a small 4” is a small minority. The top selling iPhone in India is SE not because the people there have a strange liking for small phones. It’s becuse of cost. Apple is looking to raise ASPs. They can’t do that with small phones nor is there a market.

25. Grey Area macrumors regular

Same here, I replaced my broken Android with an SE primarily due to the size, and the update policy second. The differences between the operating systems are negligible to me, and otherwise I slightly prefer Android (more interesting hardware choices, expandable memory, no iTunes). But the Androids are all getting way too big now, and the iPhones may be heading there, too. It is frustrating, and I hope it is just a fad.