Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
That was an excellent review on the video. It really is a beautiful product, but I have to agree after seeing it in action. It's not nearly as convenient as a smart cover is. Really goes to show how really well thought out the smart cover is.

I've cancelled my order with Miniot. I'll probably be going with an Oberon Design cover instead so the back is protected.

Good luck all, hope you enjoy it when you get it!

Did you get an answer from Miniot?

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
Cancelled my order too, received a cancellation confirmation within about 4-5 hours.

Such a shame. Magnetic strip of the smart cover combined with this would be a killer combo.

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Hmm...after seeing that Youtube video, I am wondering if there is a way to fuse smart cover with Miniot cover. Take the smart cover hinge and attach it to Miniot cover somehow? :)

travis5000

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
just adding another tally to the cancellation count. Smart Cover will be on mine, maybe ill glue some popsicle sticks to it to make a miniot cover that works well :eek:

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I too got a response saying 'We'll refund your money as soon as we can.' I would guess early next week it'll hit.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I must say, after the Video review I was surprised I didn't notice that it did not have the same magnet attachment as the Smart cover.
this prevents it from aligning better and you can't flip the cover to the back, although I saw that the magnets on the edge switch of the ipad even when it is positioned on the back.(and probably means the magnets are stronger then the the ones on the Smart cover)

not clicking into place when the cover is rolled is just that the fabric needs to stretch a little, and I think to force stretch it a little would easily solve this.
( this is much more easy and faster then sending it back for a new one :LOL)

I am very tempted to buy a Miniot case AND and Smart cover to try and, remove the magnet hinge on the Smart cover and transplant it to the Miniot cover, this would probably make it a very spiffy looking cover :)

Last edited:

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I too got a response saying 'We'll refund your money as soon as we can.' I would guess early next week it'll hit.

Thanks,
I finally received the email saying they will refund. Let's hope it happens soon.
I am bummed out the cover is not that functional. I love the wood idea and design. Maybe down the road they will fix these issues.

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Finally received mine today..... As expected, it has all the same issues I've been hearing about.

1. The magnet won't hold the curled shape
  2. The cover is slightly larger than iPad2
  3. The magenet interferes with the sleep function and forces your ipad to go to sleep

And mine has some defective wood/crack in the middle of it as well. It's not a huge eyesore, but you can definitely see it. I really don't like returning stuff, but I don't know what else I can do at this point. sigh....

diacritic

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2010
It's been kind of funny reading the early posts commenting on this product and comparing them with what people are saying about it now (the same goes for the Speck PixelSkin and the first generation Yoobao).

It's just a lesson to us all: don't buy a product until you read the reviews! Sorry to those of you who are losing money over this but hopefully Miniot will give those of you who request it a full refund including shipping, return shipping, and duties.

Pretty, yes, functional, no....

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Not happy, not happy at all. It's pretty but the form does not function.

It works great as a screen cover but as soon as you try to roll it up it just fails miserably.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Just got my refund today.
It's a bummer, beautiful case but they for sure did not thought it all.

If they implemented a hinge system similar to Apple's Smart Cover, they would totally redeem themselves.

chael

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
Just arrived via FedEx today, about a week earlier than expected too. Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate here, or maybe I just got lucky with a really really good cover, but I LOVE it. Perfect sizing, nice and flush with the iPad's bezel, strong magnets, curls and clicks/holds strongly into place on the FIRST try every time, great typing angle, and beautiful engraving.

Everyone who ordered it pretty much knew what they were getting themselves into anyway with this kind of cover, so why all the "inconvenience" complaints? For those who like hinges, BUY A SMART COVER. It's that simple. Don't knock the product on something the makers intentionally left out. I wanted an even more minimalist front cover, one without metal and hinges and doodads and whatnot, and this fits the bill exactly. This is NOT a full body case, nor is it much better or much worse than Apple's Smart Cover. It all depends on what your needs are. Know what you are getting before you buy the product and maybe there wouldn't be so much disappointment.

With that said, again, to those who already received one and hate it due to all the aforementioned issues (incorrect size and bunching, magnet-curling fail, cracks in the wood, etc.), it really is unfortunate and all the blame should go to the Miniot team for that. Hopefully you all get a replacement from them ASAP. Guess luck was on my side and got a cover exactly as advertised, as it should have been with everyone who ordered in the first place.

But yes, I will agree with one major gripe on here and it's the fact that it activates the sleep/wake function when stuck on the back of the iPad. But if you're gonna be using it in the landscape/typing angle most of the time or aren't bothered by taking a couple seconds and turning off sleep/wake in Settings if your cover must absolutely be on the back of your iPad for the time being and not anywhere else, then it isn't too much of an issue.

Quick snaps:

5681640885_9cbb67f74a_b.jpg

5682207338_4aa254b399_b.jpg

5682207456_a32b746017_b.jpg

5682207754_7b9e27ec59_b.jpg

5681641903_cdcdee9a78_b.jpg

5682208312_98c0c5b2fe_b.jpg

Aside from the sleep/wake nuisance when placed behind, overall I love this cover and got exactly what I wanted and expected. The aesthetics of it are just too sexy and definitely trumps any of the cover's shortcomings. Hopefully the crew at Miniot improves their craftsmanship / consistency and delivers (pun intended) on their future products.

Best of luck to everyone else waiting for one!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Just arrived via FedEx today, about a week earlier than expected too. Maybe I'm just playing devil's advocate here, or maybe I just got lucky with a really really good cover, but I LOVE it. Perfect sizing, nice and flush with the iPad's bezel, strong magnets, curls and clicks/holds strongly into place on the FIRST try every time, great typing angle, and beautiful engraving.

Everyone who ordered it pretty much knew what they were getting themselves into anyway with this kind of cover, so why all the "inconvenience" complaints? For those who like hinges, BUY A SMART COVER. It's that simple. Don't knock the product on something the makers intentionally left out. I wanted an even more minimalist front cover, one without metal and hinges and doodads and whatnot, and this fits the bill exactly. This is NOT a full body case, nor is it much better or much worse than Apple's Smart Cover. It all depends on what your needs are. Know what you are getting before you buy the product and maybe there wouldn't be so much disappointment.

With that said, again, to those who already received one and hate it due to all the aforementioned issues (incorrect size and bunching, magnet-curling fail, cracks in the wood, etc.), it really is unfortunate and all the blame should go to the Miniot team for that. Hopefully you all get a replacement from them ASAP. Guess luck was on my side and got a cover exactly as advertised, as it should have been with everyone who ordered in the first place.

But yes, I will agree with one major gripe on here and it's the fact that it activates the sleep/wake function when stuck on the back of the iPad. But if you're gonna be using it in the landscape/typing angle most of the time or aren't bothered by taking a couple seconds and turning off sleep/wake in Settings if your cover must absolutely be on the back of your iPad for the time being and not anywhere else, then it isn't too much of an issue.

Quick snaps:

Aside from the sleep/wake nuisance when placed behind, overall I love this cover and got exactly what I wanted and expected. The aesthetics of it are just too sexy and definitely trumps any of the cover's shortcomings. Hopefully the crew at Miniot improves their craftsmanship / consistency and delivers (pun intended) on their future products.

Definitely beautiful. Mine is flawless but it would be even better if it worked as well as Apple's Smart Cover.

Right now I'm tring to think of a way to attach a spare Smart Cover to this thing. Taking some cues from this...

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Smart-Cover-Teardown/5089/1

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
chael,

Beautiful. What wood is it?

I got my refund this morning, so looks like it's taking 5 to 6 business days for it to hit.

jfk683

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
chael,

Beautiful. What wood is it?

I got my refund this morning, so looks like it's taking 5 to 6 business days for it to hit.

How did you exactly cancel your order? It has been nothing but trouble so far for me with this process, plus I didn't know it did not have the magnetic hinges. I ordered last Wednesday. I sent an email asking to cancel... will this get the job done?

Thanks!

JK

JeffMorse

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
I just sent them an email and received a response the same day, about 4 hours later. The refund came 6 business days after that.

If you don't get a response by this afternoon I'd resend the email. They're shut down for the day now I would think.

nkawal

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2011
NYC
Same here, I emailed them asking to cancel my order and got a response from them within 4 hours. Money was actually refunded in 4 business days.

jfk683

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
I just sent them an email and received a response the same day, about 4 hours later. The refund came 6 business days after that.

If you don't get a response by this afternoon I'd resend the email. They're shut down for the day now I would think.

Thanks for the quick response. One last question: how long between when you placed your order and then cancelled your order?

I do hope they do well and find a better way to deliver their product, as it is a great idea and clearly a beautiful product.

JK

koifysh

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
Hi,

Do you guys just reply the email to cancel the order or what ? I emailed them twice ( yesterday, today) to cancel but I got no responds from Miniot yet at all ?
Any ideas ? :(

itanner

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
just got informed by miniot my order from april 19th wont be shipped out tell june 18.
thats about 2 months just to wait for a "case"

from reading this whole thread it looks like a lot of people seem to be very displeased with this company in general and as am i one of those people who paid good money for case that shouldn't take this long to be delivered

i officially emailed miniot back and canceled my order
does anybody know what time frame is for to show the money back up on their credit card account?

mokeiko

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007

Quick snaps:

That looks really nice, great photos.

egghead6398

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
I sent them an email about all the issues I am having with my cover and asked for a replacement. I got a reply in 2 days with prepaid PDF label, and they were very nice about it. I was told I will receive a replacement in 2 weeks once I ship out my current cover.

A couple of observations after using the cover for 3-4 days now.

1. the issue with magnet not holding the curled up shape has been fixed. I think the fabric stretched with few days of use.

2. the cover is definitely not for everyone, but some of these issues (with functionality of the cover) are not that bad once you get used to it.

3. don't bring your minot covered ipad2 to a meeting. it will highjack the meeting with compliments and curiosity and eventually will annoy your boss. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.