Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
3. don't bring your minot covered ipad2 to a meeting. it will highjack the meeting with compliments and curiosity and eventually will annoy your boss. :)

It's indeed a beautiful cover. I still have hope V.2 will address some of these functionality issues down the road. Then, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

rbn

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
It's indeed a beautiful cover. I still have hope V.2 will address some of these functionality issues down the road. Then, I will buy one in a heartbeat.

Is there confirmation from Miniot that V.2 is in development to address these issues?

DJAznSensation

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Deciding to stick with my order. I did email them about the negative reviews out there and their policies about returning and they emailed me back with this:

Dear - - -,

Thank you for your email.
It is true, the Miniot Cover has no hinge, we never said there was one, but people appears to expect one.
If you are not satisfied you can send your Miniot Cover back to us.
If you have doubts, you may consider to cancel your order.
We are improving the Miniot Cover all the time, and as soon as we can,
we will inform our customers about this.

Best regards,

Greet van den Berg
iwood@miniot.com

therock1111

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
Awesome customer service

I just wanted to give much praise and credit to the wonderful customer service at Miniot. They handled all my concerns and problems promptly and with dignity. I have to say if you are on the fence get the case and try it because Miniot will help you with any problems.

Thank you Miniot for your great customer service!

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I agree 100%. Miniot team has been nothing but courteous and patient with me. It can't be easy dealing with hundreds of angry customers wanting their money back or canceling order.

They are sending me a replacement, and I can't wait to try again.

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I am supposed to get a replacement for my Miniot cover, and I've been told they made some improvements.

improved: cover is smaller, exactly the same size as the iPad2; no buckles; magnets much stronger and in better position.

Has anyone received this improved cover yet?

Can't wait to receive mine! :)

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
I received my cover today after what seems like an eternity (Apr. 3/4 order date). Cover looks very nice, custom engraving is impressive, and it looks pretty close to the computer generated image of the piece of wood I selected. Only downside in my opinion is the cover is shinier than I expected - I thought cherry wood would be more of a matte finish.

But on to the part you all care about - the magnets on mine connected on the second try and every time since then. I haven't tried it with the iPad yet because I'm at work, but I'll see how it goes tonight.

So far though, it looks like some of the early production problems may have been worked out.

I'll post additional pics and impressions this evening.

Last edited:

Sdevante

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2008
After getting home and playing with the cover a little bit, I am fairly pleased with the outcome. Issues I have heard are: 1) Cover overlaps the edge of the iPad; 2) Cover sits crooked; 3) Magnets are too weak so the case won't snap into stand mode; 4) Warped wood or buckling.

As to the first issue, the cover fits flush against the edges.

2) If I lay the cover down on the iPad at a 45 degree angle, the magnets cause it to rotate into place. Even if its a few mm off, the cover slowly rotates into the flush position.

3) As I think I said in the last post, after the first try, the magnets easily snap into the stand mode.

4) No warped wood or buckling.

There are only two cons that I can see. The first is that in stand mode, the iPad sits very nearly vertical. I was under the impression that it would be at a somewhat slanted angle. If it stays vertical, I would be worried about accidentally knocking the iPad over onto its face. I am hoping this issue eases up once the wood acclimates and the liner gets used to flexing.

The only other con is the lack of a hinge. The smart cover is very easy to flip over, whereas this cover requires an extra second or two of effort. It doesn't really bother me, but if this had a hinge, it would be perfect.

Finally, it IS possible to place the cover on the rear of the iPad and enjoy stability in your hand. First, the liner side sits against the back of the iPad, contrary to what just about every Youtube video shows. Second, it doesn't sit flat on the back. The magnets sit on the left side of the near the glass, about where the hinge on the smart cover sits. This causes the wood to make a V shape that sits in the palm of your hand, and then the rest of the cover flaps, but it's not too bad.

I say this because the Youtube videos I have seen all show people trying to use it flat against the back, woodside up, and that not only doesn't stick, but the magnets interact with the right side of the iPad turning it on and off. If you do it right, its very comfortable and has no issues.

CONCLUSION: If you want a hinge, buy a smart cover. Other than that, I am very pleased with this cover and I think once its broken in, the stand angle should ease up. This is a well made product, especially the custom engraving, and I think it is worth the money.

5788792852_5ba7a29834_z.jpg

5788238241_b5b315f8c0_z.jpg

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
That's a beautiful piece of cherry you picked out. Love the grain. I do wish the finish was a bit less shiny, but it does look great. I think I'll be reordering one of these, especially with the changes they say they're making.

Appreciate the pics and feedback.

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I placed another order today for one. With the new changes I'm excited to see it. I guess I'll use my Oberon when traveling, and the Miniot closer to home or something.

whatdoiknw

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
oh yeah, has anybody tried the Miniot and see how it fits with a back shell? (something like the switcheasy shell...etc.)

i'm guessing since the miniot fit is perfect edge to edge that it wouldn't really hang on well if you're using any time of shell on the back since they all need to clip onto the ipads front.

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I finally received my replacement cover from Miniot and got a chance to play around a little. It's definitely a better fit with stronger magnets. I didn't have any issues with the cover curling up and locking into the position. Also the cover positioned more firmly on my iPad.

A while ago I talked about wanting to fuse Apple's Smart cover with Miniot cover because I really like the hinges on Smart cover and I love the look of Miniot cover. Last night I went for it. :) Basically I bought a used Smart cover from ebay for around $20 and cut the hinge out with a strip of polyurethane attached to it. Then I lifted the black cloth from Miniot cover just enough to attach Smart cover hinge by inserting/gluing the strip of polyurethane between the black cloth and wood cover. It actually came out better than I thought. There is a slight misalignment but not enough to bother me. I would've preferred black hinge instead of light blue, but I didn't want to waste $50+ for hinge color. It seems to function pretty well, and I haven't encountered any major issues yet. Here are some pictures for you guys.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 107

ScottJ

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
SoCal
I finally received my replacement cover from Miniot and got a chance to play around a little. It's definitely a better fit with stronger magnets. I didn't have any issues with the cover curling up and locking into the position. Also the cover positioned more firmly on my iPad.

A while ago I talked about wanting to fuse Apple's Smart cover with Miniot cover because I really like the hinges on Smart cover and I love the look of Miniot cover. Last night I went for it. :) Basically I bought a used Smart cover from ebay for around $20 and cut the hinge out with a strip of polyurethane attached to it. Then I lifted the black cloth from Miniot cover just enough to attach Smart cover hinge by inserting/gluing the strip of polyurethane between the black cloth and wood cover. It actually came out better than I thought. There is a slight misalignment but not enough to bother me. I would've preferred black hinge instead of light blue, but I didn't want to waste $50+ for hinge color. It seems to function pretty well, and I haven't encountered any major issues yet. Here are some pictures for you guys.

Wow! That came out much better than I would have expected!

whatdoiknw

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2011
you had my thoughts exactly. And looks like a great job. Maybe you should post that on miniot's facebook page, lol.

xStatiCa

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2009
Now why did you have to do that! Now I want another case :). Nice job. What did you use to glue it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.