Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

All three iPhones rumored to be launched in 2017 will retain Lightning connectors with the addition of USB-C Power Delivery for faster charging, including an all-new OLED model with a larger L-shaped battery and updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models, according to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Lightning-iPhone-7.png

An excerpt from his latest research note obtained by MacRumors:
New 2H17 models may all support fast charging. We believe all three new iPhones launching in 2H17 will support fast charging by the adoption of Type-C Power Delivery technology (while still retaining the Lightning port). A key technical challenge lies with ensuring product safety and stable data transmission during a fast charge. In order to achieve that goal, we think Apple will adopt TI's power management and Cypress's Power Delivery chip solutions for the new iPhone models. We note the OLED version may have a faster charging speed thanks to a 2-cell L shaped battery pack design.
Kuo expects Apple to retain the Lightning port given it has a slightly slimmer design compared to a USB-C port, to sustain MFi Program licensing income from Lightning accessories, and because he believes USB-C's high-speed data transmission is "still a niche application" for iPhone.

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro already supports USB 3.0 speeds and fast charging with a Lightning to USB-C cable, while iPhones and other devices with a Lightning connector still transfer at USB 2.0 speeds.

Kuo's prediction comes just two days after The Wall Street Journal seemingly reported that at least one upcoming iPhone model would have a USB-C port instead of a Lightning connector. However, the report's wording was somewhat vague and sparked a lot of confusing reaction among the Apple community.

Apple's latest MacBook Pro models are equipped with Thunderbolt 3 ports, which share the same connector design as USB-C, while the 12-inch MacBook also has a USB-C port. Apple could still bundle a Lightning to USB-C cable with its next iPhones to allow for connectivity with those notebooks out of the box.

Article Link: Ming-Chi Kuo Says All 2017 iPhones Will Have Lightning Connectors With USB-C Fast Charging

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
There we go. I wouldn't mind USB-C for all devices, but I just don't see Apple going through the pain of doing so now when they are clearly heading towards zero wires soon.
2017 (8), 2018 (8S), 2019 (9) = lightning and wireless charging
2020 = iPhone 10 wireless only

Last edited:

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011
I trust Kuo more than anyone else but this makes me sad. We could have had a future where the only cable we need is USB-C. Instead, we will have 2 different cables. At least I hope that we will get a USB-C to Lightning so we can connect iPhones to MacBooks.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I hope this means data transfer via Lightning won't still be limited to USB 2.0 speeds.

It also sounds like people who have the 29W MacBook charger with a Lightning to USB-C cable who use it to charge The 12.9 inch iPad Pro twice as quickly will be able to charge the new iPhones with it much more quickly.

AG.47

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2016
It's nice to see Apple catching up with other manufacturers: OLED, edge-to-edge display, big batteries, fast charging and wireless charging have all been available on Android phones for a few years now.

Last edited:

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I have been hoping for fast charging for awhile now. If I can add 20% charge in a few minutes, then totally battery becomes less important (although you still have to worry about days where you don't have access to power).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I hope that also means fast data transfer. As the iPhone's internal storage increases updating apps has become quite a chore. (I still tether to my Mac and I don't have auto update on because I don't always want to update an app the minute it's released).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I trust Kuo more than anyone else but this makes me sad. We could have had a future where the only cable we need is USB-C. Instead, we will have 2 different cables. At least I hope that we will get a USB-C to Lightning so we can connect iPhones to MacBooks.
Those cables exist today. If Apple includes it in the box they will likely leave out the USB-A to Lightning cable. So lots of people will have to buy the older cable separately.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Yes, fact-charging would be a great feature.
How about alternative-fact-charging?

Apple seems to be in a transitional phases with its connections. Will they ship a Lightning-to-USB-C cable with the new phones, so they're compatible with the new computers? Or will they still have the old USB cables, requiring a dongle to connect to their own machines? It's getting messy. I agree that wireless connection makes sense, but we're not there yet and this transition is getting a bit confusing.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX

d4zza

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
It's nice to see Apple catching up with other manufacturers: OLED, edge-to-edge display, big batteries, fast charging and wireless charging have all been available on Android phones for a few years now.

Which is fine. Most iPhone users I know, including myself, don't need to be right on the edge of new tech. I usually find that new iPhone features are reliable which is a bigger priority to me than new bells and whistles.

I only say that from my own Android experiences having new tech implemented but unreliable, not sure if it's like that for every user/model.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

1. OLED wasn't mature and Apple has to manufacture 50M+ of them. Not so easy.
2. Agreed, but no curve please.
3. Big batteries != Battery life
4. Fast charging would be nice. 12w chargers helps a bit.
5. Is nice, but causes more heat with the body being glass and the charge being wireless.

Looking at these points it's no wonder the Note 7 exploded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.