Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
It won't happen but I wish they would have some with soft tips like earbuds and space gray or black model.

partyboy4357

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2017

Apple will release an upgraded version of AirPods in the second half of 2018, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

airpods.jpg

An excerpt from Kuo's latest research note, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors:Kuo said one internal change on the second-generation AirPods will include a "smaller quartz component," but he didn't provide any further details about new outward-facing features or improvements to expect.

Kuo said the new AirPods will continue to be assembled by Taiwanese manufacturer Inventec, with individual components supplied by fellow Taiwanese companies such as Unitech, Compeq, TXC, and HLJ.

Apple will also be releasing a new inductive AirPods charging case that will enable the wireless earphones to be charged with its new AirPower charging mat, which it said launches at some point in 2018.

Apple teased the AirPower mat at its iPhone X event back in September. It will be able to charge the Apple Watch Series 3, an iPhone X or iPhone 8 model, and AirPods inside the new charging case simultaneously.

airpower-charging-mat.jpg

As for the current AirPods, Kuo said Apple's suppliers are unable to make them quick enough to fully satisfy what he believes is robust holiday season demand, which likely explains why AirPods are sold out until January.

Kuo, who keeps a close eye on Apple's supply chain in Asia, said Apple has recruited Luxshare to help make AirPods, but RF printed-circuit boards for AirPods batteries are proving to be a key production bottleneck.

Kuo also reiterated his estimate that AirPods shipments will double in 2018 to 26-28 million units on a year-over-year basis, suggesting Apple will have sold around 13-14 million AirPods worldwide by the end of this year.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Expects Upgraded AirPods to Launch in Mid to Late 2018

How is it that APPLE can't make enough of these when they've been out for a year esp with Christmas demand. Sounds like some poor supply chain/manufacturing management.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The Bose QC30 uses microphones to detect sound and actively blocks it, this is how proper noise canceling works. What you are referring to- physically blocking sound is called noise isolation which is what in-ear buds provide by creating a seal around your ear canal.

Sure seems like it to me because I have noise cancelling, and noise blocking headphones, and it seems much much more prevalent on the noise cancelling, but I could be wrong.

OK guys, I have Bose QC15 (over ear and not in ear 30s) and I am not sharing in your experiences. Yes, perhaps a newer generation has significantly improved over the 15s (or perhaps it's some gain (loss) with the in-ear vs. over ear nature of those), but my own experience is that everything is obviously quieter (because my ears are blocked) but the noise cancelling functionality is mostly working on the steady sounds (like airplane engines). Turn off noise canceling and everything is still quieter (than exposed ears) but off or on- changing sounds like voices get through (to my ears anyway). Now granted- not like it is when ears are uncovered, but whether Noise Canceling is on or off, such sounds are hearable(?) for me.

Further granted: maybe the 30s take it to a whole other level and the NC circuitry is canceling out everything. However, I believe the 30s also have an adjustable noise canceling meter (where you can set your own level) while the QC15s are just some default chosen by Bose.

rishic89

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2017
TEXAS
I put some universal headphone foam tips on my AirPods and was surprised at the difference. There's much more noise cancellation and the bass is much deeper. I can even leave them on when I put them in the case. Not a bad return on a $2 investment.
Link me!

kruegdude

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
I put some universal headphone foam tips on my AirPods and was surprised at the difference. There's much more noise cancellation and the bass is much deeper. I can even leave them on when I put them in the case. Not a bad return on a $2 investment.
You must have an awfully small head.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Black or space gray AirPods would probably be a bigger revelation than any other minor improvements. Of course improved sound quality would be appreciated by most people because the current ones definitely could use it.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
wish they’d tune their mics to allow less ambient sounds when on a voice call/FT. everyone i talk to says they can hear every little thing around me...and i’d appreciate a mode where voice is overly accentuated over ambient sounds.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego

Apple will release an upgraded version of AirPods in the second half of 2018, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

airpods.jpg

An excerpt from Kuo's latest research note, a copy of which was obtained by MacRumors:Kuo said one internal change on the second-generation AirPods will include a "smaller quartz component," but he didn't provide any further details about new outward-facing features or improvements to expect.

Kuo said the new AirPods will continue to be assembled by Taiwanese manufacturer Inventec, with individual components supplied by fellow Taiwanese companies such as Unitech, Compeq, TXC, and HLJ.

Apple will also be releasing a new inductive AirPods charging case that will enable the wireless earphones to be charged with its new AirPower charging mat, which it said launches at some point in 2018.

Apple teased the AirPower mat at its iPhone X event back in September. It will be able to charge the Apple Watch Series 3, an iPhone X or iPhone 8 model, and AirPods inside the new charging case simultaneously.

airpower-charging-mat.jpg

As for the current AirPods, Kuo said Apple's suppliers are unable to make them quick enough to fully satisfy what he believes is robust holiday season demand, which likely explains why AirPods are sold out until January.

Kuo, who keeps a close eye on Apple's supply chain in Asia, said Apple has recruited Luxshare to help make AirPods, but RF printed-circuit boards for AirPods batteries are proving to be a key production bottleneck.

Kuo also reiterated his estimate that AirPods shipments will double in 2018 to 26-28 million units on a year-over-year basis, suggesting Apple will have sold around 13-14 million AirPods worldwide by the end of this year.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Expects Upgraded AirPods to Launch in Mid to Late 2018
[doublepost=1513712195][/doublepost]Two things about these things:
1. My ear canal shape makes all apple esrbuds fall out with the slightest head movement
2. From a ‘look’ perspective, they are the google glass of apple products. You look like you have q tips in your ears! Lol

deg0ey

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2015
Obviously the best solution would be switchable cancellation.

This does indeed seem like the best solution from a user perspective, but seems like it might be tricky (read: expensive) to implement on a device that size.

To me, it's a matter of what's appropriate for the product in question. If I want the most portable product that I can just wedge in my ears and forget about, or a product where I can hear the traffic around me so I don't get knocked off my bike, I'll use my AirPods. If I want to block out irritating background noise (plane, train, office etc) and/or have a better sound quality I'll use my Bose QC35s. If I want the best possible sound quality and don't need to worry about portability I'll use the speaker system in my living room.

Obviously it would be ideal to have one device that covers every use case, but the inherent compromises required to achieve these different goals means it's very difficult if not completely impossible.

AT&T representative

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2015
Aripods certainly have become a necessity for me although, I’m always nervous about losing them. I’d like to keep a backup around but the price is pretty steep. A second generation would be very convincing and justify the cost. Hopefully they’ll improve the battery life.

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
I wonder if Apple could implement volume control into existing airpods by utilising the charging connections on the bottom of AirPod.

Stay with me here...

There are two metal terminals separated by an insulated material, if you touch your finger across the terminals a small amount of electrical resistance could be measured, much like capacitance touchscreens.
The airpods send their battery charge level to the iPhone, so if they see a spike or fluctuation in the charge level within the parameters of a human finger touching it, the airpods could then tell the iPhone to turn up or down the volume depending on which airpods is touched until the finger is released.

It’s probably obvious I’m not an electrical engineer! Just thought that would be a cool way to have volume control and tap controls on existing airpods. Just by doing a software update :)
The last AirPods article prompted a commenter to suggest long-touching the left unit to increase the volume, and the right unit to decrease the volume. That seems like the most reliable method of volume control.

Manual volume control is the biggest feature missing from AirPods. Siri commands are too disruptive to be useful.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
The last AirPods article prompted a commenter to suggest long-touching the left unit to increase the volume, and the right unit to decrease the volume. That seems like the most reliable method of volume control.

Manual volume control is the biggest feature missing from AirPods. Siri commands are too disruptive to be useful.
I think the problem with this is false positives/phantom touches - this is probably the same reason they only have double tap gestures instead of single tap.

Honestly if they just made the option to double tap for volume and triple tap to reach Siri/Pause/Skip/whatever that would be good enough for me.

libmanj

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
What I'd like most of all for the AirPods version 2: touch controls that can handle volume, track forward/back, and start/stop. Also, I'd like some kind of bluetooth tracking within the case that function the same way Find My iPhone does for the phone.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
guessing better sound will be the focus I imagine. love my current air pods. best product I have bought in years

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014

Wow! Only Rocket-scientist Ming could make a prediction like that, that a first release of something with see a second improved release and it might be a year after the first release.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The brain works in mysterious ways.... I was scrolling down the MR page and saw the AirPods.... suddenly I asked myself "Apple makes hair dryers now?"

:p
[doublepost=1513721854][/doublepost]
Sub $200 products from Apple hard to get (try finding a 64GB :apple:TV 4K somewhere too) at Christmas time. These "little" gift (stocking stuffers?) being in short-to-no supply seems odd for a company with mastery of supply chains. Still ready to pounce on another 64GB :apple:TV 4K if one (new) could be found somewhere.

$200 stocking stuffers? Oh, how I wish I lived in your world...

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013

But doesn’t the accelerometer inside the AirPod only measure acceleration? A long tap/touch would still only register as a single tap.
Unless you can keep the AirPod continuously accelerating, it wouldn’t register any further input?

Gameboy70

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2011
Santa Monica, CA
But doesn’t the accelerometer inside the AirPod only measure acceleration? A long tap/touch would still only register as a single tap.
Unless you can keep the AirPod continuously accelerating, it wouldn’t register any further input?
Hmm. It didn’t occur to me that the taps were being picked up by the accelerometer. I guess the metal tips are the best bet after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.