Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm on vacation and just can't let this go.

I just don't understand how this is going to work. Sometimes in the winter I'll have a hat and mask or scarf on. Sometimes I wear sunglasses, other times I wear regular glasses, and occasionally I'll wear contacts. Some days I'll have a long beard, other days I'll cut it off. Sometimes I use my phone in complete darkness. I like being able to click the TouchID as I pull it out of my pocket and it's ready to go. I don't have to make sure I frame up my face. Women often wear different types of makeup. Some people are performance artists and wear heavy makeup or face paint. Some people have really dark skin which lacks contrast. Other people get really sweaty easily and have really shiny faces sometimes. Some people have long hair styles that obscure a lot of their face. Others have piercings that they change out or tattooes that are added. What about if you pull it out in the rain, since the iPhone is now water resistant, and there is water drops over the camera? I feel like to get this as good as TouchID it needs to be able to see my face before I lift it, have infrared sensors for the dark, and depth sensors to ignore facial surface changes, and some type of penetrating sensor for clothing and hair, while ignoring rain and whatever else might obscure the camera such as smudges. I don't think that's currently possible, or could ever be possible for a phone to scan your face before it can see it because logic.

Another thing I don't see people really talk about is activating Siri. Do we just have to say "Hey Siri!" all the time now? What about people with disabilities using the text to Siri interface in iOS 11? Or people who have spoken Siri disabled for the same reason they can't talk out loud?

I'm starting to get worried about the rear Touch ID again. If that happens, then there is absolutely no doubt left that we are in the darkest timeline!

Reactions: ges

rennett.Timo

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
No Touch ID
Don't be panic.

Maybe he want to mention to any advanced tech that we've never heard about. This tech will surprise us all. lols

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
7s or 7s+ will still be a choice
I understand they won't be as cool as the new bezel free model, but I'm confident they'll have the same SoC and same camera
And still likely to have wireless charging with glass back from all reports.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
And still likely to have wireless charging with glass back from all reports.

I don't care about wireless charging but it would be a nice add for some people, and I think it will make it to the 7s.
S versions are usually better than the previous year's models in terms of SoC and camera, so we can expect 7s to share almost every new feature with iPhone 8 except the design and the OLED display. Those two features alone are compelling enough to justify a price increase for the new model.

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
My work requires Airwatch on my iPhone to access my work emails, calendar, contacts etc., which requires a strong password on my iPhone. Without TouchID, I can't even think of having a strong password on my phone. I hope this rumor turns out to be false.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

I just don't understand how this is going to work. Sometimes in the winter I'll have a hat and mask or scarf on. Sometimes I wear sunglasses, other times I wear regular glasses, and occasionally I'll wear contacts. Some days I'll have a long beard, other days I'll cut it off. Sometimes I use my phone in complete darkness. I like being able to click the TouchID as I pull it out of my pocket and it's ready to go. I don't have to make sure I frame up my face. Women often wear different types of makeup. Some people are performance artists and wear heavy makeup or face paint. Some people have really dark skin which lacks contrast. Other people get really sweaty easily and have really shiny faces sometimes. Some people have long hair styles that obscure a lot of their face. Others have piercings that they change out or tattooes that are added. What about if you pull it out in the rain, since the iPhone is now water resistant, and there is water drops over the camera? I feel like to get this as good as TouchID it needs to be able to see my face before I lift it, have infrared sensors for the dark, and depth sensors to ignore facial surface changes, and some type of penetrating sensor for clothing and hair, while ignoring rain and whatever else might obscure the camera such as smudges. I don't think that's currently possible, or could ever be possible for a phone to scan your face before it can see it because logic.

Another thing I don't see people really talk about is activating Siri. Do we just have to say "Hey Siri!" all the time now? What about people with disabilities using the text to Siri interface in iOS 11? Or people who have spoken Siri disabled for the same reason they can't talk out loud?

I'm starting to get worried about the rear Touch ID again. If that happens, then there is absolutely no doubt left that we are in the darkest timeline!
You are really over thinking this

If this 3D tech is as good as they are saying then it will work with all those things and in terms of Siri there will still be a home button. It just won't be a fingerprint reader

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
I don't see anything I said that is the least bit insulting. All I said is I found the article odd and inaccurate. I said nothing at all about the author insulting or otherwise.

"Ben Loveboy?" Sounded like an insult to me. Unless it was an honest typo, but that would be an interesting typo since you typically use your right index for "j" and your left index for "b" (and the keys are not as close together as they appear to be).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
"Ben Loveboy?" Sounded like an insult to me. Unless it was an honest typo, but that would be an interesting typo since you typically use your right index for "j" and your left index for "b" (and the keys are not as close together as they appear to be).
Hah!! No that is an honest typo and I did not do it in purpose. There was no insult intended. I'll edit my post.

Reactions: jdoll021

QquegChristian

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010

I hate to keep bringing up Microsoft's tech on the Surface devices, but they adapt and change to your appearance. It works whether I'm wearing glasses or not, or wearing a hat, etc. You could gain 100 pounds and grow your hair out and it would be learning about those changes each time you unlock, over time. But supposedly it is also accurate enough to tell the difference between identical twins.

And this is 2-year old Microsoft tech. I've no doubt that Apple can improve upon it.

But again, I still think it'll be annoying if you can't unlock the phone in your lap. So I'm not saying this is better than TouchID, just that most of the issues people are worried about do not happen on the Surface Pro. The issue that DOES happen, is that you have to be looking at the screen and within the range of the camera. That's the thing to worry about.

On the Siri thing... this rumor is talking about not having TouchID under the screen, but that doesn't mean they can't have a virtual home button. You'd just press and hold the bottom of the screen to activate Siri. It's already a fake button on the iPhone7, so it would feel and work relatively the same... however, you'd lose the little circular outline to guide your finger to the right spot. I'd imagine they'd give you more wiggle room on the screen-only version... let you miss the circle a little bit, while still working.

Reactions: kdarling

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
TouchID has only been around for 4 years - ain't nobody gonna believe they're gonna scrap it ALREADY, especially since the latest TB MacBooks and the current iPads have it. If you think this is legit, you are certifiable. This ain't some fly-by-night "feature" that is launched and then dropped as fast as it arrived, like the crap from Android vendors, this is APPLE - they think long, slowly and VERY cautiously about technologies they integrate into their products - this is key to the Apple ecosystem at the present time, and to DROP it for no logical reason? You are INSANE if you give even passing, superficial credence to this nonsense - to even consider it MAY be happening, you are clearly out of touch with how Apple operates.

Another day, another pointless, baseless rumour (that's what rumours ARE, after all.)
[doublepost=1499213490][/doublepost]

Know what else works in the dark? TouchID. ;)

All this is true...unless they've found a way to make biometric authencation better and faster. I can't imagine what they could do that's better and faster then Touch ID. But if they have something then I don't think Apple will have a problem replacing it. Especially if they can't get it to work under the display.

reh2109

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2017
Ever thought about the touch ID on the side of the phone? Asus does that with their newest Zenbook Q325UA (which I have). The fingerprint scanner on the side of the very thin laptop and it works excellent and fast! So... who knows...???

carpleror

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2014
Agree with everything you said.

To answer your question, infrared is how it would work. Just like how security cameras provide "night vision"

If there is a remaining issue with retinal identification, it would be the awkwardness of lining it up with your face every time. I would no doubt go back to no password on my phone, if they ditch touch ID. Although I was perfectly fine not requiring one pre-touch ID, so this decision doesn't affect me much.
I had no problem without a password prior to TouchID either, but it's been 4 years now, times have (slightly) changed, and I wouldn't feel comfortable not having my phone protected. I would quicker move to actually typing in a password than using the facial or retinal recognition. I mean don't get me wrong, the tech is really cool, I just don't think it's secure enough yet and it poses awkward logistical issues (like lining your eye up to the sensor like you said). That's why TouchID was perfect, most of the time you wake the display by pressing the Home button anyway, adding a fingerprint sensor into it just made going from a dark screen to an unlocked phone more seamless.
[doublepost=1499573519][/doublepost]
Lies no one is leaving, it's all talk #fakepost I hear people going to leave after every iPhone and they are still here
I would normally agree with you, but I think it's different this time. Without the headphone jack, yeah it's a bit of a hassle, but Apple's offered dongles (that everyone hates) and there's a plethora of wireless headphones on the market. So it's not as big a deal as it sounds. Removing the fingerprint sensor, however, poses much more issues. Other biometric sensors are not as secure as the fingerprint sensors and they're awkward to use. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more techies leaving this generation than last, followed by regular users next year after they've seen what it's like living without a fingerprint sensor.

For me, the only thing tying me to iPhone right now is iOS, and I hate that. Every year it becomes harder and harder to justify staying simply because I don't want to learn a new OS (and I've had almost every iPhone since the 3G).

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
I predict that the iPhone 8 will have its home button on the back.

The front screen will show an image of a home button, while directly behind it the actual rear-mounted button will include a low-res camera that will show a video image of your finger placement at the same position on the front screen. The combination of the video positioning feedback and haptic feedback will make the use of the new home button a truly seamless Apple experience.

Last edited:

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
"No touch ID" is stupid...this guy is completely wrong...has he ever been right?

Erm Yes..

Never ceases to amaze me how many ill informed posters on here will cast doubt on anything Ming-Chi Kuo reports. The irony is they obviously haven't checked his record because its very good. Would Macrumors keep posting his stuff if he was completely wrong all the time?

Cult of Mac did an analysis of his reporting a few years ago, this shows his record between 2011 and 2015. Hardly any of it is inaccurate and what is, is mostly due to the timing being slightly off

Year Prediction Outcome

2015 iPhone 6s coming in fall with tougher aluminum case in new colors, including Rose Gold. Also featuring Force Touch; A9 chip; 12-Megapixel camera and more Correct

2014 New Apple TV with motion-tracking technology will be announced in the fall. Wrong

2014 Apple will unveil a 12-inch, redesigned MacBook Air with Retina display in the fall. Correct

2014 A bigger 5.5-inch iPhone will ship separately at the end of the year. Correct, but timing wrong

2014 The 4.7-inch iPhone 6 is on track for a fall release with a 1334×750 resolution. Correct

2014 Apple will unveil the iWatch in the third quarter. There will be two models with 1.3-inch and 1.5-inch
flexible AMOLED displays. Expect wireless charging, a 200-250 mAh battery, a Sapphire cover, biometric recognition capabilities, and NFC.
Mostly right

2014 The third-gen iPad mini will get updated with an A8 chip and Touch ID while the current model will likely be sold at a lower cost. Correct

2014 The second-gen iPad Air will be announced in the fall with an A8 chip, Touch ID, and 8-megapixel camera. Correct

2014 Apple will release a lower-cost iMac in the second quarter. Correct

2013 Apple will introduce the iPhone 5s in the summer. Correct

2013 The fifth-gen iPad will be significantly thinner and lighter with new bezel, 7.5mm thickness, and 64-bit A7X processor. Correct

2013 The second iPad mini will be Retina. Correct

2013 Apple will kill the iPhone 4s and repackage the iPhone 5 in a cheaper, plastic model with multiple colors. Correct

2013 The 5s home button will be convex instead of concave, and there will be a 128GB model. Wrong

2013 The iPhone 5s will feature a Sapphire fingerprint sensor in its home button, an A7 chip, an improved camera, a dual-LED flash, and come in gold. Correct

2013 Apple will phase out the non-Retina MacBook Pro completely in the fall. Correct

2013 The MacBook Air will not get a Retina display and instead get a processor upgrade to Intel’s Haswell chipset in June. Haswell also coming to the iMac. Correct

2013 Deals with content providers are keeping Apple’s bigger plans for the TV at bay, so don’t expect anything major in that area until at least 2014. Sounds right

2013 There will be a minor Apple TV refresh within the first quarter. Correct

2012 Redesigned iPod Nano, iPod touch and iPhone 5 launch in September. Correct

2012 Tweaked fourth-gen iPad will be released in the fall. Correct

2012 iPad mini will be announced in September. Correct

2012 13-inch Retina MacBook Pro coming by end of year. Correct

2012 Retina MacBook Pro coming at WWDC with SSD/HDD options and no disc drive. Correct

2012 Apple will kill the 17-inch MacBook Pro. Correct

2011 MacBook Air with Thunderbolt will go intro production in May. Correct

2011 The iPhone 4s will feature slight design modifications from the iPhone 4 and come with A5 chip, improved camera, dual baseband. Fall release planned. Correct

2011 Apple will ship the white iPhone 4 in April. Correct

2011 Apple will not put a Retina display in the iPad 2. Correct

Kuo used to work for Digitimes and often reported incorrect rumours but since he has moved to KGI his track record has been excellent which suggests he/KGI are much more discerning about what they report.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
He's right about a lot of things but think it's unlikely he's correct about this.

If anything they just put it on the back which is better than nothing I guess.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
He's right about a lot of things but think it's unlikely he's correct about this.

If anything they just put it on the back which is better than nothing I guess.

I think those who are anti fps at the back should not dismiss it without actually first using it.
Give it a go and you may be surprised how easy it is to use. Personally I find it much better at the back for "plus" size phone when unlocking one-handed. It is easier than fps on the front as you don't need to shift the phone in the palm so your thumb can reach the fps.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I think it has something to do with the iphone 8 name, that gets all rumors screwed up.
The anniversary iphone of 2017 won' t be called the iphone 8 , but iphone ..... edition or something like that.
So these rumors about going full facial recog and dropping touchid, could be about the 2018 iphone 8 and not the edition that will launch this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.