Ming-Chi Kuo Expects Upgraded AirPods to Launch in Mid to Late 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 19, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple will release an upgraded version of AirPods in the second half of 2018, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

[​IMG]

An excerpt from Kuo's latest research note, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors:
    Kuo said one internal change on the second-generation AirPods will include a "smaller quartz component," but he didn't provide any further details about new outward-facing features or improvements to expect.

Kuo said the new AirPods will continue to be assembled by Taiwanese manufacturer Inventec, with individual components supplied by fellow Taiwanese companies such as Unitech, Compeq, TXC, and HLJ.

Apple will also be releasing a new inductive AirPods charging case that will enable the wireless earphones to be charged with its new AirPower charging mat, which it said launches at some point in 2018.

Apple teased the AirPower mat at its iPhone X event back in September. It will be able to charge the Apple Watch Series 3, an iPhone X or iPhone 8 model, and AirPods inside the new charging case simultaneously.

[​IMG]

As for the current AirPods, Kuo said Apple's suppliers are unable to make them quick enough to fully satisfy what he believes is robust holiday season demand, which likely explains why AirPods are sold out until January.

Kuo, who keeps a close eye on Apple's supply chain in Asia, said Apple has recruited Luxshare to help make AirPods, but RF printed-circuit boards for AirPods batteries are proving to be a key production bottleneck.

Kuo also reiterated his estimate that AirPods shipments will double in 2018 to 26-28 million units on a year-over-year basis, suggesting Apple will have sold around 13-14 million AirPods worldwide by the end of this year.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Expects Upgraded AirPods to Launch in Mid to Late 2018

2. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I would love a black/SG pair to match my iPhone X.

3. JaySoul macrumors 68030

JaySoul

Great first effort at AirPods.

Can't wait for the upgraded ones, hopefully it drowns out the outside world.

4. itsmilo macrumors 68010

itsmilo

Not gonna lie. When i got mine i was first disappointed that they do not automatically play from whatever iDevice i hit play on. Even my Sony ones did that (up to 3 devices i think). However i used to live with it.

5. RecentlyConverted macrumors 6502

Better sound and noise cancelling and I’m in.

6. cmaier macrumors G4

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

What I want in AirPods 2:

- Wireless charging case included (hopefully that works on the same Qi charger for iPhone, but it might be too small for that.)
    - Touch strip to allow for more precise controls on device. Slide up to increase volume, slide down to decrease. Keep the double tap controls, maybe add a single tap option to the top or bottom for next/previous.

Other than that, improved sound quality. I'm quite happy with everything else, even battery, though I guess battery on each individual AirPod could be improved. The case battery has been fine for me, I charge about once a week.

8. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

If they do this, I hope they a version without the noise cancellation. One of my favorite things about the AirPods is that I am not oblivious to the outside world while wearing them. I really like they I can still hear people trying to get my attention when I’m wearing them.

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Sub $200 products from Apple hard to get (try finding a 64GB :apple:TV 4K somewhere too) at Christmas time. These "little" gift (stocking stuffers?) being in short-to-no supply seems odd for a company with mastery of supply chains. Still ready to pounce on another 64GB :apple:TV 4K if one (new) could be found somewhere.

10. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Soft earbuds and noise cancellation would be my top wants.

11. HobeSoundDarryl, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    "Noise cancelling" doesn't cancel all noise- just repetitive noise (like the steady noise of a jet engine). Human voices are not canceled.

Update: since posting this, I've had enough replies to cast this particular confidence in doubt. So, in my own experience with Bose QC headphones, noise cancelling does not cancel out human voices. Yes, everything is quieter with ears covered, but my own ears can still hear people talking (muffled, not as clear as uncovered ears) even with the noise cancel circuit is on and basically "removing" something like the drone of an airplane engine. Apparently others have experiences where noise canceling actually cancels up to all noise. That's not my own experience with NC, nor have I ever read that in any reviews for any NC headphone devices.

12. Nozuka macrumors 68000

pretty sure the airpods success are exceeding everyones expectations. apple must be thrilled.

i wish they would release a "sport" version.

13. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

I put some universal headphone foam tips on my AirPods and was surprised at the difference. There's much more noise cancellation and the bass is much deeper. I can even leave them on when I put them in the case. Not a bad return on a $2 investment.

14. votdfak macrumors regular

votdfak

I love my Airpods. Transparency and SQ is fine by me, I definitely need to hear surroundings when I am walking or riding bicycle. I don't need NC, what i would like is few more gestures, more stable connectivity, availability out of the gate, and that's about it.

15. emdub macrumors newbie

emdub

This has been my top purchase of 2017. I have never used headphones as much... and I've had everything from the original beats, to bluetooth gym models, the Bose Quiet Confort (I still use these on planes) etc etc.

16. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

I love my Airpods. Wireless charging and louder/noise cancellation would be great.

17. triangletechie macrumors regular

I hope there's a slight redesign. I tried the original Airpods but no matter what I did, they hurt my ears after limited use.

18. JimmyBanks6 macrumors member

JimmyBanks6

New noise cancelling headphones do manage to cancel some non-white noise.

Bose Quietcontrol 30 neckbuds my mother inlaw got me for christmas last year, I've always been amazed just how fast they process sound and cancel, the modern tech is much much improved over older tech.

I wear them at work and I've had my supervisor come talk to me and I can't make out anything he says when they are in when he speaks at a normal office tone. You can hear words but they're muffled enough by the active cancellation that they're jumbled and hard to define.

19. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

20. Boatboy24 macrumors 6502a

Better sound quality. While, admittedly, I haven't listened to them, I've read they are 'better' then the ear pods. Those never sounded very good to me at all. I've tried a few other pairs and haven't loved them either. So even though I have an AW, I'm still using my phone and Bose Soundsports when running.

21. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

Bluetooth 5.0 please to along with my iPhone X :D

22. mozumder macrumors 6502a

Why was noise-canceling not included in the first-generation? It has all the hardware for it.

23. makingdots, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017

makingdots macrumors 6502

... and my space gray apple watch.
    Space gray color please? I mean the current space gray color of iPhone 8 and X.

24. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I said no to these over and over until a few months ago I just said what the heck and well, why did I wait so long. Not sure what's next but I have no complaints at the moment. Battery life can be better on the ear pods themselves no complaints on the overall package for battery life. With the charging case I get plenty of time.

If I were to ask for anything, maybe stop people looking at me funny when I wear these shopping. Maybe I'm paranoid but I swear people are looking at me funny with these in my ears. I still do it anyhow.

25. NeuralControl macrumors 6502a

I just recently decided that I would put holiday gift cards towards AirPods. I wonder just how late into 2018 the next generation will be released.